Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Desktop App - Books locked or corrupt

I have upgraded the desktop and now, annoyingly, apparently I cannot open any of my ebooks. It says they either locked or corrupted.
The only way to recover them is to log out and log in again, and reload the ebooks again.

This is slightly annoying, even if it is the PC working, not me.

Is there a way to avoid this happening ? I believe it occurred already once, and I might have opened a thread about it, but I cannot find it any. Sorry if I am duplicating anything.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Is there a way to avoid this happening
Yes - close Kobo Desktop, and never open it again. You don't need it. Either load your kepubs directly onto your device with a wifi sync, or download the epubs (if available) into Adobe Digital Editions and use those.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yes - close Kobo Desktop, and never open it again. You don't need it. Either load your kepubs directly onto your device with a wifi sync, or download the epubs (if available) into Adobe Digital Editions and use those.
Sigh....
Old 05-24-2014, 03:19 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm not sure what the "Sigh" is for. Do you need more help with the methods I've outlined above? Something else? I am assuming that the end goal is to read books you've purchased from Kobo on one of your reading devices. If it's some other goal, perhaps let us know what it is so we can help.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm not sure what the "Sigh" is for. Do you need more help with the methods I've outlined above? Something else? I am assuming that the end goal is to read books you've purchased from Kobo on one of your reading devices. If it's some other goal, perhaps let us know what it is so we can help.
Don't take it personally. I actually also do what you suggest, since I buy from many sources, but I also use the desktop app to synchronise my Kobo Aura HD, so I do not want to ditch the app completely.
My Kobo Aura uses less power than if I were performing the synch with the wireless, and I personally I find it easier to check it with the app.
IN addition some books cannot actually be downloaded as epub, the button to download them is not available in the library, so I need the app, still, again because it is easier to synch my Kobo.
I could do it with Calibre, but for the time being I still find it easier (personal choice) to use the app.
So if I have to log out and reload all the books, it is quite frustrating.
That's what the sigh is for. Apparently there is no way out.
Thanks anyway.

Last edited by brudigia; 05-24-2014 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Forgot the library problem
Old 05-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Brudigia,

I am using kobo desktop version 3.8.0 for the PC (windows 7 ultimate 64 bit) with no problems, I have just tried opening a book without any errors occurring. Are you using the latest version of the desktop, and also did you just let it auto-update, or did you force the update?

I rarely open it other than to let book sync to the desktop, and I never use it to read, but on readi8ng your post I opened a book and read a few pages to check it was working.
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I have upgraded the desktop and now, annoyingly, apparently I cannot open any of my ebooks. It says they either locked or corrupted.
The only way to recover them is to log out and log in again, and reload the ebooks again.

This is slightly annoying, even if it is the PC working, not me.

Is there a way to avoid this happening ? I believe it occurred already once, and I might have opened a thread about it, but I cannot find it any. Sorry if I am duplicating anything.

Not sure if you haven't already tried this but have you uninstalled the desktop application, deleted any leftover files (Windows, check the user's application data folder and remove the Kobo directory from it as well as checking the Kobo directory in the Program Files/Program Files (x86) directory has been removed) I don't have the Kobo app on a Mac so not sure where in the user folder it would store the user data. Then try re-installing the application and let it synchronize with Kobo.

This worked for me the one time I had odd issues after an upgrade to the desktop application.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Surely it's just as easy to logout and login again, as to deinstall / reinstall.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Surely it's just as easy to logout and login again, as to deinstall / reinstall.
When I tried log out/log in, it worked for that session. The next time I opened the desktop application, I got the error message. After the scorched earth treatment, the problem went away and hasn't (as yet) returned.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #10
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I tried log out/log in, it worked for that session. The next time I opened the desktop application, I got the error message. After the scorched earth treatment, the problem went away and hasn't (as yet) returned.

Regards,
David
Thanks. The problems solves itself, as you say, if you log out and log in again. But then you have to reload every single ebook you have bought. That is the annoying part, In addition, when I log out, it tells me that I am losing my annotations. Not sure what that means, it surely means I am losing something, and I am not sure it only relates to the desktop, so I am a bit hesitating. But there is no other way. This is the only app which does this, and I would dearly like to understand why, As I said, I remember that it already happened at least once. Maybe more, even though I do not read a lot on the PC, thus I do not open ebooks after every update.

THanks to all, anyway
Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks. The problems solves itself, as you say, if you log out and log in again. But then you have to reload every single ebook you have bought. That is the annoying part, In addition, when I log out, it tells me that I am losing my annotations. Not sure what that means, it surely means I am losing something, and I am not sure it only relates to the desktop, so I am a bit hesitating. But there is no other way. This is the only app which does this, and I would dearly like to understand why, As I said, I remember that it already happened at least once. Maybe more, even though I do not read a lot on the PC, thus I do not open ebooks after every update.
You shouldn't lose any annotations. The desktop application only handles kepubs. Annotations for kepubs are sent to the Kobo server and downloaded the next time the book is downloaded to a device or app. You might lose any that have been added to the book since the last sync, but I think the desktop app syncs the annotations as they are created or changed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You shouldn't lose any annotations. The desktop application only handles kepubs. Annotations for kepubs are sent to the Kobo server and downloaded the next time the book is downloaded to a device or app. You might lose any that have been added to the book since the last sync, but I think the desktop app syncs the annotations as they are created or changed.
Sorry I did not remember correctly. When you log out (and probably you know more about it tha I do), the app says "We will remove your books from Kobo Desktop, but not from your account. You will also lose any highlights you added to your books".

Cheers
Old 05-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
You're correct, the message does mention highlights will be lost, but that is not correct, well, it certainly isn't correct for 3.8.0 as I've just tested it. If I add a note or highlight to a book, then sign out and sign back in, the highlight and note is there (you will need to wait until the sync has performed the "synching annotations" step though). This makes sense as this information is synced to the cloud and has been for a while.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrupted, desktop app, upgrade