Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Maybe they should fix this issue by connecting automatically when it is plugged in, then present the user with an option to "Disconnect and continue reading" on the KT screen. After all, someone who plugs in the Kobo to add some books may not notice the current message. On the other hand, someone who plugs the Kobo in to charge while reading would immediately notice my suggested message.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #17
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
As I was told in military read the fine manual before using new to you equipment. Lots of useful information in manuals for those smart enough to read them.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
arlette
arlette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ARC
still not working

I read the manual and tried all suggestions made here but still my computer nor lapton recongises my kobo arc. It's frustrating to have a brand new tablet/reader that does not cumminicate with the computer. I only can update data via the alternative of 'dropbox'.
My operating system is wondows 7. Can that be the problem? I already updated the computersoftware.
arlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlette View Post
I read the manual and tried all suggestions made here but still my computer nor lapton recongises my kobo arc. It's frustrating to have a brand new tablet/reader that does not cumminicate with the computer. I only can update data via the alternative of 'dropbox'.
My operating system is wondows 7. Can that be the problem? I already updated the computersoftware.
You may have more luck posting in the Kobo Tablets sub-forum at the top of the main Kobo forum. I was going to reply that it works fine with my Win 7-64 but that applies to Kobo readers rather than the Arc which is a tablet.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #20
amyfitzdc
amyfitzdc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 0560
2014 - Still Good Advice!

this is why i love Googling when i have technical issues! my Dad had an old Kobo eReader for years that he never used. i finally took it from him and have been trying to figure out how this eBook think works. and i had the problem with my computer not recognizing the Kobo. thanks to instructions by Sao, it was a quick fix! THANK YOU!
amyfitzdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #21
John0712
John0712 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N905
When I plug in my Kobo N905 to the Windows 8 PC, I am presented with two choices only - Connect or Cancel. There is no option to 'manage library'. When I use Connect, the Kobo thinks it is connected to the PC and battery charging initiates. However, it's a one sided affair. The PC denies all knowledge of a Kobo, but reluctantly recognises an unidentified device in the device manager. However it says it is not connected for lack of a driver. The Kobo has no driver.
I know the ports on the computer are good. I have hung all sorts of cameras, USB sticks, SD cards etc on them with no problems. The same occurs when I try to connect to my laptop running XP and I know the ports are good there.
However, I can connect the Kobo to a friend's Windows 8 PC and to the computer in the local library, otherwise I would have declared the Kobo a dead duck.
There is a slim possibility that the Kobo cable is faulty, but it seems unlikely.
Assuming a fault free cable, has anyone any suggestions regarding a software fix? I've exhausted the Windows troubleshooting offerings which eventually comes down to asking someone who has solved that particular problem.
This is my first experience with using a dedicated eReader. I have used a Samsung tablet for the past couple of years for that purpose with absolutely zero problems and will likely continue to do so after this experience.
John0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think that means something went wrong when the device was connected and the driver didn't get installed properly. The only thing I can think to do is to uninstall the driver and try again. Try running USBDeview. This shows all current USB devices and any that have been connected in the past. If you can find the Kobo device in the list, right-click on it and select "Uninstall selected devices". Then plugin the Kobo and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, have a look at what USBView says about it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:22 AM   #23
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hey, guys with the problem of "not recognizing eReaders because you haven't select the 'link-to-Pc-option'". This is a COMMON feature with lots of devices/readers/whatever.

When you plug something through an USB the device can:
+ Continue working like always. It's just using the USB connection as a power source to charge its battery.
+ Charge its battery but also "linking" with the PC so the PC can have access to its content in order to update/change/manage/whatever the device from the PC. When in this mode, the device stops working "normally".

So either the device ALWAYS jumps to the second mode (example my Sony PRS-650 unless PRS+ installed), or it somehow prompts you about how you do want the connection to work.

The main thing to consider here is that "normally" it's dangerous/impossible to get the device AND the PC working at the same time because imagine that you delete from the PC the book you are currently reading (I mean you have it actually opened in page 34). So because of that if the device is just in "Charge mode", it continues working like always but, although it is connected to the PC, you cannot see it from the PC. The PC has no real access to it. And if it is in "Management mode", then you can see it from the PC but you cannot use it directly.

And also when you are in "Management Mode" you usually get an advice on your device screen about "Disconnect it before unplugging" or something like that. This advice just means that you don't actually know if because of whatever program running on the PC there's been data flowing through the USB connection and therefore WIP changes in the files of the device (bytes running through the copper wires are not usually visible ;-) ).

So if you directly unplug the device without doing that procedure there's a risk of corrupting your device because of interrupted files modifications.

The way to safely unplug the device is selecting the "Disconnect" option from the PC (in the task bar over the device icon, as example). Then Windows will previously check if there's no active working process over the device, before actually disconnecting. And after that, Windows won't allow any other logical connection with the device anymore, till the next phisical connection. Windows "stops seeing" the device anymore.

The only problem is that sometimes you are always told "the device is still in use, I cannot disconnect right now" because of whatever "magical" reason and you have to directly unplug it nevertheless. In this case, just be careful to check your copy/paste, your calibre jobs, etc. are actually finished before doing this "hard" unplug.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #24
John0712

@davidfor: Many thanks for your comments. In a minor development I succeeded in installing Kobo on the laptop. This by means of doing a manual install rather than relying on the auto connect feature. Unfortunately ADE will not initiate on the laptop, but that's another issue. Regrettably the same technique does not work on the PC and I am still left with the message that the driver is not installed.
The USBDeview properties list the ID as 'eReader-3.0.1' the same name that shows on the device panel in windows, and the firmware version as 3.26. There is no entry for Driver version or Filename. It also lists it as 'Connected' and 'unsafe to unplug' on the USBDeview list panel tho that can't be so since there is no data connection
The details associated with the icon in the MS device window state that no driver is required.
So, I can't install because Windows is looking for a driver that it doesn't need and doesn't exist.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad to hear you have it working with one computer. The desktop still sounds like a partial driver install. The driver is installed from the device when it is connected. On the laptop, you might have seen a popup showing that it was installing the driver. I see this after each firmware upgrade and if I use a different USB port.

In USBDeview, did it show anything for the device when the device wasn't connected? If so, was there options to delete or unistall it?

And there is of course the ultimate PC support question: Have you rebooted the computer?
Old 01-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #26
John0712

Hi David: The reference to the Kobo is retained in USBDView and the full menu of options is available including uninstall. The computer has been rebooted many times!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Did uninstalling it from USBDeview and rebooting change anything?
Old 02-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #28
John0712

No. I have done that a couple of times. I guess its a few bits short of a full byte!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #29
John0712

I'm not sure whether this means anything or not. HP has just queried me if as a result of installing Windows 8.1 I have experienced any loss of drivers or other functions. I am sure they are concerned about their own products only, but it does raise a question. My friend's computer is running Windows 8 Pro and has not yet upgraded. This may be a sufficient difference to Kobo functionality. However, had this been a general issue I'm sure the chat lines would have been full of it.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #30
John0712

I have just received an acknowledgement from Kobo Tech support that the Kobo touch is not compatible with Windows v 8.1, tho they hope to correct that with the next software release.