Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #16
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
I don't see why I would have a conflict with my static IP addresses. At my parents', the computers are configured to have static IP addresses as well, which happen to be the same as the ones I use at one.
Normally, there shouldn't be any conflict, because the static IP addresses are configured outside the dynamic IP addresses range.
Switching routers would mean reinstalling everything on both sides.
BTW, I use DHCP.

The things I've tried so far :
- completely disabling static IP addresses.
- disabling encryption.
- changing the wireless broadcast from "mixed" to "G only"
- updating the router's firmware

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. The router can give dynamic addresses without problem, as my boyfriend can connect his computer wirelessly, and with a dynamic address given automatically by the router. My mother can do the same with her notebook.
This problem only happens with the iLiad, and I can't understand why.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
If you had configured both router the same way,
switching them would just be a matter of re-entering
the login data.

Unless of course you want to connect to both router with your iLiad.

And unless... or... if...

Just trying to help.

Dirk

P.S.: Have a look here, especially where "limited or no connectivity" is mentioned.

Last edited by DigiDirk; 05-05-2008 at 10:25 AM.
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Thanks ! It's just that I was only visiting my parents, and I don't exactly live nearby
It's really strange and annoying. I guess only static IP address would solve the problem for me...
Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
Thanks ! It's just that I was only visiting my parents, and I don't exactly live nearby
It's really strange and annoying. I guess only static IP address would solve the problem for me...
What you can do if static works for you, is set your DHCP server to start serving numbers at .10...(for example) this will give you .1-.9 for devices you want to have static IPs. For example, other routers, WAPs, printers, and of course your iLiad. This way you get the benefit of DHCP and still can use static on some devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
hmm, sounds like youve tried most easy combos.

does your router have wired ethernet too? does that work ok with iLiad with dhcp.
(using a wired connection its alot easier to try things out on the wifi too)

ive not seen any issues with the dhcp, (except for one, when an early version of busybox had the wrong udhcp scripts).

only other thing i noticed, when looking at scripts, was that the wired scripts actually try the dhcp twice, as they mention that some dhcp servers are slow.

did you install mxrvt? (or ssh and wired ethernet)

if so what you could try is, run wireless.sh manually
if you turn off encryption, you can simply type:
wireless.sh ssid
where ssid is your network name

if you run the debug version of my wireless.sh, as mentioned it should be generating a text file which will confirm your dhcp issue... we may also be able then to try to run udhcp twice

if your feeling brave, the following will bring up the wlan manually, (with encyption off)

modprobe cfio
ifconfig wlan0 key off
iwconfig wlan0 essid "ssid"

(at this stage iwconfig wlan0, will tell you its status)

udhcpc -n -p /var/run/udhcpc.wlan0.pid -t 4 -i wlan0

(to start dhcp, you might want to try this twice, if it fails)

finally, you can type
ifconfig -a
will show you the state of the wireless interface, and ip address..

only really practical if you have wired ethernet working and ssh installed imho
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 AM   #21
Vanessa
French newbie

Mmm... I feel brave, but... do I have to type this into the shell ?
I already tried to run wireless.sh, but I didn't get any txt file generated.
And yes, my router is also wired. Wired internet works perfectly, as long as I use static IP address...
I'm gonna try with dynamic IP address. I updated the router's firmware, maybe it will work this time.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #22
Vanessa
French newbie

Ok, I did what you advised, when I arrived at iwconfig wlan0 essid "myssid", I got :
SET failed on device wlan0 : Device or resource busy

What is that ?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #23
Vanessa
French newbie

Alright. So I got lots of informations I don't really know how to use :

after typing in config -a :
lo
link encap:local loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask : 255.0.0.0
UP LOOKBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets : 8891 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets: 8891 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes: 301681 (294.6KiB) TX bytes:301681 (294.6KiB)

wlan0
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr: 00:1E:37:12:09:AC
inet addr:192.168.1.104 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:13 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:3151 (3.0KiB) TX bytes:3319 (3.2KiB)
Interrupt: 68

Any hint on what I should do next ?

