Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Book won't remember position or bookmark

I'm not at all sure whether this should go here or on the mobipocket tool forum, so if I'm mistaken please move it.

I've just started reading a book from HarperCollins/PerfectBound which will not remember where I stopped reading, and will not accept book marks either. I have no problems with other books, including other HarperCollins books, and the Cybook is 80% charged. The chapter links do work.

Two questions
- Is there a way around this other than finishing the chapter each time I read, or perhaps going to the beginning of the chapter and paging forward?
- Would I be entitled to ask the Publisher (HarperCollins) or distributor (Fictionwise) for a new copy of the book? Surely the ability to resume where I left off is an integral part of any ebook!

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The reason for this seems usually to be a corrupted disk (internal or the SD card). I would recommend that you run a file system check on it. Search in the forum for discussions about this and how to check the disk.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Tommy, I'll do that.

If I understand you correctly the SD card might be corrupted only where it stores this particular book - the other books work as expected. So if I check the original of the book on my computer and it works then your suggestion is the correct explanation.

Regards, Alex
Old 10-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The current position is stored in the ".mbp" file for the book. If that file is corrupted, the current position won't be stored. You'll probably find that you can't store bookmarks for the book either.

I wouldn't bothered checking on the desktop reader - just do a "chkdsk" on the internal memory and SD card, as Tommy suggests. That almost always fixes the problem.

NEVER unplug the USB cable without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool on the system tray (if you're a Windows user); doing so can easily lead to corruption of the file system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
There won't be anything wrong with the ebook if you can read it. When you open an ebook, the Cybook creates a matching mbp file to store bookmarks, reading position, etc.
Try deleting the mbp file, open the book and see if the newly created mbp file works properly.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you all, but I'm even more confused now.

I did check the original file anyway, with the Mobipocket Desktop reader, and as you would expect had no problem.

I looked at the folder on the SD card, and noticed that there was no .mbp file for that book.

Just to be obsessional I erased the file from the SD card and copied over the original from the backup flash drive on to the SD card.

I followed the directions for running Windows XP Check Disk on the SD card, three times, with Automatically Fix File System Errors and Scan for .. Recovery of Bad Sectors together and separately.

Then I opened the file on the SD card with the Mobipocket Desktop Reader, and could both set a bookmark and return to the last position.

Then I safely removed the SD card and the card reader from the computer.

Then I put the damn thing back in the Cybook, and still could not return to the last position or set a bookmark.

I have a spare SD card, and I suppose if I must I could try using that one and repopulate the new card from the backup flash drive. But I'd really rather not.

Regards, Alex
Old 10-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try backing up the contents of the SD card to your PC, reformatting the card as FAT32 with the PC, and then restoring the contents. Even though there are no errors detected, it sounds as though there's something "fishy" about the card's format.

I've found that some cards come from the manufacturer with a rather dubious format; it seems to improve the reliability if you format the card yourself.

Bit of a strange one, though!

From the reports we've had here, the occasional SD card just plain doesn't work with the Gen3, for no obvious reason.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Best check the entire filesystem on the card for errors.

Cybook software is embedded Linux. When such Linux finds any problem on filesystem, during normal operation, it puts the entire filesystem in read-only mode, for safety. It might not tell you that, it will continue operating normally, but from that moment on, until you fix the filesystem, it won't write anything into the files that remember bookmarks and your current position in book. So it won't be remembered.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks again Harry, and Krystian.
In fact I ditched the SD card which came with the Cybook some time ago, and have been happily using a 1Gb AMicroe card which I formatted to Fat32.

The plot thickens.
After thinking about it overnight I tried another experiment. As I mentioned earlier I had thoroughly checked the 1Gb SD card's file system, but could not get it to work.

I tried again this afternoon with the SD card in the Cybook, and it still would not work with the Mobipocket reader on the Cybook.

Then I attached the Cybook to the computer, still with the 1Gb card, and used the Mobipocket Desktop reader to read the same book file. With the Mobibipocket Desktop reader I could resume from where I had stopped, and could set and remove bookmarks.

That is, the only difference is the version of the reader I was using.

This seems to weigh against Krystian's suggestion about Linux not writing anything to the SD card when the filesystem is broken - same file, same card; it worked with one reader and not the other.

I understand that there are differences between the two Mobipocket versions, and that the version on the Cybook is a 'cut down' version of the one for desktops; is this correct? Is it possible that there was a minor flaw in the ebook file which the Desktop reader can cope with but the Cybook reader can't?

But that would not explain why I have got the ebook file to run as expected on another SD card, a SanDisk 2Gb card using the Cybook reader.

I think I will use the SanDisk card and repopulate it from the backups.

Regards, Alex
Old 10-31-2008, 05:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Best check the entire filesystem on the card for errors.

Cybook software is embedded Linux. When such Linux finds any problem on filesystem, during normal operation, it puts the entire filesystem in read-only mode, for safety. It might not tell you that, it will continue operating normally, but from that moment on, until you fix the filesystem, it won't write anything into the files that remember bookmarks and your current position in book. So it won't be remembered.
But if that were the case, Alex wouldn't be able to set a bookmark on any book on the SD card. My understanding is that the problem is occuring with one and only one book!

Alex - have you tried moving the book to the Gen3's internal memory and seeing if it will save its initial position there? If it does, that's pretty conclusive proof that the problem lies with the card. If the problem persists there, it would suggest that the problem lies with the book.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Then I attached the Cybook to the computer, still with the 1Gb card, and used the Mobipocket Desktop reader to read the same book file. With the Mobibipocket Desktop reader I could resume from where I had stopped, and could set and remove bookmarks.

That is, the only difference is the version of the reader I was using.

This seems to weigh against Krystian's suggestion about Linux not writing anything to the SD card when the filesystem is broken - same file, same card; it worked with one reader and not the other.
I do not think it do. WIndows and Linux mount things differetly amd I do not thing Windows mount things read only if it detects an error.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But if that were the case, Alex wouldn't be able to set a bookmark on any book on the SD card. My understanding is that the problem is occuring with one and only one book!

Alex - have you tried moving the book to the Gen3's internal memory and seeing if it will save its initial position there? If it does, that's pretty conclusive proof that the problem lies with the card. If the problem persists there, it would suggest that the problem lies with the book.
Thanks, Harry. Yes, you understand correctly. The original fault was with only one book. All others I tested worked as expected.

I'll try your idea of moving the ebook to the Cybook itself, and report back.

I think I understand what Tommy and Krystian are saying now; if I read the ebook from the card in the Cybook but using the Windows Desktop reader then Windows may be mounting the file rather than Linux, and if I try to read the ebook with the Cybook reader then Linux may mount only this particular file read-only. Is this making sense?

Regards, Alex
Old 10-31-2008, 11:58 PM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Now I'm even more confused.

I put the previous SD card into the Cybook, and checked that the ebook would not remember the place I finished and would not accept books marks.

I then attached the Cybook to my computer, and moved the ebook of the SD card to the Cybook 'main memory'. I noted that there was no corresponding .mbp file in the folder containing the ebook file.

After removing the Cybook and CD card safely I opened the ebook, and confirmed that it did accept bookmarks and did reopen where I had closed it.
I also noted that there was an .mbp file for that ebook.

Since I will be using another SD card in future I thought I'd move all the files back to the old SD card from the Cybook 'main memory'. As I was doing so I was asked whether I wanted to replace the .mbp file. Let me repeat: I did not see an .mbp file in the receiving folder. The only explanation I can think of is that there was an .mbp file there but it was hidden. But this seems to go against the explanation given by Tommy and Krystian that Linux had made the file read-only.

For what it is worth I tried the ebook file again when it was back on the old SD card, and it still wouldn't work.

All I know, or think I know, so far is that the original file works and the SD card doesn't.

Regards, Alex
Old 11-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Harry. Yes, you understand correctly. The original fault was with only one book. All others I tested worked as expected.
Does the book's filename contain non-ASCII characters (letters with diacritics, Greek or Cyrillic letters, opening exclamation or question marks...)? Even if it does not seem so, try renaming it to something simple, such as "test.prc".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:36 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Does the book's filename contain non-ASCII characters (letters with diacritics, Greek or Cyrillic letters, opening exclamation or question marks...)? Even if it does not seem so, try renaming it to something simple, such as "test.prc".
Thanks, Jelby. Do you mean renaming the metadata name or the file name?

The original ebook file was something ridiculous, as are many ebooks from Fictionwise. So I have already put it through Mobi2Mobi to set the metada name to The Hallowed Hunt and have renamed the file Chalion3.mobi.

Regards, Alex