Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Messiah
Messiah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4NT, eBookwise-1150
ODT or HTML -> MOBI: Blockquote and other issues

Hi all, I'm trying for the first time to convert some stuff with Calibre to MOBI for a Kindle and I have some issues.

So I make a file in Writer and save as ODT. Then I import it in Calibre 0.8.41 and convert to MOBI with default options. This is what happens:

1 - all the styles of the original file (and of the intermediate html generated by Calibre) get replaced by calibre_## classes.

2 - All paragraphs became "justified" even if "Text justification" in Look & Feel is set to "Original".

3 - If I have a paragraph with left margin set to > 0, Calibre translate it as "blockquote" with a fixed margin of 0 0 0 2em and I can't change it in any way. If I try to style it in "Extra CSS" with something like:

blockquote { margin: 0 2em 0 2em }

to make it centered it doesn't change at all.

4 - The same happens for all the other calibre_## classes: I can't style them with Extra CSS.

All of this happens even if I save my original ODT as HTML and use it for conversion to MOBI.

All of this doesn't happen if I convert the ODT to EPUB. The text stay left aligned, the paragraphs with left margin keep my margins, the classes don't get replaced by calibre_## classes so I can style them in Extra CSS. If then I convert this EPUB to MOBI all stay like it should be.
Attached Files
File Type: zip odt2mobi-Issues.zip (13.9 KB, 139 views)
Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As for #3: the MOBI format doesn't recognize the concept of left and right margins on elements. Left-indented text is achieved through <blockquote> elements. It's the only way. If you need increased left margins... <blockquote> elements can be nested. Any attempt to set a right-margin is simply ignored by calibre or kindlegen or mobipocket creator. That's why this:
Code:
blockquote { margin: 0 2em 0 2em }
doesn't change anything.

EPub is capable of doing those things, that's why they work when converting to ePub.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Messiah
Messiah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4NT, eBookwise-1150
Wow, that's why then. I made another test again converting from ePub to MOBI and now I can't get the paragraph without the blockquote "trick" like you said. I even can't get it to respect my left aligned p so now I'm just confused and start to think I was in some way wrong when I though that ePub -> Mobi solved my problems :\

Last edited by Messiah; 02-26-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote