Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Petey
Petey began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
won't eject

When I am done putting books on my e reader, I close out of Calibre, the site where I downloaded the book, and ADE. Then when I go to the system tray to the eject icon, it tells me I can't remove the reader because something is running...what would it be? Does it really hurt anything to just unplug it?
Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Uh, I never used the 'eject icon'. I make sure the Sony software is closed, close Calibre and pull the plug.

So far no problems.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You could always shut down your computer then unplug the Reader. I would only use this as a last resort as I wouldn't want to shut down each and every time.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey View Post
When I am done putting books on my e reader, I close out of Calibre, the site where I downloaded the book, and ADE. Then when I go to the system tray to the eject icon, it tells me I can't remove the reader because something is running...what would it be? Does it really hurt anything to just unplug it?
If it is still opened in the file manager that might do it.

You could just eject it from within Calibre. If you go to the library bar across the top and hover over the readers libray icon you will see an arrow appear. Click it and it will be ejected and removed from Calibre.

You will also notice the red charging light on it go off. If you leave it connected after ejecting via Calibre it may discharge so remove it promptly after ejecting it. This process also ejects it from your computer.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-04-2010 at 06:54 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Sometimes this also happens with usb thumbdrives, even though there is no real task running. You can check if in the system management if there is any task running concerning sony or adobe. But you'll also have to check the processes section. Sometimes all tasks are closed, but a process hangs.
In terms of usb thumbdrives I just unplug them if I'm sure there is no writing process going on any more which is usually visible by some blinking LED.

Other thing to try would be to start up Sony software and use the softwares Reader eject button. This ejects the reader completely. If done from the system tray, I have 2 drives showing up from the reader. The first being the reader itself, the second being the partition where Sony stores the library setup files.

I still wish I knew how to merge the second partition into the first one as I can always download the library installer.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I have 2 drives showing up from the reader. The first being the reader itself, the second being the partition where Sony stores the library setup files.

I still wish I knew how to merge the second partition into the first one as I can always download the library installer.
Are you sure the second drive showing is the partition where Sony stores the library setup files and not the SD card (or slot)? My 505 shows 3 drives when I hook it up, internal memory, SD card, other Memory card.

You're right, if she is running Windows, and sure that nothing is still transferring to the device, disconnecting the reader will be fine. Windows and the Sony reader are very forgiving about doing this.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Oooops. Sorry. Yes, my 505 shows 3 drives (not sure if it shows 3 if no card is inserted). The 600 shows 2 with no card inserted.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Start "Task Manager" (Press Alt Ctrl Del all at same time)

Click the Processes Tab

Scroll down any starting with "Reader" highlight and click end process,

After that you should be OK

Hope that helps,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote