Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #466
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is there a list somewhere of shops that will sell Nexus 7? I am going to Chicago for Worldcon in the end of August and plan to buy a Nexus 7 then and wondered what shops would be best to go to?
I haven't seen any kind of list. The stores I know of in the US are...

Staples
Office Depot
Game Stop
Sams Club
Frys (not sure if in store or web only)

I'd think Best Buy will be carrying it since they are in Canada, but AFAIK nothing has been announced yet.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-13-2012 at 09:59 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #467
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Other B&M's carrying the Nexus 7...

Canada
Future Shop
Best Buy

Australia
Harvey Norman
JB Hi-Fi
Dick Smith
Bing Lee
The Good Guys
Retravision
Radio Rentals
Officeworks
EB Games
Costco
BSR
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #468
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
BB has a 14 day return policy on PCs and tablets; most anything else is 30 days. I have never incurred a restocking fee at my local store.

If one wants to test run this first and are concerned with any fee on return BB is the place afaik.

Last edited by robertc88; 07-13-2012 at 03:45 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #469
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
BB has a 14 day return policy on PCs and tablets; most anything else is 30 days. I have never incurred a restocking fee at my local store.

If one wants to test run this first and are concerned with any fee on return BB is the place afaik.
It's 30 days and no restocking fee.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #470
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
8Mpx != 8MB, JPEG compresses very well, so the typical file will be well below 8MB, more like 2MB (incidentally, 8Mpx without compression requires 24MBytes, 3 bytes per pixel assuming your image is 24bits color).

I have a SLR plus compact for my travels, so my camera phone is pretty much irrelevant, but we're digressing. Anyway, I personally don't use digital zoom on any camera, the ones that have it have the feature disabled as I prefer to crop later on the desktop if I need to.
Your calculation is right on.
My sister just sent me 3 pictures straight from her iPhone.
The sizes were 2.12MB, 1.91MB, 1.8MB.
The image size of the larger one was 36" x 26.9".
I used PSP to reduce the pictures to 8" wide and about 95K each.

Still very nice pictures. It was of her youngest grandchild, 3 years old.

I gave her a Fuji camera some years ago with a zoom to take pictures of our mom, and then she got a Canon because it was easier or so she said, but I don't know why, and now she only uses her iPhone because it is easier still.
But the pictures have gone down in quality.

The nice thing about the iPhone for me is that she can just mail the pictures to me directly and I do get them from time to time.

I only got one batch of pictures from that Fuji and none from the Canon.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #471
Delfic_Clearo
Delfic_Clearo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What if the idea is to have the user upload to a cloud? So extra memory is available, it's just not on the device. Ergo no card slot

Akin to some ultralight PCs which have no optical drive. Data is presumed to come from or go to a server via WiFi or whatever.
Delfic_Clearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #472
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfic_Clearo View Post
What if the idea is to have the user upload to a cloud? So extra memory is available, it's just not on the device. Ergo no card slot

Akin to some ultralight PCs which have no optical drive. Data is presumed to come from or go to a server via WiFi or whatever.
you are a bit late to the party :-) the main argument from the pro SD party is that they don't want no stinky cloud as wifi is not always available.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #473
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
The nexus 7 has everything I wanted in the fire but did not have.. ie GPS, bluetooth, orientation sensor and so on.
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #474
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
The nexus 7 has everything I wanted in the fire but did not have.. ie GPS, bluetooth, orientation sensor and so on.
Fire has an orientation sensor. I have a bubble level app on mine.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #475
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Fire has an orientation sensor. I have a bubble level app on mine.
True but the lack of bluetooth & GPS was a instant killer
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #476
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfic_Clearo View Post

Ultralight laptops with no optical drives also have usb ports, card slots, and huge local drives.

There are Chromebooks and the like, but they are not really taking off.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #477
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are Chromebooks and the like, but they are not really taking off.
I want a Chromebox. As soon as the prices drop, I'm getting one to replace my PC.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #478
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I want a Chromebox. As soon as the prices drop, I'm getting one to replace my PC.
You want a tablet that doesn't depend on the cloud and computer that does?

Last edited by ApK; 07-14-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #479
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Monkeys aren't necessarily rational. They just know what they want and what they won't.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #480
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
You want a tablet that doesn't depend on the cloud and computer that does?
Computer stays home where there's lots of WiFi.

Tablet travels to locations where there's no WiFi.

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet