Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Brown, Fredric: The Fabulous Clipjoint. v1, 16 Sept 2008

This title was released under a Creative Commons License with a link to the book here. There is additional acknowledgement AND a link again placed at the end of the book. Book was acquired from Munseys, BUT REFORMATED BY ME TO MY SPECIFICATIONS.

http://www.munseys.com/book/27436/Th...lous_Clipjoint

I love Fredric Brown's mysteries. They're light-hearted and fun to read. It's hard-boiled noir, no doubt about it, but the characters are often affable, and with human qualities that make them memorable.

Here's a very nice review from Amazon:

"After almost a decade of publishing pulp sci-fi and mystery short stories, Fredric Brown had his first novel published in 1947. Entitled THE FABULOUS CLIPJOINT, it was both a marvelous mystery as well as a superb "coming-of-age" story. The novel was so well received that it won the prestigious Edgar award for the Best First Mystery Novel by an American the following year. Brown would go on to write 6 more novels and at least 2 short stories starring young Ed Hunter and his fraternal uncle Am as they solved mysteries in and around Chicago. All were excellent, but this first one is special.

"The novel opens with teenager Ed getting the news that his father has been murdered. While he cared deeply for his father, he has never truly come to know him. His uncle Ambrose comes to assist with the family's grieving, then stays on to help Ed find the murderer. During the process Ed comes to learn about himself, the father he never really knew, and comes to terms with his feelings for his stepmother and stepsister. His own confusion about his life and his emotions make up as important a part of the story as does his and his carny (former private eye) uncle's delving into the night life and mean streets of Chicago while searching for the killer."

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
CO'Neil
Enthusiast
CO'Neil doesn't litterCO'Neil doesn't litter

Device: PRS500
Yay, Fredric Brown! Keep it coming, dude!

I would add a word about the pure wackiness that enters into Brown's work (and not only in What Mad Universe, either).

The movie version of The Screaming Mimi was on a few weeks ago and due to the kindness of Dr. Drib having previously uploaded the e-book, it was a must-see for me. Who knows? I might have watched it anyway, since it starred Anita Eckberg and Gypsy Rose Lee, with the Red Norvo Trio -- but having read the book the real question was: how the heck are they gonna make this into a movie without censoring the living daylights out of it?

P.S., They kinda did.

thanks again,
Chris
CO'Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the kind words.

Most of his novels, as you mention, have that wacky quality that makes each novel fun to read.

I'll continue to make them available when I see them.

Again, thank you very much.

Don
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sounds like a good read, thanks.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Sounds like a good read, thanks.
You're welcome. If you finish it before I do, let me know how you like it. (I know we both like many of the same types of books.)

Don
Advert