Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
¿kobo glo vs kobo aura?

Hello.

I want to know your opinions about this two ereaders, basically this aspects:

1- Who has whiter screen with light off?, how far is better one of them?

2- Differences with size, are this differences significant? or perhaps not much, I think basically for reading outside of home.

3- Who has better light?, how far is better one of them?

I could purchase Kobo glo 50€ cheaper than kobo aura. Is it worth spending 50€ more for the aura than the glo?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by ersott; 12-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I have a Glo, and recently bought another Glo as a backup even though the Aura was only $20 more.

1 - The Glo seems to have a better contrast. I could not tell if one screen was whiter than the other by looking at them in the store. The Aura has a partial refresh which needs fewer screen refreshes to prevent ghosting than the Glo, but screen refreshes don't really bother me.

2 - The Aura is slightly smaller. The Glo is much more comfortable to hold. This is a big advantage in my books.

3 - The lights look similar to me. The Glo's light colour was originally a cooler blue, but they've since changed it to a warmer yellow just like the Aura.

Someone pointed out that the reverse text mode hack (where the background is dark and the text is white) is not available on the Aura.

I prefer the Glo to the Aura, so the extra money saved is just a bonus.

Last edited by treadlightly; 12-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've been seriously thinking about purchasing a backup Glo just as treadlightly did for some of the same reasons, and I don't think there's a better option for me.

And other differences between the 2 also for me: The Aura is capacitive touch, that my skin doesn't play nice with. The Glo is infrared, which also means I don't need special gloves while using it in colder weather.

The flush screen of the Aura is a turn off for me. For one, it makes the bezel shinier than on the Glo, the Glo's bezel is a soft matte finish, absolutely zero glare ever. And yes, if you have sensitive eyes, it's noticeable. And two, that flush screen means the top of the cover will be fully against the screen. I'm careful with all my readers to be sure nothing presses against them when in my pockets (or a small purse for summer when it's just too hot for pockets), but I would imagine it wouldn't take much pressure against a cover that's fully flush against the entire screen to crack it easier.

While I've not been 100% happy with the Glo (firmware updates that break more than they fix, but I never download them anymore), it's still the best choice out there for a lighted reader right now for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I've been seriously thinking about purchasing a backup Glo just as treadlightly did for some of the same reasons, and I don't think there's a better option for me.

And other differences between the 2 also for me: The Aura is capacitive touch, that my skin doesn't play nice with. The Glo is infrared, which also means I don't need special gloves while using it in colder weather.

The flush screen of the Aura is a turn off for me. For one, it makes the bezel shinier than on the Glo, the Glo's bezel is a soft matte finish, absolutely zero glare ever. And yes, if you have sensitive eyes, it's noticeable. And two, that flush screen means the top of the cover will be fully against the screen. I'm careful with all my readers to be sure nothing presses against them when in my pockets (or a small purse for summer when it's just too hot for pockets), but I would imagine it wouldn't take much pressure against a cover that's fully flush against the entire screen to crack it easier.

While I've not been 100% happy with the Glo (firmware updates that break more than they fix, but I never download them anymore), it's still the best choice out there for a lighted reader right now for me.
I just got the Glow because the battery life is said to be much longer than the Aura - important for me as I camp a lot.

BTW - which firmware do you feel the best? Of course when I registered I got the newest 3.1.0 - can you point me to somewhere that discusses the pros and cons of each?

Lyn
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I just got the Glow because the battery life is said to be much longer than the Aura - important for me as I camp a lot.

BTW - which firmware do you feel the best? Of course when I registered I got the newest 3.1.0 - can you point me to somewhere that discusses the pros and cons of each?

Lyn
This thread will cover most of the reasons why you might want to move away from 3.1, but if you're not running into any issues with it, I would say stick with 3.1 as it has some nice new features you'll lose by downgrading.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228773
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For myself, I stick with firmware 2.4.0 for several reasons. I was pretty happy with 2.5.1 but I also use Calibre, and Calibre always gives an error that it "cannot communicate with device" for WinXP users who also have AMD cpus. It was fine on my Windows 7 netbook, but I rarely use the netbook so it got to be quite a hassle to get it out every time I wanted to transfer books to the Glo. The other thing for me is that I prefer swipes to turn pages, and with 2.5.1, I'd have to swipe up to 4x to turn a page, and that wasn't a rare occurrence. At least 50% of the time I would need more than 1 swipe. With 2.4.0 Calibre works perfectly for me, no errors communicating with the Glo no matter how many times I send or delete books from it. And while reading I noticed that it rarely required more than 1 swipe, so for me, 2.4.0 is ideal.

Other differences after 2.5.1 is that they changed the homescreen to tiles, which I think are just hideous. The homescreen before consisted of 5 books, and I use it as a queue of my next books I want to read. Clean and simple.

Kobo changes firmware ridiculously often, and instead of fixing past bugs, the new firmware usually introduces new and bigger bugs. Right now it's recommend that you don't install the newest firmware if you download .kepubs from Kobo. Some firmware versions had bigger gaps at the top and bottom of book pages, some had light issues (not being able to be low enough for some to read in the dark), font issues, etc. I normally keep my light at about 28% and it suits me for all reading situations. The Glo updated to 2.10 when I had to do a factory reset and to get the same amount of light, I had to turn it up to 71% just as an example.

But what bothers me might be perfectly fine to you, you might prefer the tiles on the homescreen. I can only suggest you hunt around for screenshots of the home pages and then just try the firmware and see how it performs for you. And check the Kobo Forum here for more information. There's not one place that lists all the pros and cons of each firmware version. But when one does come out, there's usually a thread about it and if there's any problems, they're bound to be posts about the bugs. There is a thread with links to older firmware in the Kobo forums with instructions how to go back to an older version. It means hardly ever turning on the wi-fi for my Glo, but I prefer to purchase all my books through my PC and sort them out in Calibre and then sideload them always to my readers, so that's not an issue for me at all.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 12-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I am sticking with 2.6.1 on my Glo. The next one takes away the slider at the bottom, which makes it much more difficult to browse books on the device.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #8
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everybody, now I prefer kobo glo than kobo aura.

Next, I have to decide if I prefer kobo glo vs kobo aura hd...

Old 12-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Next, I have to decide if I prefer kobo glo vs kobo aura hd...
That choice is easier. If you carry the reader around with you a lot, the 6" Glo is more portable. It's actually only slightly bigger than my 5" Sony readers and fits in most any pocket or small purse. I never leave the house without my reader now, I don't even mind standing in line at the Post Office anymore since it's more reading time for me!

If you only read at home and prefer a bit larger screen, then you might prefer the AuraHD.

You might check out the Kobo Forum here though and read more about the AuraHD, you'll find some threads dedicated to it.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
ersott
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That choice is easier. If you carry the reader around with you a lot, the 6" Glo is more portable. It's actually only slightly bigger than my 5" Sony readers and fits in most any pocket or small purse. I never leave the house without my reader now, I don't even mind standing in line at the Post Office anymore since it's more reading time for me!

If you only read at home and prefer a bit larger screen, then you might prefer the AuraHD.

You might check out the Kobo Forum here though and read more about the AuraHD, you'll find some threads dedicated to it.
Exactly that's the point.

I got a pw2, if I purchase glo, pw will be ereader's home, but if I purchase aura hd, pw will be outside ereader...

Or maybe wait for spring new kindle "de luxe".

Doubts doubts