Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #586
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Put the full error. Start a new thread?.

forget netcat and back up to /mnt/us if netcat is a problem.

you can always get the output files off via USB.

You don't need netcat. It is a convenience.

Put exactly what commands you are typing.

And exactly what error you get.

something like dd if=<thing to copy> of=<file to send to> <other stuff>

Thanks. you will get better help that way.

Last edited by twobob; 10-04-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: it's not that offtopic really, clearer English
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #587
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
And you do not want to copy mmcblk0p4 (that is what you see over your usb connection when the Kindle is acting like a storage device).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #588
Zlatomip
Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Thanks guys for answering))

I write in a Putty:
dd of=mmcblk0p1.bin to /mnt/us bs=4k

and I recieve:
BusyBox v1.17.1 (2012-07-17 16:29:54 PDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: dd [if=FILE] [of=FILE] [bs=N] [count=N] [skip=N]
[seek=N]

Copy a file with converting and formatting...
and so on...
which means that command is not finished...
I want to convert my partitions (1-2-3 only)) to .img files...
Zlatomip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #589
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img bs=4K
capital K
for if= (input file) and of= (output file) you need the full pathname and filename.

Busybox help messages are brief reminders intended for the knowledgeable user.

Let me guess, you are not a Linux (or MacOSx) user.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #590
Zlatomip
Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zlatomip , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img bs=4K
Let me guess, you are not a Linux (or MacOSx) user.
You are correct)) I'm using Win7 ultimate...
so, may be you'll tell me what should I write in a Putty?
and as twobob said...
I hope later I can copy these images from mnt folder... (I'll connect via "SecureFX"... correct? or even... as far as I understand... I'll just connect Kindle as Flash... and I'll find these images there...
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #591
Zlatomip

THANK YOU GUYS!!!

FINALY!!))
After I connected to Kindle with Putty (via Wi-Fi), I wrote the commands:
(thanks to twobob and knc1
[root@kindle root]# dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img bs=4K
89600+0 records in
89600+0 records out
367001600 bytes (350.0MB) copied, 143.647631 seconds, 2.4MB/s
[root@kindle root]# dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p2.img bs=4K
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
67108864 bytes (64.0MB) copied, 23.071770 seconds, 2.8MB/s
[root@kindle root]# dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p3 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p3.img bs=4K
8192+0 records in
8192+0 records out
33554432 bytes (32.0MB) copied, 13.013097 seconds, 2.5MB/s
is it all? full backup is finished?)) so now I can do all these horrible things with Kindle?)) (beginning with "pre-brick updates... => rusifications...and so on)?

Last edited by Zlatomip; 10-04-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #592
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
This might be a bit off-topic considering the debricking method mentioned here, but this seems like the best place to post it.

A few times, I've bricked my kindle (5.12) and come accros an unusal debricking method. This is for when your kindle is stuck at the tree screen.

1.Do a hard reset. If this makes any change to the screen, do it again. Repeat until nothing interesting happens.

2. Hold the home button and the power button down simultaneously for 20 seconds. Repeat until nothing happens to the screen.

3. Repeat step 1.

4. Repeat step 2.

5. Blah blah blah.

If this doesn't work for you, maybe my kindle's just weird.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #593
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I do not know how to get in USB Downloader mode on my Paperwhite that was delivered today. I tried "magic key" of one-finger touch, two-finger touch, USB calble in/out, magnet sensor, mag sensor plus one-finger touch, mag sensor plus two-finger touch. All touches were near the bottom. The mag sensor is about one inch (2-3cm) up from the bottom on the right side. Holding a magnet over it puts it to sleep (with screensaver image). Removing the magnet wakes it up.

Could it be sensitive to finger touches in other places on the screen? Can the capacitive sensor detect more than two fingers? Is there another magnet sensor needed for USB Downloader mode? Is it an INTERNAL jumper that we need to get into USB Downloader mode?

The easy stuff did not work.

For now, we will need to do serial port debricking for the Paperwhite.

EDIT: And I cannot add an ENABLE_DIAGS to the USB drive, because it is a zero-byte drive. Perhaps I need to select a language before it will export the USB partition? I will try charging it overnight before trying again...

@Zlatomip: Congratulations! I added your success report to "the list".

@icantbebothered: How did you get so much multi-mega-karma, with the vast majority of your posts in the "Unutterably Silly" thread, and having only been a MobileRead member for a couple of months now? Please provide a link to your most spectacular post that got you the largest karma donation. I really want to know.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-04-2012 at 03:37 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #594
knc1
Going Viral

Try: magnet on corner while holding power switch (people don't normally re-boot their machine with the cover closed is my reasoning).
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #595
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Try: magnet on corner while holding power switch (people don't normally re-boot their machine with the cover closed is my reasoning).
I tried all variations with the magnet that I could think of (on to off transition, off to on transition, with touch, with two touches, with USB jack insertion/removal. What else should I try? It always comes up as a 0-byte drive. Perhaps it needs to charge awhile (but the LEDs are not dim)...
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #596
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatomip View Post
FINALY!!))
After I connected to Kindle with Putty (via Wi-Fi), I wrote the commands:
(thanks to twobob and knc1
[root@kindle root]# dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img bs=4K
89600+0 records in
89600+0 records out
367001600 bytes (350.0MB) copied, 143.647631 seconds, 2.4MB/s
[root@kindle root]# dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p2.img bs=4K
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
67108864 bytes (64.0MB) copied, 23.071770 seconds, 2.8MB/s
[root@kindle root]# dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p3 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p3.img bs=4K
8192+0 records in
8192+0 records out
33554432 bytes (32.0MB) copied, 13.013097 seconds, 2.5MB/s
is it all? full backup is finished?)) so now I can do all these horrible things with Kindle?)) (beginning with "pre-brick updates... => rusifications...and so on)?
Almost -
Now plug in the USB cord from Kindle to computer - -
You should find those three files in the "Kindle storage" (same place you would put a book to read).
Copy them off to someplace safe on your computer for when you later brick the device.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #597
simone.cervellat
simone.cervellat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Debricking unsuccessful

Hi guys, My Kindle 3 started displaying images with pixels missing, wrong tonality etc.. the text was fine though, so I figured the kernel was corrupt and that I could go trough the unbricking process to restore the original files,

I did the procedure with the 3.0.2 version following the debricking for noobs article on the wiki and now my kindle is just displaying the last screen it displayed(usb connected to the computer, witha bad usb image and good text as explained before) and does not want to reboot.

when I release the power switch the green light turns on and stays on forever but nothing else happens..

I am charging it as I write this to see if the debricking process drained the battery...

do you have any other suggestions?
simone.cervellat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #598
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I tried all variations with the magnet that I could think of (on to off transition, off to on transition, with touch, with two touches, with USB jack insertion/removal. What else should I try? It always comes up as a 0-byte drive. Perhaps it needs to charge awhile (but the LEDs are not dim)...
I have only seen pictures - but . . .
Any idea what that "slot" is in-between the USB connector and the power switch?
A "reset" access hole?
Does not seem like it would be a microphone hole, without speakers.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #599
geekmaster

Quote:
I have only seen pictures - but . . .
Any idea what that "slot" is in-between the USB connector and the power switch?
A "reset" access hole?
Does not seem like it would be a microphone hole, without speakers.
No slot. Just a power LED. Wider spacing because no headphone jack or microphone hole like the K5 has...

EDIT: I just unplugged my charger cable, and the LED does look an awful lot like a microphone hole when it is not lit.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-04-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #600
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmm... quite the mystery
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking