Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
gm139
gm139 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Book vs Document

I am pretty new with my Paperwhite Kindle.
I did not understand why sometime the transfer of AZW3 files worked correctly and I was able to see the book on the kindle while in other times the book did not show up.

Now, I discovered that when the book does not show up it is listed as "document" and not as a "book".

So, the question is: is there a setting or a tag that makes the difference, by creating a book or a document?
gm139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
I have a similar situation on my Kindle Fire HD. I downloaded four books from Baen Books, imported them into Calibre, and pushed them out to the Kindle. On my PW, two show up with a "Personal" banner on the cover, on the HD they show up in the Docs library instead of the Books library. The other two show up normally.

I saw something in the Fire forum about a tag that was PDOC instead of EBOK, or something like that. Where would I find this tag in Calibre?

OK, I found it (I think) under Conversion/Mobi Output, but... That's only the settings that will be performed when you DO a conversion, right? Is there someplace that shows you what the setting in the book currently is? Can it be changed without performing a conversion, since I don't really want to convert the book?

As always, thanks for your help.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
I have a similar situation on my Kindle Fire HD. I downloaded four books from Baen Books, imported them into Calibre, and pushed them out to the Kindle. On my PW, two show up with a "Personal" banner on the cover, on the HD they show up in the Docs library instead of the Books library. The other two show up normally.

I saw something in the Fire forum about a tag that was PDOC instead of EBOK, or something like that. Where would I find this tag in Calibre?

OK, I found it (I think) under Conversion/Mobi Output, but... That's only the settings that will be performed when you DO a conversion, right? Is there someplace that shows you what the setting in the book currently is? Can it be changed without performing a conversion, since I don't really want to convert the book?

Use the Quality Check Plugin. (Kiwidude has that covered )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Continued here

SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
gm139

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post

The "PDOC" setting works only when you convert to MOBI format. However, I tried to convert to mobi without this option but without result.
Again, when converting books and pushing them to the kindle, sometime they are seen as books other time as personal documents.
I did some research on internet to understand the reason of this behavior but so far I did not find anything interesting.
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool MobiMetaEditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm139 View Post
The "PDOC" setting works only when you convert to MOBI format. However, I tried to convert to mobi without this option but without result.
Again, when converting books and pushing them to the kindle, sometime they are seen as books other time as personal documents.
I did some research on internet to understand the reason of this behavior but so far I did not find anything interesting.
Go here and download the file MobiMetaEditor.zip which will do what you are asking.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
gm139

thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Not to confuse things but IIRC no matter what tag (PDOC or EBOK) you have in the book if you send it via email it will be placed in your Personal documents area.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote