Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemilahu View Post
Well, I sent Bookeen my first eMail (re my SD card issue) on December 17, 2007.
Then I resent my complaint on January 11, 2008.
I used all known Bookeen eMail addresses.
Guess, how many answers I have received so far?

Z E R O !

Unacceptable.
Please see the earlier discussion. Have you tried sending your e-mail from a different system? Create a hotmail or yahoo account and re-send it from there. Your ISP could well be being "blacklisted" by Bookeen's e-mail system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #32
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Well, I sent Bookeen my first eMail (re my SD card issue) on December 17, 2007.
Then I resent my complaint on January 11, 2008.
I used all known Bookeen eMail addresses.
Guess, how many answers I have received so far?

Z E R O !

Unacceptable.
Have you tried sending your email to "all known Bookeen email addresses" from a different address? For instance, Snuffi (the starter of this particular thread) didn't have a lot of luck sending from her/his GMail address. She/He tried sending from another address, as per Harry's suggestion, and got a reply "within hours".

It may not solve what appears could be a general problem of filtering getting in the way of correspondence to Bookeen from customers, but at the very least it may help you with your own individual problem of not getting a response from Bookeen.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 01-27-2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Grammar
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #33
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Damn it, Harry! You're too quick for me.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please see the earlier discussion. Have you tried sending your e-mail from a different system? Create a hotmail or yahoo account and re-send it from there. Your ISP could well be being "blacklisted" by Bookeen's e-mail system.
Don't use hotmail. That gets spam filtered way too much. Plus it has a tendency to lose lots of incoming messages. It's basically a sinkhole for email.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:39 AM   #35
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
Dudes........

I doubt whether there is an issue with spam filters.......I've used hotmail and they've responded after an agonising wait and reminders.......still from a hotmail account.....so they do get emails from these providers

They respond to these emails having read all of them ....but they choose to respond that way as they admitted they are short-staffed........

So....I would sincerely and wholeheartedly take a pinch of salt about such speculation about spam filters.....

That they respond to some people and not to others probably depends on how high they are on their list of priorities....people whose problems have solutions thatare simpler to implement probably get responses quicker.

My problem was new to them and because of that it was a kind of priority where they needed to measure their solutions and responses as it involved replacement of a faulty device at their cost.This process took close to a month, so I was naturally not impressed with them.But they finally did respond to my emails----with no explanation from them.

Besides on their blog they state that they have a quality issue as regards their support team.
Quote:
Please note that, even if we are not very responsive, we always read all your emails and take in account your feedback.
Quote:
Since our creation in 2003, Bookeen has always tried to keep in touch with its customers and to offer a reactive and efficient customer support. Concerning this part of our job, we clearly have not met our quality imperatives for the Cybook Gen3 release. We are now making all the necessary decisions to have a customer support department running properly.
So until that changes it will probably be the same

Last edited by solodoc; 01-27-2008 at 06:41 AM.
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But, it would be nice to get a reply acknowledging the message and that they are looking into it so you know not to be pissed that they are not responding. It's not like these are suggestion messages. There are support messages and in some cases, warranty support. So yes, they read the messages, but please reply and say they have it if it is a tech support and/or warranty message at the very least.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #37
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
My Gen3 arrived in the middle of December. From the first it hung if I inserted an SD card so I reported it to Support@bookeen. I got an immediate reply giving me instructions what to do but it made no difference.

I emailed again early in Jan to say that I was going away and would like to return the ebook for repair/replacement on my return. Last Sunday I emailed again and got a reply Monday morning giving me the same instructions (on how to actually insert a SD card in a slot!). It still didn't work so I asked for an address to return the Gen3, pointing out that I was going away the second week in February. This time I got no reply by return and I have emailed a reminder every day last week to no avail.

The pity is that this is by far the best ebook I have owned for simply reading. Even the 64k memory is really enough, especially with the terrible file system and I get lost with the internal memory only three quarters full, so I really don't miss the 1gb to 4gb that the SD card will provide. I just download reading material for the journey from my PC before I go away.

But the day will come (fingers crossed!) when they will upgrade the software and then I am sunk, for the SD slot is used for upgrades.

So if you read this, Support at Bookeen, please reply ASAP.
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #38
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
@ wolf you're right...even an automated response would do for a couple of days.......

@ Ivory .....I would think even an automated email wouldn't help as it's been more than a couple of days......

I know it's hardly any consolation but I've been in your position with a totally nixed cybook.....and I know how useful it is.....I would email them with your previous emails included in the body and maybe write them in French....

Or may be start a poll about their customer service ....keeping in mind they want to improve it.....

I wish I could be of more help.....
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #39
pemilahu
CyBookeen Bubus
pemilahu began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Thx Marc & Harry,

I used the following addresses:
support@bookeen.com
orders@bookeen.com
contact@bookeen.com
shop@bookeen.com

I doubt the problem is with any spam filtering as before ordering my CyBook Gen3 I had had a question to Bookeen re payment methods and they could reach me back in six hours. I used the same mail system and mail/intenet provider as today...

pemilahu
pemilahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:17 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I doubt the problem is with any spam filtering as before ordering my CyBook Gen3 I had had a question to Bookeen re payment methods and they could reach me back in six hours. I used the same mail system and mail/intenet provider as today...
Blacklists are dynamic. The fact that your mail server wasn't blacklisted at one time doesn't mean that it isn't at another. But it's only a suggestion; take it or leave it. Just trying to help.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:23 AM   #41
vasbinde
vasbinde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite / iPad 2 / Various Phones
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Speaking as a business which sends a lot of e-mails, I'm afraid that I loath such systems and never respond to them. Life is too short to have to fill in forms for the "privilege" of sending somebody e-mail. My view is that, if you send me e-mail, you should have the courtesy to ensure that my reply will reach you, otherwise you're just wasting both my time and yours.
I completely understand your position, however, when I send an email to someone, the system picks up on that and automatically adds the recipient to the whitelist. The only way a message gets challenged is if:
1. I have not manually added the address or domain name to the whitelist.
OR
2. I have not already sent an outgoing email message to the recipient's address.

Thus the only times that the challenge even gets sent out are for those messages that were sent to me "out of the blue" without any prior communications from me. Of course, if I go to a web site for a business that I have never communicated with before (e.g. apple.com) and fill in a web form to contact them, I will immediately log in to my BoxTrapper whitelist and manually add the entire domain to the whitelist.

This takes care of the vast majority of cases.

Best Wishes,
Eric
vasbinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #42
vasbinde
vasbinde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite / iPad 2 / Various Phones
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There is much better system for filtering spam.
It is called greylisting.
It is similar to the system you describe, but it does not bother the sender.

scenario:
mail is sent from YourRandomServer.com to MyServer.com
MyServer.com replies to YourRandomServer.com "I can not accept that mail in this moment, please try again later" (this happens quite often during the normal course of operation, not only if you implement greylisting).
MyServer.com makes a note that YourRandomServer.com has tried to send this particular message.
YourServer is a well behaved, standard compliant server (unlike the VAST majority of spam sending virus infected Windows PCs) so it tries to deliver the mail again.
This time MyServer.com receives the message, and adds YourRandomServer.com on the whitelist so the next time YourRandomServer.com sends a message, the message is received immediately.
I have implemented this on our company server and the spam that "gets through" has decreased to 5% of the original volume. Quick, simple, effective.
That sounds interesting. What is the name of the solution that you chose?

Best Wishes,
Eric
vasbinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #43
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
That sounds interesting. What is the name of the solution that you chose?
Doesn't the solution by kacir actually require you to be in control of your mail server, and not just your email account? It has nothing to do with the computer you post from/receive mails, just with the mail server those mails are stored on before you receive them.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #44
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Doesn't the solution by kacir actually require you to be in control of your mail server, and not just your email account? It has nothing to do with the computer you post from/receive mails, just with the mail server those mails are stored on before you receive them.
Yes, it does. If you don't run your own mailserver, you can't do greylisting. If you do, though, it works very well.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #45
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
I thought about this and came to the conclusion that while there might not be the perfect solution to this problem, there are a few things which every company could do to at least alleviate the problem.

1) Automatic replies: It would help customers if they knew that their email has arrived. Automatic replies to spam would bounce but the bounced mails could be sorted out automatically

2) When ordering every customer has to give their email address (for confirmations, delivery notifications, etc.). As the customer has to give their credit card details upon ordering it is safe to say that those email addresses will not be used for sending spam as the owner of that address can be easily tracked. So why not whitelist one's own customers' email addresses? That could be done automatically and in case servers like Hotmail are temporarily blacklisted the customers emails would still get through as they are whitelisted.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote