Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
505 Bookmark hitch

Delighted for months with my wee 505, but I've just hit a snag -- the bookmark feature no longer works. At first, I thought the problem existed with only one book, but I've checked a few titles now and I simply can't lay bookmarks. The books still appear to open where I left off when I hit 'continue reading'. And the device is fully charged from the mains, has no damage and I make sure that I never store more than a dozen or two titles. I have tried a soft re-set with the wee pinhole on the back without success. Any advice? Thanks. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Well, if I recall correctly, the bookmarks are held in the media.xml file on the device, so you could try connecting the device & just removing that file (take a copy then delete it).

The downsides will be that you'd loose all collections, 'last-read' positions and the paginating info (so the first time you open a book would incur a 'formatting' delay).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Alternatively, is there a problem with the bookmark button itself? Perhaps a bit of stray something has found its way underneath the button and is interfering with the contact?

Do you get the "page corner turned down" graphic on the screen when you try to set a bookmark? If so, then ignore the above, as your reader is obviously recognising the button press.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
After a library update I had the problem that the newly bookmarked pages were no longer marked as such (no dog-ear appeared) but the bookmark itself was in the bookmark list.
That was cured eventually by several device resets.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, folks: I'd rather not wipe the current books from the device, Gwyn, but I'll add no more until I've been through what titles I'm holding and then follow your advice if the hitch doesn't cure itself meantime. The dog-ear icon at top right of the page isn't showing, Mediax; but I've taken a close look and I don't think there's anything blocking the bookmark button. Yup, Bald Eagle: I first noticed this a day or two ago after a minor hitch dropping a couple of books into the reader -- and, although not marked with a dogear, the machine does respond properly to 'continue reading' as did yours. Maybe, as you say, a few device re-sets will do the trick. Thanks again. I'll report back when I fix this in case others hit a similar pot hole. Cheers. Neil
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
While on the subject, is there a way to go back to the last bookmark without going back and choosing "bookmarks"? I'm reading a lot of Discworld lately, and it has all of these cute hyperlinks, but going back to the text seems awfully tedious. Just wondering if there is a shortcut back to the text. Thanks!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
On the cursor pad in the lower right, hit the left side (this worked for me with LRFs).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
While on the subject, is there a way to go back to the last bookmark without going back and choosing "bookmarks"? I'm reading a lot of Discworld lately, and it has all of these cute hyperlinks, but going back to the text seems awfully tedious. Just wondering if there is a shortcut back to the text. Thanks!
Here is what you do....

1. Navigate to the endnote
2. Read the endnote
3. Laugh out loud
4. Press the left arrow on the circular button next to the menu button and that will take you back (history back). The right arrow goes forward (history forward)
5. Continue reading and laughing

This does work with ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
On the cursor pad in the lower right, hit the left side (this worked for me with LRFs).
OMG! That is so easy! THANKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is what you do....

1. Navigate to the endnote
2. Read the endnote
3. Laugh out loud
4. Press the left arrow on the circular button next to the menu button and that will take you back (history back). The right arrow goes forward (history forward)
5. Continue reading and laughing

This does work with ePub.
#3 for sure! Is it just me, or are the endnotes the funniest part of the whole thing? THANKS!!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OMG! That is so easy! THANKS!!!

#3 for sure! Is it just me, or are the endnotes the funniest part of the whole thing? THANKS!!!!
Sometimes the footnotes are quite funny. I'm going to get back to Discworld after I finish The Never-Ending Sacrifice.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!

I was having trouble caring about Pyramids, but Pshrynk said to keep going because it picks up about halfway along. He was right, and now I can hardly stand to put it down. LOVE the mathematical camel!!

Neil, sorry for highjacking your thread. BTW, I'm really enjoying your Magpies and Sunsets. It's slow going, because of being PDF, and I can only read it at work on my PC during spare minutes.

EDIT: And you got it locked up tight! It won't allow Acrobat's "read out loud" feature for when I'm doing desk work.

Last edited by DixieGal; 09-30-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I was having trouble caring about Pyramids, but Pshrynk said to keep going because it picks up about halfway along. He was right, and now I can hardly stand to put it down. LOVE the mathematical camel!!

Neil, sorry for highjacking your thread. BTW, I'm really enjoying your Magpies and Sunsets. It's slow going, because of being PDF, and I can only read it at work on my PC during spare minutes.

EDIT: And you got it locked up tight! It won't allow Acrobat's "read out loud" feature for when I'm doing desk work.
The only Discworld book I had some trouble with was Small Gods. It did get better as it went along. But not as much better as Pyramids did.

And as for PDF. I prefer not to read them.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Thanks, folks: I'd rather not wipe the current books from the device, Gwyn, but I'll add no more until I've been through what titles I'm holding and then follow your advice if the hitch doesn't cure itself meantime.
Maybe, as you say, a few device re-sets will do the trick. Thanks again. I'll report back when I fix this in case others hit a similar pot hole. Cheers. Neil
If you delete the media.xml, the books will still be there, it'll just be the info about them/collections that'll be gone.

Incidentally, I'd guess (but be willing to put a small amount of money on...) that the reason that "a few device resets" could work would be that you'd have a good chance of corrupting the media.xml enough that the device would itself delete it for you!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr

Hello folks: Thanks for the advice re my bookmark problem. I found the 'mark' button would also not work for deleting a book, so I tried several soft re-sets, as Bald Eagle suggested. No joy. Then I remembered someone here solving another problem with the 505 by jabbing the re-set ten times in succession; I tried that ... and voila! All's well.

Hi Dixie: hijack away. Hope you've fixed the hitch. By the way, although it was published by our wee house, *Magpies and Sunsets* was actually written by another Neil Marr; Neil Alexander Marr in Canada; I'm Neil Taylor Marr in France.

The coincidence (and we were both Edinburgh-born to boot) has caused a lot of confusion ... all of it great fun.

The book was edited by my associate editor, Hugh McCracken in Canada. Hugh's also an ex-pat Scotsman; but he comes from Glasgow -- only fifty miles from Edinburgh, but far enough away for him to have been baffled by the heavy Edinburgh Lallands dialect that Neil uses for much of the dialogue, so he had to pull me in to help as a kind of 'language consultant'. So it should be a real challenge to a gal from Birmingham, Alabama!

Good luck, Dixie. Neil
Old 10-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard

Out of interest, did you lose the info such as collections, 'last-read' positions & LRF formatting data?