Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
booklover
Enthusiast
booklover began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd ed.
Question Different screen in the second edition?

I just bought a new second edition iliad. I noticed its screen display looks "darker" or "yellowish" than the first edition iliad which appears rather 'whitish' to me. Is it all right? Did the second edition iliad change their screen as well?
Thanks.

Last edited by booklover; 04-11-2008 at 04:28 AM.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The screen should be about the same. There are variances due to manufacturing, but it should not be very obvious.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
booklover
Enthusiast

Really? When I bought the iliad v2, I also asked for the saleswoman to show me an iliad v1 for comparison; I think the difference of screen colors was very obvious. Even the saleswoman agreed. She opened a second one (iliad v2) and the difference seems still there.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

out of the box and not turned on for a while, the screen looks very dark. It lightens up after a few pageflips. Other than that i have no explanation. All the iLiads i have seen so far were all about the same regarding the contrast and whiteness.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
booklover
Enthusiast

Is it officially confirmed that the device lights up to some degree after using some period? I hope so. the first edition I saw was older than the second edition I compare with. But one thing is certain, the difference of screen color/contrast was definitely there. Obvious, I'd say. the saleswoman also had no doubt about that. Perhaps, like what the Irex guy said, the screens come from different patch and are indeed 'a little' different. I think the little difference is very obvious to notice in my case.
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
I've got both the v2 and v1 and there is a substantial difference in screen quality. The v2 is noticeably shaper with better contrast and edge enhancement.

I have posted about this before on this board and been shot down by others saying 'there is no difference'.

If they had both of mine in hand they could see the difference immediately for themselves.

Just my 2 cents...but I get irritated by folks who have only v2 or v1 and swear the two are the same....they ain't in my hands..
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I think there is consensus that there is a variance in quality due to the production process.

When you hold a random v1 and a v2 in the hand, sometimes the v2 is a tad better, sometimes the v1.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
This is purely subjective, but I do believe there is a difference between the screen quality in version 1 versus version 2. I sold my V1 after getting a Sony Ereader. Side by side the Sony was brighter and seemed sharper. I recently bought a V2 and the screen looks much better compared to my newer Sony 505. Maybe it's the updated waveforms tailored to each batch of displays, but it seems very noticeable to me.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Another aspect, that should not be forgotten, is that the display degrades a bit with time. I noticed it with all my e-ink devices. The goat a bit darker in the first few weeks. After that they stayed the same. I had one iLiad, which got really dark, but that was a problem with the display that was fixed.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
iRex did not make any changes to the screen between v1 and v2. As others have mentioned though, there are some manufacturing differences between different batches of screens. It has nothing specific to do with what version of the iLiad you have though, and is not something iRex intentionally changed for v2.

Yes, you can pick up a v1 and a v2 and see some differences. But you can also pick up two different v1s and notice differences between them. None of them are going to be identical unless you have two iLiads from the same batch of screens, and even then there will probably be differences based on usage, etc.

If you noticed in this thread, we've already got one person saying that their v2 is darker than their v1. Another person is saying that their v2 is brighter than their v1. It's just random differences due to the batch of screen that your individual unit was manufactured with. It's not version specific.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac

I just compared my V1 to my V2. (Havent taken the V1 out for quite some time) They look almost identical after a couple of pageflips. Right after i turned on te V1 it was very dark. Kind of scared me a bit. But now i cannot really tell a difference.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #12
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I'm curious as to when they started doing the custom waveforms for batches of displays that was talked about on the blog. Could this be contributing to a perceived difference between v1's and v2's?
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I'm curious as to when they started doing the custom waveforms for batches of displays that was talked about on the blog. Could this be contributing to a perceived difference between v1's and v2's?
Afaik since ever. Really there is no difference between v1 and v2. Its interesting to view how people attribute any difference they see to be a difference because of v1 and v2. I say all screens are better that are produced shipped in the decline moon phase

Last edited by axel77; 04-09-2008 at 09:18 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #14
booklover
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Another aspect, that should not be forgotten, is that the display degrades a bit with time. I noticed it with all my e-ink devices. The goat a bit darker in the first few weeks. After that they stayed the same. I had one iLiad, which got really dark, but that was a problem with the display that was fixed.
I'd very much like to know how dark would it be considered as a 'problem' and have it returned for repair. I'd accept that there are minor differences between patches, but I need to know how I can make sure that the difference I saw is normal, not actually a problem. Could iliad provide a diagnostic diagram, perhaps like one with a continuum of different shades of grey colors, to test the screen contrast and brightness on an iliad?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #15
booklover
Enthusiast

I find it's kind of hard to read my iliad if not under VERY sufficient light, like a cloudy day outside. And the angel you hold your book to the light is also very important to ensure a good reading (looking whitier and better contrast). But there are these limitations of current Eink technology and the differences between patches, I assume it's perhaps normal. Or is it? I still hope there would be some kind of objective test...