Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #31
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
john, should I assume you will be experimenting towards a new firmware?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #32
JohnX
JohnX began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
You know what they say about assuming things. I'm actually more interested in getting Linux running natively than in hacking up Android ROMs, but to do that safely I think I'll need to figure out how to make uboot load a kernel from the "external" SD card. I don't know how far I'll get, so this should be taken up as a call to arms rather than a suggestion that other people should stop their investigations.
JohnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #33
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I think getting linux and driver to run natively is a bigger challenge than working on an android rom.
I have a borked pe (only android side working, after some experiments) and recovery not working.
so if you find a way to develop a proper recovery (something on the line of clockwork) than let me know. also if you get a way of recovering the original rom via serial interface.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #34
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
yeah..I have almost borked this thing a few times
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #35
JRANGER
Connoisseur

ive tried to add lines to update.sh and add in gapps but it installs and then it wont boot up...luckily it still updated back to golden n such
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #36
vicinc
Guru

I also wrote about a device that is similar to ours apart from the eink screen
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...d-2-2-a-2.html
so it may help you on the investigation.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #37
vicinc
Guru

also the german community around same PXA168 based device
http://www.android-hilfe.de/pearl-touchlet-forum/
Old 09-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #38
JRANGER
Connoisseur

is the recover stored on the ram disk? if so you might be able to mount it via update.sh and flash some new stuff to it like clock work..Prob need to look at the recover first though...im kinda new to this so...im trying to find forums and such where I can learn how to pull this stuff apart and get the ifno needed to start building roms and such
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #39
vicinc
Guru

think the german post and the one above on android tablets may give same clues about the structure. I am not an android knob, just trying to get around.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #40
JohnX
JohnX began at the beginning.

@vicinc: Whether I ultimately decide to pursue Android or Linux, my first task is to make sure I can at least semi-reliably get to some kind of recovery mode. My background is mostly Linux stuff, so I'm still figuring out the Android way of doing things. The absolute first thing I need to do is backup my mtd partitions though, so that I have something to recover to. I'll have time to dig in this weekend I hope.

@JTY: If you can get back to the uboot prompt, is there any way you can see if it has support for booting from usb or sd?
JohnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #41
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
We can access the mtd system from within a running PE. I'm working on getting CWM running on this.

Thanks for finding the serial console. Now I am happy to try flashing this since I can get at u_boot's cli to unbrick my device if (when) I mess up.
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #42
JRANGER
Connoisseur

yall are awesome and I think you guys are gonna make a lot of PE users happy...Do you guys having resources that i can read so i can help yall?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #43
vicinc
Guru

1. I do have a ftp space donated for PE development file hosting. pm for details/
2. I have 2 pes. one working fine, one with eink side borked (due to firmware test), android and adb working. if you know how to restore via serial or adb let me know (or how to install clockwork), and I can use that device for tests. the menu/screen rotate does not work anymore on mine.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #44
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
How'd you open up the PE? I dropped mine a few weeks back and noticed now that when I open up the camera app the PE reboots. So, I'm guessing that something must be loose or something along those lines.

Thanks.
LOL I finally opened up the PE and sure enough the camera was disconnected from the motherboard. I pushed it back into its slot, but the camera is still shot . I also mistakenly broke the power nib off (Its the small piece of plastic that the power switch grabs onto to turn the PE on and off. Why'd they make it out of plastic instead of metal is beyond me) Now I cannot turn off the PE. Only put it in hibernate. Oh well, I'm glad that I got another PE off the last Woot for only $80.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #45
vicinc
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
LOL I finally opened up the PE and sure enough the camera was disconnected from the motherboard. I pushed it back into its slot, but the camera is still shot . I also mistakenly broke the power nib off (Its the small piece of plastic that the power switch grabs onto to turn the PE on and off. Why'd they make it out of plastic instead of metal is beyond me) Now I cannot turn off the PE. Only put it in hibernate. Oh well, I'm glad that I got another PE off the last Woot for only $80.
Have you taken pictures step by step on how to open the machine?
what about using a pin to reset it, if you got stuck.