Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
[Old Thread] Problems with creating epubs w/ interlinear text

I'm trying to create interlinear epubs for language learning purposes. I created an .xhtml file with with a special table style based on Japanese Ruby text and converted it with Calibre. The output looks OK with the Calibre viewer and the Firefox epub plugin, but Adobe Digital Editions shows only the body text and not the blue interlinear translations below it.
Also when I try to upload it to my IPhone with Stanza, the formatting is not displayed correctly.

Therefore I'm wondering if the epub standard actually supports xhtml table and/or Ruby tags?

Can someone who has an actual hardware epub reader test whether the small test epub in the attachment is displayed correctly? (You should see black Spanish text with small blue English translations below.)

Also I'd appreciate any ideas regarding alternative markups for displaying interlinear text. (I included the not very sophisticated source .xhtml file in the attachment.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Epub_Interlinear.zip (17.3 KB, 181 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The difference could be caused by the fact that the calibre reader is based on the webkit browser. Calibre and Firefox are probably doing things not supported by the Epub standard.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
There is a sub-forum dedicated to epub authoring, you would get a lot more help there. I'm curious as to the answer to your question myself - I suspect that support for this type of function may not be great, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

BTW, this isn't even properly readable in Calibre on my system - I only see the spanish. It does look ok in Firefox. ADE also looks bad, and this means most of the hardware reading systems won't display either - they use ADE as their underlying engine.

Last edited by ldolse; 12-12-2010 at 09:34 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Also, it will depend on how much the reader itself supports. Take FBReader for example it only supports a minimal amount of formatting afforded by the EPUB spec.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
BTW, this isn't even properly readable in Calibre on my system - I only see the spanish. It does look ok in Firefox. ADE also looks bad, and this means most of the hardware reading systems won't display either - they use ADE as their underlying engine.
Thanks for testing this. I guess creating interlinear text epubs using table xhtml tags isn't possible.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Waya
Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Waya knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Any progress?
Waya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
The advice I provided in the previous post is still valid - the Calibre forum is not an ePub authoring forum. Queries regarding achieving this are better directed to the appropriate place.

I'd also recommend querying ePub working group themselves - they're really busy adding multimedia/interactivity to ePub, I'm sure it won't hurt to remind them that a lot of basic stuff that works in printed media still needs to be solved for ebooks before we start adding movies and javascript.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilingual, calibre, epub conversion, interlinear