Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
Upgrading Firmware?

I'm going around in circles - how do I upgrade the firmware?? I have a Wifi Kobo purchased a few weeks back from Angus & Robertson in Australia. Firmware version 1.7.2 (r20546 Oct 30 2010) - I think there is version 1.9 available now?

Main thing that I'm hoping to fix is battery life (only getting a few hours) and the ability to go to a certain page (currently I have to go page by page).

Thanks
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I had the Kobo desktop software (latest version) on my computer, and when I connected the Kobo it told me there was an update available for the reader and installed it.

I'm sure it could have been done just through being connected to WiFi, but I never got a chance to test that.

I'm in Sweden, so out of USA. Just pointing that out to highlight that it works outside us/Canada.

Edit: Link to Kobo desktop http://kobobooks.com/desktop

Last edited by Asawi; 04-20-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
bobsi18
Enthusiast

Hmmm, obviously I just needed to ask!! I've just found it myself - I used my desktop application ("Angus & Robertson") and synced it. Only problem is that it's only upgraded to 1.7.4 (r21156 Nov 17 2010). Is this the latest version available (in Australia?)

edit: Just saw your post Asa, thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got the 1.9. But I think you need the latest Kobo desktop for that.
I'm on extremely thin ice here, but I read the topics here when people were waiting for the upgrade. It seems the shop branded desktops are lower versions that the Kobo non-shop.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
bobsi18
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I got the 1.9. But I think you need the latest Kobo desktop for that.
I'm on extremely thin ice here, but I read the topics here when people were waiting for the upgrade. It seems the shop branded desktops are lower versions that the Kobo non-shop.
Hmm... Is there anywhere that I can download the generic Kobo desktop, not the branded version I have? (I'm using a Mac)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

No idea about Macs, but lookaround the site I linked to in my forst post. (The link wasn't there at first, so may have missed it). That link is for PC, but I think there are help pages "nearby".

Edit: CHecked my own link, and there's a "Mac users click here" option there
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
bobsi18
Enthusiast

Oh, yes, I had missed that link - thanks so much. I've now got the ereader upgraded to 1.9, hopefully it fixes the battery problem (have already discovered that we can go to a certain page, so that's great )

Tags
firmware, upgrade