Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
B&N Classic Weekly Promotion 9/2 - Around the World in 5,792 Pages

Yay, it's another week of free classics at B&N, and this week's theme for their nice annotated editions with the footnotes and the essays is basically a whole lot of adventuring and tales thereof.

This week there are no repeats from the previous promos, and only the Canterbury Tales overlaps with the NookStudy welcome kit, so most people should be seeing 12 entirely new titles.

Pick up Kipling and Twain (2 each), Chaucer, Swift's Gulliver Travels, Haggard's Allan Quatermain, Nesbit 5 kids and IT, Hans Christian Andersen, the Arabian Nights, and 2 sailing tales by Joshua Slocum and Richard Henry Dana.

And if you move quickly, you can still get last week's "Read After Dark" spooky classics for free via this search, usually until a little past midnight PDT when the pricing switches over.

Be sure to refresh to make sure each book page says 0.00 before 1-clicking, though if you do get dinged it won't be as bad as for previous weeks, since apparently B&N have decided to drop the regular price of most of their classics back to $1.99 instead of $2.99.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Actually, I was told I already had one of the freebies (the second in the list, I think) and saw at least one person on the nook boards say the same.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, the Mark Twain books we got previously were Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, 1 in the All-American promo, and both in Week 1. But people who downloaded the NookStudy app did get a link for 12 of the classics, which included the previously unseen Canterbury Tales, and the yet un-promo-ed Plato's Republic.

However, I'm not counting the NookStudy College Kick-Start Kit stuff towards the regular promos, since most people don't really know about that, and probably don't go to the bother of d/l'ing the app (or looking for the link on the B&N BookClubs) to get them.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do have the nookstudy stuff (but it often will be a slightly different version, even if the names are the same), so maybe that was it (and it wasn't the Twain, now that I look at my library). It's also possible that B&N just displayed the wrong msg (would not be the first time and their site is very slow lately).
Old 09-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard

I imagine the NookStudy freebie versions have different product numbers because it'll be easier to keep separate from the regular ones, and avoid having people call up to complain "it said it was free, but I got charged!".

Incidentally, that just happened with two of their leftover freebies from last week, which kept showing a 0.00 price on the regular B&N Classics set of 9 pages that you from the following the eBooks section sidebar link or the one for the paper classics.

People who clicked the Get Free Book from that button instead of loading up the actual product page which showed the change, got dinged for $1.99 and, understandably, griped about it on the board, and were told to call B&N CS to get their money back, though one of the B&N mods did say that he'd see about trying to arrange something automatic-ish for the refunds, because it's a sure bet that not everyone will notice or possibly know where to take their complaint (apparently their email help contact option is notoriously useless).

B&N seems to have joined the competition for hardest-to-use site that Sony and Kobo are currently running.

For a couple of days it looked like they'd changed things to invalidate the usual "0.00 [keyword]" search that lets one batch check for freebies by author/publisher, in case a bunch have shown up on another site, but that seems to have been fixed/reverted now, and hopefully Inkmesh should be able to start updating their B&N freebie list from now on.

Anyway, we're now up to 105 promotionally advertised free B&N Classics (+1 for Plato's Republic), with up to 12 hopefully non-repeats to come, and it's well over half their total catalogue of 183 in e-editions and they've dropped the price of the regular ones back down.

So despite their less-than-competence and the way they've run Fictionwise into the ground, I'm pretty happy with B&N right now. Plus they have a cute stuffed mascot bear. That always helps.
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Anyone else having problems getting the freebies? The page just refreshes when I click to "buy." I don't know whether that's because I'm using a non-U.S. SIM card in my iPad while overseas. (I've had no trouble with Amazon freebies or purchases, though. My credit card info is still fixed to the U.S.) I've previously loaded B&N freebies without problem while in the U.S.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
B&N didn't run Fictionwise into the ground. It was the agency model that did.

Thanks for the reminder. I am downloading these classics just in case I buy a Nook in the future.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Anyone else having problems getting the freebies? The page just refreshes when I click to "buy." I don't know whether that's because I'm using a non-U.S. SIM card in my iPad while overseas.
That's probably it. B&N apparently block purchases from non-US/Canadian IPs, regardless of where the billing/shipping address is. If you can get to a computer with a US-based VPN IP proxy and make the "purchases" via the website, or will be back in the States before next Thursday evening, then everything should be okay.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I downloaded Nook Study, but never figured out how to download the classics through it so all 12 of these were new. However, given the theme I'm surprises Around the World in 80 Days wasn't one of the books in the promo.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard

They've got only 2 B&N Classics editions of Jules Verne novels, period, and Around the World in 80 days is neither of them.

As for NookStudy after you install and register, they're supposed to send you an email with a link that goes to this page here, where you can pick up all the College Kick-Start Kit stuff.

But they were horribly backlogged when NookStudy first came out (I got my email 1-2 weeks after, with a "Sorry for the delay" message tacked on), and supposedly they switched over to having the website kick you over to a "Thank you, now pick up your kit while you wait!" page once the download button had been clicked.

Perhaps not, if you got your copy after the initial rush.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #11
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Yeah, somehow I never got that email, but thanks for the link. Picked up Plato and Alice in Wonderland which were the only two I was missing.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Anyway, we're now up to 105 promotionally advertised free B&N Classics (+1 for Plato's Republic), with up to 12 hopefully non-repeats to come, and it's well over half their total catalogue of 183 in e-editions and they've dropped the price of the regular ones back down.
I've noticed that they have overwhelmed my library. I have switched to nookstudy on the PC to manage them, though, as that gives me "courses" which work just like Amazon's "Collections" and are essentially tags (why do they have to keep changing the name of a basic function?). It's not great, but at least I can find the ones I've paid for this way.

Quote:
So despite their less-than-competence and the way they've run Fictionwise into the ground, I'm pretty happy with B&N right now. Plus they have a cute stuffed mascot bear. That always helps.
They definitely have done that -- anyone else noticed that they seem to have dropped mobi completely as a format to purchase on DRM'd books?

The bear is cute .... I'll be appeased if they just send me a free one!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Yeah, I have to admit, having the BN free library promotion come up right after I bought my nook was a huge happy moment. I've grabbed every single one. Looking forward to next week and really hope they are reading the reader suggestions!

Whatever they give us, I'm sure I'll be happy to have it! One of these days, I'll actually start reading through the list, as many are new for me, though many are also old favorites.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Hmm, I must have missed 2 somewhere - I only have 103 in Calibre. Maybe I missed a download after I "bought" each week's.

I'm hoping for a mystery/adventure theme (Sherlock Holmes, Scarlet Pimpernel), or more of the ancients and philosophy.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard

Someone's written up a complete list of all the promo titles thus far, as well as which batch they appeared in, over at the B&N customer forums.

Also, B&N are officially soliciting suggestions for the final week on their boards so you can add your vote if you wish. Looks like the theme will likely end up being "Reader's Choice".