Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
CasCat
CasCat began at the beginning.

Device: HP Touchpad
HP Touchpad?

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I'm one of the lucky few who got her hands on an HP touchpad when they went on fire sale. Is there, or will there be, a Calibre release that works for the HP touchpad? Frankly, the only reader software I can find for my Touchpad is slow and clunky....

Appreciate any information. Love the program; been using it with my Sony ereader for years.

Thanks.

Cassy
CasCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
You're in the right place, and there is a thread on Reading on the Touchpad somewhere nearby. I know it's a bit long, and we got off on a tangent a couple of times, but there's links to some helpful guides in there, particularly on how to install Preware, so you can install more than just the ridiculously small number of apps that HP provide.

I have dabbled a little bit with the Kindle app, and it seems okay so far, except it won't let me side-load books.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
CasCat
CasCat began at the beginning.

Device: HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
You're in the right place, and there is a thread on Reading on the Touchpad somewhere nearby. I know it's a bit long, and we got off on a tangent a couple of times, but there's links to some helpful guides in there, particularly on how to install Preware, so you can install more than just the ridiculously small number of apps that HP provide.

I have dabbled a little bit with the Kindle app, and it seems okay so far, except it won't let me side-load books.
Thanks for the tip! (My problem is that I have hundreds of books on my computer and in my Sony Reader, but as you say, the Kindle ap won't recognize them and the preader ap is... disappointing.)

Cassy
CasCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post

There is a program in Preware that lets you sideload books. It is called Kindle Import. Details here:

http://www.precentral.net/kindle-import
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nate wrote a guide in his blog on how to install Preware, it's very easy. I did it earlier today.

However, worth nothing is that the Kindle import app only does .mobi files. If you have a Sony reader you probably have most of your books in EPUB or other non-Kindle formats, and then the import app won't help you.

EDIT:
Try the PReader app mentioned at the end of this blog. I haven't played with it yet, but have heard good things about it, and it can take mobi and epub file formats.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 10-08-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
For those of you who have the option of having a PC always running and connected to the internet, Splashtop HD works just great. Even at a measly 1MB upload speed I have in the location where the PC is at.

Even video runs very smoothly. That is how I put my old PC's to use. Hook them up to TV's.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a touchpad and the kindle app works fine (with the kindle import app).
I read 2 books on it and went back to my ereader with a huge sigh of relief. Eink is much easier on my eyes.
But if you don't have this problem it is quite nice enough.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Fuego
Fuego began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
hey since the touchpad is good for college, would you guys recommend it over a netbook, because i'm a college student with an english major just trying to find a way to do work and basic productivity stuff on the go, like reading, typing up papers and basic web browsing.
Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

If you're going to do a lot of typing, I recommend the TouchPad only of you get the keyboard with it. Also remember that you're not getting MS Office with it, and using a mouse is probably not going to be an option.

If you're looking for something portable that you can whip out in a coffee shop or library corner for a a quick half hour or research or typing, after trying both, I vote netbook.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I also vote for a laptop. Even if you add an external keyboard you don't have a mouse and you would be taking your hand off the keyboard to fool around on screen --- very inefficient.

Tablets are a convenience for consumption, they are great for the quick web or video fix if you can afford multiple devices. But they are not computer replacements. Don't believe that "post PC age" hype. If you can only buy one, get a laptop.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
On Sale today at WOOT refurbished 32gb for $224 shipped.

http://www.woot.com/
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
On Sale today at WOOT refurbished 32gb for $224 shipped.

http://www.woot.com/

I bought two of them early this morning.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
reader program for the HP-Touchpad

I am one of the lucky guys who got a HP Touchpad 32GB for $149.
Can't help smiling :-))

p-reader native is good, sideloaded books on the kindle app works with "Kindle Import" only up to a certain page-limit and i still did not figure it out, how to get it tweaked to get them all complete.

There is also "readMe" and "Book Reader", but they are all not satisfying.

epub's i usually read with my sony psr 505, my nc rooted or my nook touch (even sometimes modified on my palm live drive).
when reading them on the touchpad i use "pReader native"

for reading pdf i bought "Quickoffice" and "Picsel smart office". first one is also good for reading MS-Office Stuff, later one can not only read them, but you can work with them like the "Office to go" on the palm life drive.
They are both better than the pdf-reader, that came with the Touchpad!

in the end, the Touchpad is a great thing to take on vacation, with the build in mic and headphones even VOIP is possible - but i will always include an e-ink device for smooth reading.

Battery life on the HP Touchpad is great. on my last trip from Berlin to New York (9 1/2 hours) I watched one whole season of "sons of anarchy" and half of "Ghost rider", before it run out of juice

keep reading and support Kovid with Callibre

all the best
Harry

Last edited by Harry001; 02-17-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: I did not run out on juice - the pad did!
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have had no problems with the touchpad kindle app and kindle import other than the app will close with an error every so often. Largest book I have imported is probably under 400 pages though.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Just installed CM9 alpha2 on the HP TouchPad last night. It's working pretty great so far (alas, battery drains much faster compared to webOS). Reader apps for Android are just more developed compared to the ones available for webOS. Currently using Mantano Reader, my preferred reading app for the Android platform.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote