Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Philfy
Philfy began at the beginning.

Device: None
Which reader would be best

Hi

I am after a light (around 200g) ereader that I can easily add my epubs to that are on my pc. I will be reading mostly in low light / dark. I also want to be able to turn the pages using the screen not fiddly little buttons.

I really like the idea of the front lit Kindle paperwight but that doesn't read epubs - I do have calibre so could convert them but am worried about loss of formatting and ggetting them onto the device in the first place.

Last edited by Philfy; 10-12-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Update
Philfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPhone 6, Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philfy View Post
I really like the idea of the front lit Kindle paperwight but that doesn't read epubs - I do have calibre so could convert them but am worried about loss of formatting and ggetting them onto the device in the first place.
I have an old Kindle 3 and all my books are pretty much in ePub format. I had the same doubts you have when I bought it. But I've been reading on this device for over 3 years and frankly, converting ePub to Mobi with Calibre is transparent and pretty much nothing is lost in linear fiction (I can't speak for more complex books). You plug the device in your computer, Calibre detects it, you choose the book(s) you want to send to your Kindle, then Calibre asks you if you want to convert them before sending them, you click yes and that's about it. A few seconds later (the more books the longer it takes, obviously) you got the books on your Kindle.

I keep all my books in ePub because it's an open format and most of the time I re-format them and play with the CSS a bit before uploading them on a device and I've never had any problems with Calibre conversion.

Good luck with the shopping!

(As I was saying in another thread, I'm also really tempted by the new Kindle Paperwhite, seems very nice. I never saw the actual device but reading reviews around it seems you can't really go wrong with this choice.)
mtrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Philfy

Many thanks, it does look to be an excellent product.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:

What mtrahan said plus...

... some complex ePub formatting is lost or altered when converting to the older MOBI format. You'll often find that converting to AZW3 (the newer Amazon version) will yield better results. All of the current and recent Kindles, back to the Kindle 3 (aka Kindle Keyboard) support this newer version of the format.

With modern machines, conversion from ePub to either MOBI or AZW3 is quick and reasonably painless. Simply preset your conversion preferences.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
If you're in the US, the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight is on sale through October 26 for $79: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1108046469
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Hi

I am after a light (around 200g) ereader that I can easily add my epubs to that are on my pc. I will be reading mostly in low light / dark. I also want to be able to turn the pages using the screen not fiddly little buttons.

The Kobo Glo would be perfect for this.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
It seems like the Kindle Paperwhite, the Nook Glow, or the Kobo Glo would all work. People have favorites but the Kindle and the Nook are very similar. I don't have a Glo so I can't speak for it but my guess is that it is also very similar. I don't know how much of the preferences are due to the devices and how much are brand loyalty. You might try touching them and looking through them at a store that has them and see if you have a personal preference. The Nook and Kindle have slightly different shapes and feel different in your hands, but which is best is subjective as far as that goes.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Philfy

Thanks guys went for the Paperwhite. :-)