(oh, and just before, it did something like :
adding dns 192.168.1.100
adding dns 192.168.1.101
adding dns 192.168.1.200
adding dns 194.230.1.103
adding dns 194.230.1.39

(dns ...1.100, 1.101, 1.200 are my static IP addresses)

And obviously, it also did something like attribute dns 192.164.1.104, but I couldn't see the result as it was on the other page and there was no way I could move up to see it (sorry, I know how to use the terminal on my mac, but on the iLiad, it's a bit different, and I'm really a newbie. 192.164.1.104 is the static DNS I attributed to the iLiad for it to connect to the wired internet)
Old 05-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #24
DigiDirk
Connoisseur

Quote:

[...]

wlan0
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr: 00:1E:37:12:09:AC
inet addr:192.168.1.104 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:13 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:3151 (3.0KiB) TX bytes:3319 (3.2KiB)
Interrupt: 68
This looks fine, the wlan0 adapter got an ip address, but...

Quote:

[...]

And obviously, it also did something like attribute dns 192.164.1.104, but I couldn't see the result as it was on the other page and there was no way I could move up to see it (sorry, I know how to use the terminal on my mac, but on the iLiad, it's a bit different, and I'm really a newbie. 192.164.1.104 is the static DNS I attributed to the iLiad for it to connect to the wired internet)
As you have typed - not copied - this... is it really 192.164.1.104
or is it 192.168.1.104?

That would be a mistake on both options.

You do know, that you have to give two different network adapters
(wlan0 / eth0 (dunno, is that its name?)) different ip adresses, do you?

That is, if 164 was a typo.

If not it's wrong just the same, because the router, your computers
and your iLiad have to be on the same subnet.

Dirk
Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #25
Vanessa
French newbie

No, it was a typo. It's 192.168.1.104.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:09 AM   #26
DigiDirk
Connoisseur

...so, if you want to use the same static ip address either for wlan0
and eth0 you have to make sure that only one adapter is connected
to the network at any given time.

...but I would advise against it. Use different ones, as you have more
than enough 192.168.1.[1..254] to play with. By the way what is your
router's ip?

On a typical setup it would be 192.168.1.1, a network administrator
would use 192.168.1.254 ...

Dirk

Last edited by DigiDirk; 05-08-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:12 AM   #27
Vanessa
French newbie

Mmm ? I'm not sure I really understand that. What do you mean, one adapter ?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #28
DigiDirk
Connoisseur

Your iLiad has two network adapters.

eth0 is the hardwired one, its mac address is on the back of your iLiad.

wlan0 is the wifi adapter, its mac address is obviously 00:1E:37:12:09:AC.

Two different network adapters, two different mac addresses

-> two different ip addresses!

This a common mistake to make, if mac address filtering is turned on
in the router's settings and the wifi mac address has not been added
to the allow list.

Dirk

P.S.: You connected exclusivly per wlan at your parents, right?

Last edited by DigiDirk; 05-08-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #29
Vanessa
French newbie

I didn't give the iLiad any static address for wifi. And of course, if I were to give it one, I would not use the same as the one I used for wired internet.

ATM, I can't do anything more with my iLiad, it's in never ending reboot, I can't even turn it off to do the reflash process. Any clue on what I should do ? Apparently, something I did yesterday created a real mess...
I tried the reset button, didn't work.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #30
DigiDirk
Connoisseur

The ouput of config -a did look promising...

The next step would have been to ping it from
your other computers...

As I do not know, would you did yesterday (in the same way as
I do not know how you set up your network or your expertise with it)
I'm at a loss here...

If you cannot shut it of, you can let the battery run empty
and try to do a reflash then.

No expert there as I had no need to reflash up to now.

Try to contact Adam B. or yokos I'd say.

Sorry and Good luck

Dirk