Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Is that an Ipad??

I'm amazed how much attention my Kindle2 is getting these days. I carry it everywhere since I read quite a bit.

Increasingly, over the last many months (I've had a K2 since they were released) people have asked me about my k2 because they were interested in buying one.

However, in the last month I've had people stop me and ask if it was an Ipad. When I say it is a Kindle, an electronic book from Amazon, they give me a blank stare and lose interest.

It's interesting to me because in my 'circles' I assume everyone goes to amazon.com frequently enough to have already known what a kindle is. Those of us here on MR would easily recognize the difference between a Kindle, a Nook, and a Sony Reader and would never mistake them for an iPad.

It does go to demonstrate the difference between a truly mass-market and a somewhat specialized one. Obviously, these folks have never seen an iPad if they can mistake it for a K2. However the iPad name/concept is something that has entered the consciousness of the greater world, while it seems that the Kindle is still limited in its scope. I know the Kindle is old news to those of us on this forum, but definitely not to the world as a whole.

Finally, at the risk of sounding elitist, I feel like I am beginning to see a 'type' in these iPad-curious folks. As I see them turned off by my 'book', my reaction is a bit funny. Perhaps its in indignation over the implicit rejection of my wonderful Kindle? Anyway, I can see that, of course, this is the type of person who wouldn't be caught dead actually reading a book and who wouldn't be around Amazon in any form.

MLH

p.s. Part of my amazement about their lack of exposure to the Kindle is that you can't visit Amazon without seeing the Kindle, and I can't imagine going long without visiting Amazon. Even if I'm not buying stuff there, I use it as research on customer ratings and prices for everything.

Last edited by emellaich; 05-02-2010 at 12:57 PM.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
they can mistake it for a K2. However the iPad name/concept is something that has entered the consciousness of the greater world, while it seems that the Kindle is still limited in its scope.
The Kindle name has spread further than I thought, I've had a couple of people, who I know don't read e-books, ask me if my SONY 505 was a Kindle. Still, it's hard for anyone, even Amazon, to make their products household names like Apple does.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
leaverus
leaverus began at the beginning.

Device: none
I was on a flight recently reading my (dark blue) PRS-505 while waiting for takeoff. The stewardess came over and said "excuse me, you'll have to turn off your Kindle." I didn't bother correcting her.
leaverus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Marketing at work.

This is just very nice evidence how much Apple's success depends first on advertising.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
Marketing at work.

This is just very nice evidence how much Apple's success depends first on advertising.
I have never seen an Apple ad on TV, yet I have seen numerous news clips on commerical TV spreading the word of new Apple devices (even on the local news, we got a longer story about the upcoming iPad release than we did over a fatal house fire in the state). Yet by the same token I have seen Microsoft ads on TV. So one company needs to pay for advertising, the other gets it for free.

To the OP, next time someone says "is that an iPad?" say "Yes, you can buy them from Amazon.com, they call them there a Kindle" :P
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Every time I am asked about my Sony 700, people always ask if it is a Kindle. But yesterday, while waiting for my car to complete it's 30000 mile checkup, I had my IPad, and a lady asked me if it was an netbook.

I pondered a moment and said "no, it's an Etch A Sketch".

At least i got some quiet time after that.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Kindle

I get asked if my Cool-er and my Pocketbook 360 are Kindles when people see them. They know the name but apparently not what the device looks like.

I have not had one mistaken for a ipad yet.

I do find it ironic that the Kindle is getting mistaken for a ipad though.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
I have been asked if my Halin V3 is a Kindle, yes; but not if its an iPad .
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I'm amazed how much attention my Kindle2 is getting these days. I carry it everywhere since I read quite a bit.

Increasingly, over the last many months (I've had a K2 since they were released) people have asked me about my k2 because they were interested in buying one.

However, in the last month I've had people stop me and ask if it was an Ipad. When I say it is a Kindle, an electronic book from Amazon, they give me a blank stare and lose interest.
Does "blank stare" mean "don't know what you are talking about" or "don't care"?

"Don't know" would mean all those jillions of dollars spent on the Kindle TV ads is wasted. I mean those ads are on a LOT.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've never heard anybody about me ebook reader... I wonder if most people here even know those things exist... (except in a theoretical way)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Lately, I've only been asked, "is that an ebook?" I used to get the "Kindle question" from time to time, but now it's just "ebook".

Nobody's asked me if it's an iPad yet. I have a few responses ready to go just in case though. Some of them don't even require words.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Nobody's asked me if it's an iPad yet. I have a few responses ready to go just in case though. Some of them don't even require words.
I'm not sure what I'd do if anybody would ask me if it was an Ipad (not that they are available here, but still). I think it might get messy...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've never heard anybody about me ebook reader... I wonder if most people here even know those things exist... (except in a theoretical way)
Even before the international versions of both Kindles have been available, I've been asked a few times, whether "that's a Kindle", whether I was using a Sony, iRex or whatever other brand. Even the (not so well informed) press frequently was branding Kindle/Amazon as the "inventor of eBooks" or "the one who started it" (although Sony for example had been way longer in the market).
For me, this was a clear indicator of the way more advanced and aggressive marketing approach of US companies.
Of course, iPad tops them all. In Germany, iPad even made the evening news.
So far, no one has asked me, whether "that's an iPad". I guess, the ones who've heard about iPad, at least know it's color and big...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
So one company needs to pay for advertising, the other gets it for free.
In Germany, I've seen neither iPad, nor Kindle or Microsoft spots.
But I saw extracts of the press conference from Steve Jobs for example (which my wife, from an IT perspective, did find horrible).
I wouldn't say, Apple gets their advertising for free. I'm pretty sure, they've got one of the bigger marketing budgets in the market - and spend it very well.
But Apple is doing their marketing more "discrete". So far, they've successfully cultivated the "underdog image".
At some stage (maybe about 12 years ago), "everybody" started bashing on Microsoft and Bill Gates. Apple back then was the "niche product", nearly surviving at the mercy of Microsoft.
Even now, after being way more successful than 10 years ago, Apple seems to stick to that motto.
Apple fanboys never cease to surprise me. In another forum, about 2 years ago, I read a post of an Apple enthusiast, who wrote something like "I'm a bit worried about Apple. Profit seems to become more important to them and they may forget their original ideals". What the ...? Obviously, not having been as dominant as Microsoft for many years, they've gained the status of some kind of "family" instead of being a mere corporate.
---> A different, more indirect kind of marketing. Maybe the smarter one. But an enormous effort anyway...Certainly not "for free"...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #15
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
In Germany, I've seen neither iPad, nor Kindle or Microsoft spots.

I wouldn't say, Apple gets their advertising for free. I'm pretty sure, they've got one of the bigger marketing budgets in the market - and spend it very well.
True, no spots here. But who needs them when the object (ipad in this case) gets a closeup in the newspapers, a mention on the radionews and in TV just because Gov. Schwarzenegger passes one on to Chancellor Merkel while she's on a visit to sunny California? Now that's efficient marketing.

(In the official pictures on the site of the government they rather show the chancellor looking at medieval manuscrips at the Getty Museum - wonder why )

Last edited by beachwanderer; 05-03-2010 at 05:52 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote