Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
elsaturnino
Edge User

Highlighting text causes reader to freeze for several minutes

I have some PDFs (two-column, academic journal style papers) that I have been reading and trying to highlight text in. I've had my EE for a little under a week but the first few days, highlighting was fine. Within the past few days, I've noticed that trying to highlight text causes the reader to lock up for several minutes. I will try to do things like change the page, switch tools (e.g. change to erase mode) but nothing will happen for several minutes, at which time all the operations that I tried to do will quickly happen. This happens every time I try to highlight text, so it is basically unusable. All the other features (including annotations) are working fine.

I've submitted a support ticket already but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

I tried this on a PDF ebook on my PE and it didn't freeze. This suggests some types of PDFs may be more prone than others.

Are you running Dingo-1.10 on your EE?

Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
elsaturnino
Edge User

I did a bit more testing and it appears the problem doesn't occur when highlighting on page one, only on pages other than that.

I checked the updater and it says I have the latest updates.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Let us know what Tech Support says

Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
elsaturnino
Edge User

After having played around with it a bit more, I think it has something to do with opening the PDF before adding it to the library. I tried a couple more PDFs but added them to the library first and highlighting seems to be ok. I'm going to retry on the previous PDFs I had problems with. How so I remove something from the library so I re-add it later?

Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Dr. T
Edge User

Hi there!

Check out this forum thread... I think it will answer your questions: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ll=1#post12048
For what it is worth, I have found highlighting to slow the reader a bit at random times. As such, I have just started underlining the text rather than highlighting. That works much better for me.

Let us know how it turns out!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsaturnino View Post
How so I remove something from the library so I re-add it later?
Did you mean to say "How can I remove..."? In the Library, find the item. Tap the Checkmark icon at the top of the Library, then tap the item to select it, then tap "Delete" at the bottom of the Library. This will delete/destroy the file in the Library. Be sure you have original item on hand somewhere else on your eDGe before hand. (I highly recommend you always keep originals of all files added to the Library in another place like your PC, or a USB memory key, for example.)

If you don't have the original on hand, you'll have to use ES File Explorer to copy it out of the Library protected storage folder first. If this is the case, please ask for further instructions.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
elsaturnino
Edge User

Thanks for the tips Dr. T and borisb. Looks like highlighting is just buggy I'll stick with underlines for now and hope they can get this fixed quickly.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
kenjennings
Edge User

I've had something like that happen, to. I got the impression the software was confused and was trying to hilight everything in the doc.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
elsaturnino
Edge User

TS replied and said this is a bug in the Adobe 9.1 SDK used by the reader. They've submitted a bug report to Adobe about the issue but otherwise there isn't much they can do

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

They've had some problems in the past with the Adobe software. I seem to remember last time that they got Adobe to resolve the problem relatively quickly, thankfully.

The Adobe software is being used more and more, and with the launch of Google eBooks, more people are going to be depending on Adobe's software, so it behooves Adobe to fix things sooner than later.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
jsfiller
Edge User

I hate Google books (Epub is awful imo). I feel like I'm back in the days of the Beta vs VHS war. Beta was a far superior format, but VHS overwhelmed the market. I think Amazon is making a mistake by being so proprietary with their format. Their format is better than Epub and PDF, but Epub and PDF are overwhelming the market, just like VHS. Makes me so sad.