Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've Brin's Sundiver. I don't remember anything bad about it Maybe I need to refresh. I think I liked it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:44 AM   #17
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I've read one of Brin's books, Existence I think. I remember liking it for the most part except there were something like five million POV characters and big timeskips and a lot of unexplained terminology which made kind of hard to follow. I'll look into Sundiver though.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-11-2022 at 10:46 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2022, 11:27 AM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
They're good! Except Deception. It was written by a different author who didn't really understand the franchise and as such there's a lot of lore mistakes.

Also, this. Cue the 'cereal killer' jokes.

Attachment 192266
Yeah, the page I linked to has all four listed, but I only bought the first three.

William C. Dietz is supposed to be a good writer. I have a couple of his books. But in this case, I was only interested in the three written by the creator.

Incidentally, there is another Mass Effect series: Mass Effect: Andromeda. I know nothing about them.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-11-2022 at 11:33 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #19
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, the page I linked to has all four listed, but I only bought the first three.

William C. Dietz is supposed to be a good writer. I have a couple of his books. But in this case, I was only interested in the three written by the creator.

Incidentally, there is another Mass Effect series: Mass Effect: Andromeda. I know nothing about them.
Annihilation is good. I've not read the others yet but they're on my TBR list.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I've read one of Brin's books, Existence I think. I remember liking it for the most part except there were something like five million POV characters and big timeskips and a lot of unexplained terminology which made kind of hard to follow. I'll look into Sundiver though.
If I had to pick a favorite David Brin novel it would be The Practice Effect.
Quote:
The story involves a world in which entropy works in reverse.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If I had to pick a favorite David Brin novel it would be The Practice Effect.
I really enjoyed Kiln People (though $11.99 is a bit high). In fact, I've been considering a reread.

It's often (but not always) tagged as Book 1, but so far as I know it is a stand alone. There is no sequel that I've ever heard of. I think someone made a mistake and other book sites copied it.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-11-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This looks very tasty and flavorful. [OUCH!]

OK, I know. I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SF and pork.jpg
Views:	2744
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	192286  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Sundiver was OK. But Startide is really not good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:38 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This looks very tasty and flavorful. [OUCH!]

OK, I know. I know.
That chef could really use a Showtime Rotisserie. Set it and forget it!
Old 02-13-2022, 06:32 AM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have a look at Heechee series by Frederik Pohl
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #26
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Have a look at Heechee series by Frederik Pohl
I agree they're entertaining, but you don't actually ever get to see the aliens, do you? (I admit my memory is several decades old).

I've never played Mass effect, but in the whole "befriending cool aliens" thing, a modern, popular writer has just come out with a new one. Unfortunately, just sharing the author or title would be a spoiler. So...
Spoiler:
Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #27
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sundiver was OK. But Startide is really not good.
I could not disagree more strongly. There are valid reasons that Startide Rising won both the Hugo and Nebula, and among those are strong, believable characterizations of truly weird aliens.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:11 PM   #28
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've Brin's Sundiver. I don't remember anything bad about it Maybe I need to refresh. I think I liked it.
I think in Sundiver, he was attempting to write a "Space Detective" novel. Unfortunately, just like in Asimov's R. Daniel Olivaw novels, the perpetrator is somewhat obvious. And the motive is the same theme that underlies the rest of Brin's whole "Uplift Universe," that some highly Orthodox alien Clans are not willing to tolerate uppity humans.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:43 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I can't imagine any Aliens being impressed by us lot. We don't have a good track record even this century.

SM on the Internet as they decelerate in our Solar system would give a bad impression, though I'm not sure how easy that would be considering there is no free access internet anywhere apart from the wireless signal issues.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:21 PM   #30
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I agree they're entertaining, but you don't actually ever get to see the aliens, do you? (I admit my memory is several decades old).
No, you do not - in the decades old first three books. There was another book with short stories and in 2004 the sixth. I am not sure whether I have read that one, but reading the summary on the fantasticfiction site I think you get to meet them. I will have to have a look at the book and if I haven't read that one I will have to remedy that.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote