Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Would I need the library software?

If I get a 900, would I need to install the Sony library software on my computer at all? If I want to buy from the Sony store, I can do so from the unit itself. And I've heard so much to indicate that Calibre beats the pants off of the Sony software as far as management.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Dutchreader
Dutchreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily EReader
I just got the 900 myself and indeed you can tranfer Ebooks onto the 900 directly from the Sony store.
However if you want to upload your own content (pdf, doc etc.) you still need the software that comes with the unit to be able to do so.
I have several of my own documents that I want to transfer over, so I did.

I just also installed ADE on my PC in order to download / read / transfer Ebooks from my local library onto my 900, which also seems to work just fine.
Dutchreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchreader View Post
However if you want to upload your own content (pdf, doc etc.) you still need the software that comes with the unit to be able to do so.

I thought Calibre could do this?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Dutchreader
Dutchreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily EReader
Well you might be correct there. I just have not been able to try that step yet .....
Dutchreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
I thought Calibre could do this?
Yes, it does. And you even can do it manually (drag and drop). You only have to register your reader with Adobe Digital Editions once (eBook library from Sony uses that very seem registration) for being able to read DRMed content (ePUB and PDF).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need Reader Library to be able to purchase eBooks from Sony. And that includes the free ones.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You need Reader Library to be able to purchase eBooks from Sony. And that includes the free ones.
Not on the 900... you can create an account and purchase straight from the device over 3G.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
You might need it to borrow from online libraries but that's probably also possible via Adobe's ADE - other than that it's not actually needed, although might be useful if you made annotations on the device, as you could then (AIUI) view them on the desktop machine.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Not on the 900... you can create an account and purchase straight from the device over 3G.
This is true. I did forget about that.

So basically, you don't need the software. But you do need Reader Library or Calibre in order to manage collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is true. I did forget about that.

So basically, you don't need the software. But you do need Reader Library or Calibre in order to manage collections.
If you choose to use collections. I've never bothered with them myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
ziegl027
Addict

Ignorant question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you choose to use collections. I've never bothered with them myself.
"Collections" are like folders, right? A filing system? This would be pretty vital for me. Not for my casual reading but for articles I need to refer to from time to time.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Coorect, like a folder system. The collections run off the tags that the books have and a single book can appear in more than one collection. If you tag a book with Thriller and Fiction, it will appear in both folders on the reader.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
You might need it to borrow from online libraries but that's probably also possible via Adobe's ADE - other than that it's not actually needed, although might be useful if you made annotations on the device, as you could then (AIUI) view them on the desktop machine.
I think you're right on both counts, you dont need the Sony software to get books from the library, but you'll need it if you want to print notes, annotations you've made.

Don't you also need the Sony software to load MP3s and audiobooks? I dont think Calibre does this.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Don't you also need the Sony software to load MP3s and audiobooks? I dont think Calibre does this.
MP3's you can just drag and drop onto the Reader with Windows Explorer. No need to use EBL.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Like the earlier models, the Sony is mostly a mass storage device when you plug it into a USB port. That means you can copy over eBooks/MP3s/etc manually as a last resort.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote