Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #16
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
Hey, cmumford, I've enjoyed using BBeB Binder 0.2 but it seems that the font always changes to Times Roman on the Reader. I use Arial and that shows correctly on the Connect SW on my computer. It also says Arial in BBeB Binder. Any ideas?
Right now we don't support different fonts. I forget what font we default to. The next release (0.3) is slated to have font support.
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #17
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Back when I did program a lot (in the dark old days) my languages of choice were COBOL, FORTRAN, and Assembler. I still have MASM loaded and use it from time-to-time. Maybe it is that time of life to update the programming tools.
I'm old school like you; my first programming was on a Sperry Univac 1100 over a 300 baud teletype with paper tape. I was a hardcore C and assembly programmer for many years, and thought that Java was for people who didn't understand pointers. Then about 3 years ago I got the opportunity to write an app in C# and I've never looked back; it makes programming fun again - and a whole lot faster. If you have any interest still in coding, try it; you'll like it, and you'll be amazed at what you can do with little effort.

As for why .Net 2.0, for me (and probably for BBeBinder too) its because of the support for generics, which isn't in 1.x.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #18
zapgadget
eBooks for >6 years
zapgadget began at the beginning.

Device: Palm/iSilo & Sony Reader
Question Multi-page documents?

Hi,

Firstly, great work with the BBeBinder app. The small margins are absolutely perfect for me.

One question: is it supposed to support multipage documents? I have a number of eBooks as multiple HTML files. When you try to convert them with BBeBinder 0.2 you get one very short page covering one HTML file :-(

If it's not yet supposed to do this... a) When should it? 0.3, 0.4 etc and b) How can I help?
zapgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #19
AndyQ
Enthusiast
AndyQ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
It only supports 1 html file at the moment, I'm looking at doing multiple html files.

Also, I've just added RTF import (doesn't handle images at the moment and not sure it will for a while) which is only available in source but I'll make a binary available soon.
AndyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
tearan
Software Geek
tearan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hmm, I seem to be getting a lot of formatting stripped out. Such as carriage returns and tabs. Any Clues for how to preserve the formatting thats in the html file?
tearan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #21
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

This is an excellent tool.. I just tried it with the Wikipedia page on New Zealand , it presents the content really well. Very nice.

One thing I did notice though, the "ā" characters (as in Māori) were stripped out.

Would it be possible to have a find/replace when in Design mode? All the headings came across with the word [Edit] in front, and being able to, ahem, edit such text out would be handy.

Cheers!

Don
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #22
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearan
Hmm, I seem to be getting a lot of formatting stripped out. Such as carriage returns and tabs. Any Clues for how to preserve the formatting thats in the html file?
I believe that we ignore carriage returns and convert them into spaces. I'd have to look at the code to give you a better answer. We don't do anything with tabs and just pass them through to the reader and I'm not sure what it does with them yet.

Are you asking about these characters in formatted sections? i.e. <pre></pre>. If so we also don't support these sections yet, but it is on the roadmap.

If you want me to look at a specific document then you can either post it or send it to me via a private message and I can give you a better answer.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #23
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovanh
This is an excellent tool.. I just tried it with the Wikipedia page on New Zealand , it presents the content really well. Very nice.

One thing I did notice though, the "ā" characters (as in Māori) were stripped out.

Would it be possible to have a find/replace when in Design mode? All the headings came across with the word [Edit] in front, and being able to, ahem, edit such text out would be handy.

Cheers!

Don
The problem here is that the Sony reader font doesn't contain that character. We came across this with the ă character too - it was being displayed as a space. I solved this by adding a charmap.txt file where you can specify characters, and how you want them replaced. If you want to learn more then please take a look at issue 23 .
Old 03-03-2007, 03:01 AM   #24
davann
davann began at the beginning.

bebb offer the best quality in my opinion!!!!! just love it!! convert pdf to html with adobe professional and then use bebb to convert it to lfr. quality da best !!! kudos!!
davann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #25
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyQ
It only supports 1 html file at the moment, I'm looking at doing multiple html files.
Hah, I was just wondering if this was planned... I'm converting all my .lit files to HTML because I'm tired of keeping formats that die as my primary. HTML has formatting and will be around for a bit longer, I think. Some of them chunk into multiple HTML files, though. Ditto for some PDB files I break up with Amber Palm Converter. Would be nice to have a "bring in linked pages" or something, and to be able to specify one of the pages as a table of contents. Meanwhile, as a work-around for the other guy who was asking, I use HTMLDOC to combine the multiple HTML files into a single one, then bring that into BBeB Binder.

Of the multi-page HTML formats I've seen, these are two cases I think would need to be handled:
- Main book page with a TOC on it. Load the HTML TOC page, specify it's the table of contents. Use that to create the LRF TOC, then also use it to bring the linked documents into the main body of the book in the order listed
- Some documents have you just load the first part, then they link you to the next part at the end of each one. Probably not a good idea to try to bring them in automatically in this case, as it could create circular references if they have link-backs... Better there i guess to select multiple HTML pages and let the user put them in order, like HTMLDOC... which lets you do just that, with HTML output. Nice to avoid multiple tools, though, and their HTML output is ugly (not to view, but to try to edit).

For handling hotlinks, it would be cool if you could keep them active in the LRF format - I'm not familiar enough with the specs to know if you can do that outside the TOC. External (ie, not relative path links) would need to be unhotlinked (new word!) or annotated.

Overall, wonderful tool that's getting more useful all the time. Much appreciated.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #26
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Two more little suggestions...

1) Make the title page and TOC optional. Right now, before generating LRF from HTML with the tool, I make a copy of the HTML file and remove the title page and TOC from it if they are already there, then run the tool on it using the edited copy. The output is also inconsistent with purchased books, which have their book cover on the first page, followed by title, TOC, etc. If my HTML file has a jacket cover at the beginning, it's currently displayed after the auto-generated TOC and title pages.

2) Complementing 1)... if the HTML has local links (ie, same or no document name and linked to an anchor using #), make them active. Lots of HTML docs have a TOC and/or index built into them already using exactly that method. Currently, BB builds it's own TOC, which it puts before the one already in the HTML file... from which links have been removed. Looks odd to see two TOC in a row, esp if the pre-existing TOC was single-spaced and is now all mushed into one paragraph.

Just my thoughts - also willing to lend some coding if you need a hand, though too many cooks could make things a little crazy as well. (also, I already tried loading your project... I'm a version of VS behind you and it won't let me load your new-and-I'm-sure-improved solution file)
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #27
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I downloaded and installed BBeB Binder and I consistently get the "This program has encountered an error and must be shut down" message. I even rebooted the computer after getting this message a couple of times and it still gives me the error.

I have WinXPPro, sp2, have auto-update turned on so it should be up-to-date.

Any ideas what's wrong? I have tried to run it while having some other windows open and also with no other windows open.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:53 PM   #28
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
I downloaded and installed BBeB Binder and I consistently get the "This program has encountered an error and must be shut down" message. I even rebooted the computer after getting this message a couple of times and it still gives me the error.

I have WinXPPro, sp2, have auto-update turned on so it should be up-to-date.

Any ideas what's wrong? I have tried to run it while having some other windows open and also with no other windows open.
Did you run vs_piaredist.exe as described in the README?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #29
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Hanging my head in shame, I have to say I didn't, because the error message wasn't the same. Having now done that, it appears to be working, but the HTML file I tried it out on seems to be taking a very long time to create.

I thank you for your very patient and gentle reminder which appears to have solved my problem.

Thanks!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #30
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
Hanging my head in shame, I have to say I didn't, because the error message wasn't the same. Having now done that, it appears to be working, but the HTML file I tried it out on seems to be taking a very long time to create.

I thank you for your very patient and gentle reminder which appears to have solved my problem.

Thanks!
No problem - I really appreciate you taking the time to try out the program. As far as performance we haven't really done much to optimize that so far - we're focusing on features, but if it's *really* slow then we'll look into it.