Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
I successfully changed the title of my book with mobi2mobi on my Windows XP. Thanks for the program Tommy! A small question though, when I imported it in MobiPocket Reader and then trying to send it to the Cybook, he asked me for the Login data of Fictionwise where I have bought the book. Could it be that mobi2mobi does something with the PID inside or sort?
It should not do anything but the data concerning the DRM are manipulated so there might be some bug. But it worked just moving the file to the Cybook?

Quote:
EDIT: If the book already has a cover image, should it show the new cover image set by mobi2mobi? I tried it and it keeps showing the original.
No, not currently but I can do it the way that it always replaces the cover image with what you specify. Maybe that is the logical way for it to work.

Thanks for the feedback.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It should not do anything but the data concerning the DRM are manipulated so there might be some bug. But it worked just moving the file to the Cybook?

The way I solved it is to import the book in MobiPocket Reader. Then I try to open it and it comes with a pop-up with the login screen for Fictionwise. After I log in I can open the book.

Now I send the book to the Cybook and again I need to log in to activate it. After this I make a copy of the book on the Cybook and keep it as backup, because this file will work on the PC and the Cybook.

The same will happen if I download a purchased book and want to install it on a reader that has not been authorized for that book, also in this case it will come with the login screen for Fictionwise. So it seems that something in the file has changed causing that MobiPocket needs to check if it is authorized.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you just move the book to the Cybook using the mounted USB-disk does it work then?

I am fixing so that Meta data such as author can be changed and will test this with my dictionary and if this work I will do a new release.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #19
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
If you just move the book to the Cybook using the mounted USB-disk does it work then?

I am fixing so that Meta data such as author can be changed and will test this with my dictionary and if this work I will do a new release.

No, when I just copy it via USB-disk and try to open it it says: "File format not supported"

Let me know if you want me to test more.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, when I just copy it via USB-disk and try to open it it says: "File format not supported"

Let me know if you want me to test more.
I just copied version 0.0.9 to the usual place. I added a flag --coverimage that will replace existing cover images. I fixed so that you can add an author to a MobiPocket file (and to DRM:ed files). I tested all this on my DRM:ed dictionary and it worked to just copy the result to the Cybook.

If it does not work for your file could you send me the file so I can check that I have not made any assumptions that are to strong. I assumed for example that the version of the file was 5 for a DRM:ed file but maybe this is wrong. It is a bit limiting only having on DRM:ed file to test with :-)
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #21
heyjohn
heyjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3/Palm Zire
For any Windows users who just want a Linux platform to try scripts on, you can always burn a Linux Live CD. This is a CD that you boot off of, and it provides a full Linux desktop -- without touching your Windows setup unless you tell it to. You can use devices such as USB memory sticks for permanent storage.

Here is one mirror that provides ISO images of Fedora 8:
http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/li...s/8/Live/i686/

The KDE version might be more comfortable for long-time Windows users. Be warned that it's a very full CD, nearly 700MB, and things can run a bit slow when running from CD, especially if you don't have much RAM. (I have tried the KDE LiveCD on a machine with 512MB, worked fine.) Perl, Ruby, and Python are all provided by default; however, not all Perl modules are provided -- so you'd wind up using the package manager to fix that. (su - ; yum install perl-Image-Size and so on.)

You can find more information about Fedora Linux here:
http://fedoraproject.org/

Admittedly, this isn't the sort of thing you want to do every day -- but if you want a taste of how Linux works without having to configure extra hardware or whatever, it might be worth playing with.
heyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #22
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Here you can download a book in secure Mobipocket for free. I don't mind sending you a copy of mine, but it will not work on your Cybook anyway because of the DRM.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Here you can download a book in secure Mobipocket for free. I don't mind sending you a copy of mine, but it will not work on your Cybook anyway because of the DRM.
I will check it out. Can you run "mobi2mobi" on your book and see which version it says it has ("MOBIHEADER ver: 5" is what I get for my dictionary).
Old 12-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I downloaded the book from Fictionwise and saw that the version was 4 and not 5. I have fixed that bug and made mobiperl-0.0.10.tar available.

I could add the author "Jules Verne" to the book (Around the world in 80 days) and the author shows up in my Cybook.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I just realised that version 3 of MOBI header does not support meta information such as author name so the files generated from html or from a PalmDOC file will not have working author information. mobi2mobi will work with adding author information for MobiPocket files.

The annoying thing is that my code for generating version 4 seems to work on all devices except the Cybook. What I get is a message "Multi-part book not supported". So do anybody know what a multi-part book is and if I can find such books to download anywhere or if I can create them using MobiCreator? I have stared at the hex dumps but I really do not see any good candidates for where this information is encoded.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #26
heyjohn

I googled around and found a Nokia article that mentioned "Problematic XHTML-MP support in mobile browsers"... maybe that has something to do with it?

Is it only DRM'd files causing the problem, or all? If the latter, perhaps comparing mobigen's output could help. (I suspect you've already done that plenty of times, though.)
Old 12-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #27
heyjohn

Silly me, googling for "mobipocket multipart -mime" gives much more sane results. Nothing helpful yet, though.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #28
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Question on PRC cover art

Hello,

I hope it is OK to post this question in this thread, but it is somehow mobiperl related.

I am pretty new to eBooks and just ordered my Gen3 two days ago.
I tried Mobipocket Readers latest beta and found, that I am unable to add cover art to my prc files. So I stumbled over this thread. Thank you for the mobi2mobi script. Although a perl script might be a great way to have this running on a wide range of operating systems, I also want a convenient Win32 app to manage/change or even fetch my cover art.

That is why I started looking into the PRC format tonight. After 2 hours in front of my hex editor with some downloaded and some created prc files with and w/o cover art and coding a small parser, I still can not figure out how I (or the Mobipocket Reader :-)) can find out which PDB record actually contains the cover art. The attributes if the record header are always NULL. Sure I can look at the record data and see if it is a picture, but then, as you know, I get also the pictures in the book.

I suspect this to be an EXTH item. Can someone tell me what ID 201 and 300 contain ?

Do you have any hint what I am missing ?

Last edited by ppxnouse; 12-22-2007 at 11:46 PM. Reason: changed question
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:20 AM   #29
Kiari
Kiari began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook 3
Okay, that sounds absolutely amazing... I would love to have a tool like that...

*stares in confusion at the rest of the thread*

If only I had a bloody clue how to do it....
Kiari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:06 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The annoying thing is that my code for generating version 4 seems to work on all devices except the Cybook. What I get is a message "Multi-part book not supported". So do anybody know what a multi-part book is and if I can find such books to download anywhere or if I can create them using MobiCreator? I have stared at the hex dumps but I really do not see any good candidates for where this information is encoded.
Hi Tommy,

The "MobiPocket Creator" tool creates v4 files which work just fine on the Gen3. I've just used it to create a new version of Dickens' "Bleak House" (available from the Mobi book forum). Might it be worth comparing the output from a simple book from "MobiPocket Creator" and your tool, and see if there are any differences?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi, mobils