Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-13-2007, 04:14 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Seiko presents bracelet watch with E Ink

Remember the curved "Future Now" wristwatch from Seiko? Ultra high contrast, ultra thin body, low power consumption, and touch-sensitive buttons - enough to make the technophile in you drool. Well, supposedly it was made for men only, and consequently, Seiko is presenting the female counterpart at this year's Baselworld exhibit.

Quote:
For 2007, these unique capabilities have been fused into a delightful bracelet watch for women which is the perfect expression of SEIKO's emotional technology. If the wearer is at work, it can be set to its 'efficiency' mode; the display is informative and easy to read. If, however, the watch is set to its 'mystery' mode, the panel expresses the time in a more imaginative, evocative style. Just pick the style to reflect your mood!
It looks somewhat thinner and has the form of a bracelet. No word on the price yet, but if you want your girl to wear E Ink technology around her wrist, be prepared to pay beyond $2000 for this luxury.

Related: Seiko's 'Future Now' watch uses e-paper technology

[via Engadget]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not that I have a problem with an e-paper watch... but considering that this looks like it doubles as a "night out" dress watch, I hope the buyer realizes that it doesn't come with a backlight...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Man, that is one sweet looking watch! Not sure why they want to transition away from the good ol' LCD watches we've had to date, but it sure looks sexy. Guess the whole high-contrast vs. low power gets this thing notice in the R&D section.

I'll have to keep my eye out and see if I can find one when they become available (course I'm not going to pay anywhere near $2k for one, that's just crazy talk!).

Cool find Alex, thanks for showing this one to us!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Personally, I think the coolest thing about this tech (including the earlier man's version) is that, if these watches catch on, they may be the precursor to computer/jewelry combinations that haven't worked out in the past... bracelets that could contain PDAs or cellphones, for instance. It just looks a lot cooler and less outright geeky than the watch/organizer devices we've seen in the past.

Of course, the price will have to come down a smidge.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
Not that I have a problem with an e-paper watch... but considering that this looks like it doubles as a "night out" dress watch, I hope the buyer realizes that it doesn't come with a backlight...
Aw gee Dad I missed my curfew because I couldn't read the watch ....
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

I think this watch looks pretty cool because it serves as dual-purpose. It can be a straight watch in "efficiency" mode or a fancy bracelet in "mystery" mode. Probably selling for a few thousand considering what Seiko sold these watches for in the past.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Found these real-life photos via wristdreams.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	3184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1256.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	3185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1257.jpg
Views:	812