Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
ezziriah
ezziriah began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Adding my own books to the Kobo app

I have several books that are in ebook format using pdf and I'm trying to figure out how to add them to the Kobo app using my 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab but for the life of me I can't figure out how? can someone help me
ezziriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Unless something's changed really recently, the Kobo app only supports side loaded DRM-Free ePub, it doesn't support PDF.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
nope, unchanged, still not supporting own DRM-free pdfs.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Garence
Garence began at the beginning.

Device: iPod
Did you try using a file transfer app to move the files? This works on my Kobo iPod app.
Garence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Unless something's changed really recently, the Kobo app only supports side loaded DRM-Free ePub, it doesn't support PDF.
So he will have to convert them to epubs via Calibre & then side load them, correct?
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
The iOS Kobo app supports pdf. For Android I don't know.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
The iOS Kobo app supports pdf. For Android I don't know.
I was about to say "No, it doesn't" then I tried it! However it does not support Adobe DRM PDF, since the iOS app does not license Adobe RMSDK.

At any rate, there are plenty of PDF viewers for Android, and some that support Adobe DRM as well.

I was going to check the Android Kobo app, but don't have my Kobo account password handy.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
roadRAGE
roadRAGE began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab - Kobo
If you don't actually know that it is not possible then don't answer peoples questions with 'it's not possible' ... it is possible and here is how ... jeepers!

Convert your books using Calibre ebook coverter (use google it's free and it's easy to use) to epub ... you can do your entire library at once .... make sure to note what folder the converted book will be going too. After you convert your files follow the following instructions;

Instructions on how to put the file in the Galaxy

1. Plug in your galaxy Tab
2. Click Mass Storage
3. Click Mount
4. On your PC (Windows 7 instructions) click on My Computer and find the Removable Disk associated with your Galaxy – For me its Removable Disk (L

5. Double Click on (L
6. Inside this drive you will see several folders .. find the one that says ‘downloads’ and double click to open that folder

7. Paste your .epub files in that folder
8. Unmount (or eject from your computer) your Galaxy Tab
9. Unplug your Tab from your computer
10. Open your readers Hub (kobo)
11. At the bottom of your Galaxy you will see the house (home page ‘button’ and to the left the rectangle thing with lines it is .. press that ‘button’

12. The menu pops up that says import content … go ahead and click that option … it even has a nice and convenient erase from other location button …
13. Wahalaaa… you can now read on your Galaxy Tablet books that were NOT bought threw Kobo … I hate companies that try to monopolize your business like that!

Last edited by roadRAGE; 09-03-2011 at 04:15 PM.
roadRAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadRAGE View Post
If you don't actually know that it is not possible then don't answer peoples questions with 'it's not possible' ... it is possible and here is how ... jeepers!
I (and OP actually too) was talking about pdfs, not pdfs converted to epub.....
epub is not a problem, but that was not the question either ....!

My version of the android kobo app (I am in Europe) does not allow me to add PDFs, no problem at all with epubs. The market tells me there is a new version of the kobo app, but installation fails every time.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Here's a shot in the dark, but have you tried opening them with the kobo app from a file manager application? That's what I had to do last year in order to sideload any books into Aldiko on my Archos 5 IT(running Android 1.6). In that case, while sideloading was officially spported, Aldiko never found the books I was trying to load, no matter which folder they were in. Thankfully this has not been a problem since I went back to using Aldiko in May. In order to do this, you may need to clear defaults from whichever program typically opens pdfs on your phone. This also only worked in Astro. I tried a couple of other viewers and neither came up with the option of using Aldiko to open a pdf or epub file.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote