Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #151
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
bit of a tangent, but is anyone else loosing thier tiny zombie mind over the October pilot showing of 'The Walking Dead' ... If its a hit there will no doubt be companion novels in the pipeline...

...seriously...i could wee with excitement.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #152
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
I'm so excited I could eat your liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #153
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
My son recently read World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide and loved them. Glad I found this thread so I can help him find other zombie books. But are there any you would *not* recommend for a 12-yr-old boy?
Thanks.
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 AM   #154
sideburnt
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajjb View Post
My son recently read World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide and loved them. Glad I found this thread so I can help him find other zombie books. But are there any you would *not* recommend for a 12-yr-old boy?
Thanks.
its a brutal genre, but if you think you think your kiddo is up to it then Id say there were definatly zombie books that were more engineered towards young adults (see bob the zombie, not as kiddified as it sounds)

World war Z is a harrowing, but good read, and the survival guide is quite funny, but on the whole zombie novels are going to tend to include violence, swearing and graphic horror. check out the recommended lists on Amazon I suggest and read the reviews to get an idea of content,

Id recommend the Morningstar strain book(s), not too gorey and an exciting read for a teen (nearly)
Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #155
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajjb View Post
Thanks.
J.L Bourne's Day by Day series has language. No sex, gore minimum.

Rhiannon Frater's As the world dies series - sex, homosexual themes.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #156
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

"Aftermath of the Dead" by Gregory Smith, published on ebookmall.com

Avoid. I'm not really sure if the story is good or not because I can't get past the total misuse of basic punctuation that destroys the flow of the narrative. Take this example at the beginning of the second chapter,

"Heading east on Highway 44 Michael Whitman, a courier for Express Delivery." That, Gregory, is not a complete sentence.

And look at this gem: "Everyone is very excited to be through the summer heat, but also feel a sense dread as they know old man winter will arrive shortly."

Yea, I also had "a sense dread" as each page of mangled English passed beneath my gaze so that I gave up on it after 9 pages. Luckily, I only paid $6 on this POS.

Last edited by ZombieEatsYou; 08-08-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Unlike Mr. Smith, I proofread my text.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #157
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
This is of course NOT a book, but someothers may like the series too.

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #158
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

I saw the first batch of those. Not bad, just different. Not a romero type story but an interesting and entertaining zombie tale.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #159
sideburnt
Connoisseur

for those out there who enjoyed Day by Day Armaggedon by J.L. Bourne

the sequel has been release in ebook format
Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armaggedon by J.L. Bourne

I enjoyed the first book, even if it was a bit obsessed with gun culture.

Sometimes I think the only reason people write Zombie books is for them to illustrate their unatural interest in guns.

If the zombie came after me in Blighty I'd have a table leg waiting for them, guns are stupid, too noisey and reliant on a 'headshot'.

I've always figured a two man team one with a pike the other a hatchet would get the job done. First person pins the zombie with the pike the other person finishes the job, little risk and mucho high fives all round.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #160
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburnt View Post

First person pins the zombie with the pike the other person finishes the job, little risk and mucho high fives all round.
Quit bloodthirsty I must say. What's wrong with the younger generation! Violence is ALWAYS the answer for them.

If we learn to reason with our zombie brothers and sisters we can all get along.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #161
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburnt View Post

I enjoyed the first book, even if it was a bit obsessed with gun culture.
Hmm I didn't get that feeling at all. Ive read a lot of mens adventure books and these were pretty low key, at least I thought so. But regarding the noise issue and zombies I got to agree.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #162
SameOldStory
My True Self

Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #163
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
HAHA!

Has anyone read Pride Prejudice and Zombies? I've heard it's boring...but then again it is an exact copy of Pride and Prejudice with some Zombies thrown in.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #164
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Well, PPZ is okay, though I was a bit dissatisfied with some aspects of it. I realise that the work was meant to be a pastiche, but it really just felt like the occasional detail was tweaked to fit in with the apocalyptic atmosphere of the story -- undead encroaching on London? There goes the social season! -- without dwelling on any impact beyond the superficial that the risen dead would surely have on society. Oh, and let's toss in a couple of ninjas while we're at it, because ninjas are cool. Still, it's an amusing enough story.

From the little I've read of 'Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter' (by the same author), my impression is that it's better written than PPZ. There's also a prequel to PPZ by a different author, Dawn of the Dreadfuls, that apparently helps to fill in the gaps of the story, but I haven't read it yet.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #165
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
I'm currently reading A Chemical Fire by Brian Martinez which I believe is available at both Kindle and Smashwords. I'm not done so I can't quite recommend it, but so far I'm impressed. I'm not a zombie fan, and I'm still not 100% convinced he'll pull off the zombie stuff, but the first 1/4 or so of the book (before the chemical fire that leads to the zombification is extremely well done and dark on its own. The book starts off as the story of a man who after an accident is falling into addiction and then finds himself fighting zombies in a post-apocalyptic disaster zone. That first 1/4 was so strong and interesting on its own that had their been no disaster and no zombies I would have kept reading. It's certainly not like anything else I've read.
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote