Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
Halwachi
Halwachi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 10th gen
Popup footnotes takes the whole screen

Usually I use MS Word to edit my books and then I upload them to Calibre, convert them to ePub and finally convert the ePub to Kfx format.

I noticed that the popup footnotes takes the whole screen when I use this procedure, even though the footnote is a single line

I tried converting an epub file from the internet (not converted from MS Word via calibre) and the footnotes worked perfectly.

When I convert from MS Word using calibre:
Click image for larger version

Name:	p_1853z90x31.png
Views:	319
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	185017

When I tried the internet file:

Name:	p_1853ov5hu2.png
Views:	302
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	185018

I attached both epub files for the internet version and the converted version down below:
Attached Files
File Type: epub Converted file.epub (87.4 KB, 269 views)
File Type: epub internet file.epub (1.14 MB, 271 views)

Last edited by issybird; 01-27-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Halwachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
The problematic full-screen pop-up footnote entry for the Word/Calibe version might indicate that the Calibre epub conversion has created alot of unnecessary space below the footnote text entry on test.

Open the epub up in Sigil(free epub editor) or open it using the Calibre Editor and check for any excess space below the footnote text entry in the epub. If there is any excess space, get rid of it.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I converted your files to KFX and loaded them onto a Kindle Oasis via USB. They showed the same footnote behavior as seen in your images. The book "Converted file" book shows popup footnotes full screen.

I examined the EPUBs and resulting KFX files and could not find anything that would account for this difference.

I then tried those files in the Kindle Previewer and the Kindle for Android app. On both of those "Converted file" shows popup footnotes at the bottom of the screen, matching the behavior of "internet file".

My best guess is that the odd behavior is being caused by a bug in the KFX renderer on the e-ink Kindle platform.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwachi View Post
Usually I use MS Word to edit my books and then I upload them to Calibre, convert them to ePub and finally convert the ePub to Kfx format.

I noticed that the popup footnotes takes the whole screen when I use this procedure, even though the footnote is a single line
Sounds like you are missing the checkbox in your Calibre setting:

Do not add a page after every endnote

When you're converting a book in Calibre:

Right-Click > Convert Books > Convert Individually

In that menu, it should be under DOCX Input:

Name:	Calibre.-.Do.Not.Add.Endnote.png
Views:	282
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	185046
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote