Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #31
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
This isn't a silly attempt to shut interested parties up. It's a serious attempt to shut trolls who have no interest in buying an iPad, only spouting trash, up.
Yep.

And Hans, I don't think anyone would put you in that category.

It's people like chorbox or charbox whatever his/her name who was ranting yesterday and flat out said they go around forums and try to dissuade people from buying anything Apple makes that offer nothing constructive.

Or the "if it glows it blows crowd" who do nothing but read text and hate anything not e-ink. If you're only interested in e-ink devices, stay in the forums for e-ink devices! Don't come troll here or in other backlit device forums.

You're criticisms of Flash etc. are perfectly relevant. I have the same criticism, as well as not being designed as a stylus device, not doing true multitasking etc.

This is the place to discuss the pros and cons of the device. It's not the place for people who hate apple and add nothing to the discussion, or who hate anything not e-ink (as it's not meant to be a dedicated reading device, but a multimedia tablet that does more than just read).

As kjk said in another the thread, the device forums should be for people who are INTERESTED in the device to talk about it's pros and cons. And Hans, you fall in that category so you're fine. People who hate Apple, hate anything not e-ink etc. shouldn't be trolling here, and mods should be dealing with it--and Kindle/Amazon haters in the Kindle forum etc.

Keep that crap in the News forum, Which One Should I Buy forum etc. Let the device forums be for discussions among owners of said device and people interested in said device.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 02-13-2010 at 12:50 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #32
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
done fighting the trolls..

well.. after listening to more rants and raves and personal attacks on here i've decided to throw in the towel. i'm moving my ipad interest and discussion over to a forum that is ipad focused. i've found a few (thanks google) but one of the better ones i've seen is http://www.ipadforums.net they have good coverage of ipad related news, lively discussions and far less trolling. the people that want to sit here and continue to bash, enjoy! i won't be wasting any more of my time with you.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #33
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I think once the iPad is released the hostility will fade away and MobileRead will probably still be the best forum for the iPads ebook features.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
well.. after listening to more rants and raves and personal attacks on here i've decided to throw in the towel. i'm moving my ipad interest and discussion over to a forum that is ipad focused. i've found a few (thanks google) but one of the better ones i've seen is http://www.ipadforums.net they have good coverage of ipad related news, lively discussions and far less trolling. the people that want to sit here and continue to bash, enjoy! i won't be wasting any more of my time with you.
Please don't.

Once the fur settles, and people can legitimately discuss the pros and cons, things will get better.

Does no one remember the Kindle's release? The the K'2? My God, Amazon was depicted as the anti-Christ.

Well, it still is in some peoples minds.

My point? MobileRead is an excellent place to compare all the different devices......and will continue to be.

Its unfortunate that some people just can't get over that.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #35
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It has been in human nature for ever that something unknown, new and powerful instill strong feelings. Be it exhilaration, fear, curiosity or jealousy, this device leaves no one indifferent.

I will expect people of MR to surmount such feelings eventually to make place for our natural objectivity. Unfortunately I feel that I shall not be in those ranks. This device is the one I have been dreaming of since art school.

Allow me a moment to share a personal view. Throughout my passage in school, one object was at all time with me to record my creation as sketches of sculptures, carvings, paintings, drawings of nature, visual compositions of all kind, and to this I added notes on litterature and even musical composition. It is my sketch pad, I miss it. The iPad to me is the rebirth of my beloved invention recording tool. So in this way I will use it and more...

I may miss some features in the iPad that I have been spoiled with by the computers I use but I expect that future upgrades and third party development will soothe some longings and bring even greater purpose along.

The iPad future looks promising indeed.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 02-14-2010 at 06:51 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #36
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I bet the folks over at that forum are readers, authors, linguists, and whatever other profession and interests revolve around BOOKS.

Yes, I too can't understand the urge for some people to pounce on Apple users. But I also don't feel the need to promote my personal choice every chance I get.
I suggest you get the latest scoop on the iPad from that dedicated forum and come here when you're ready to discuss content.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #37
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Someone recently associated the debate to American politics. Those who use aPple products are leftist and those who hate them are right wingers. Some and I say some right wingers would like to use aPple products but their political conviction won't allow them. So they pick on any flaw or reason they can to try to make the beautiful object ughly and useless before their resistance could fail and make them rush out to buy one.
I can understand that a leftist would let political considerations govern his choices. That's the left wing way.

But right wingers don't think like that. They tend to buy what they want, based on, oh, I dunno...objective considerations, appreciation of aesthetics, ease of use, obscure stuff like that.

This works well for Apple. They can pretend to be green & liberal, so that the lefties will buy their products, but meanwhile they make products that just work, which is what righties value.

You've heard the phrase, "laughing all the way to the bank...?

Last edited by Harmon; 02-15-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #38
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
like i've said, i do not see this same behavior in the other forums. no one posting that they hate sony or amazon or B&N and i can't imagine that it would be tolerated for long. if all people have time for is to sit and post complaints about a device then maybe this forum isn't as useful as i thought it was.
I've seen some Amazon-hate around. I think that it's a question of how successful the product is. A successful company brings out the envy. Hmm...Sony might be in trouble...
Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #39
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
i've decided to throw in the towel.
There's an app for that...
Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #40
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Nice site, thanks for the link!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #41
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #42
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Couldn't we just agree on the notion that Apple is the Devil and the iPad the slate of his next commandment?

This would put the whole discussion to a religious level on which you can't argue. I wish there were another Anti-Christ around. But Windows is too fallible and Tux too cute.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #43
Bremen Cole
Wizard

IMHO Apple/Microsoft, Windows/Linux/OSX, Global Warming, are the new politics/religion. They are subjects that have religious like zealots who really don't care about anything but droning on and on their pet mantra.

Get's tedious to read, and good to get away from.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #44
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #45
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
IMHO Apple/Microsoft, Windows/Linux/OSX, Global Warming, are the new politics/religion. They are subjects that have religious like zealots who really don't care about anything but droning on and on their pet mantra.

Get's tedious to read, and good to get away from.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote