Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #121
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Kenny,

Tell me what's wrong so I can start a healthy, civilized and nice debate with you. That's possible with you, maybe not with other forum members, but I know we both can. ;-)

Last edited by jocampo; 04-15-2011 at 10:33 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #122
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Don't you have to sign a contract with Xoom?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #123
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Do you have to sign a contract with Apple ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #124
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

benham,

Actually, I think is month to month, no contract, like Galaxy Tab 3G. But maybe Kenny can confirm. Apple is doing the same with iPad 2 models, month to month.

Hey! the economy is still bad, people are not willing to sign contracts and be stuck with a wireless plan for 2 years just for the sake of having a tablet.

Having said that, my iPad2 is wifi only. If later I decide and buy the Xoom, will be the wifi model as well. Xoom and iPads are too big to be considered a portable device; I use them mostly at home so 3G or 4G is useless there. In case of travel, I can do tethering from my Android cellphone or Galaxy Tab.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-15-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #125
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If there is a need for a xoom vs iPad thread it should be started separately. This is topic shift for the current thread. Perhaps even a comparison wiki page would be better.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #126
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If there is a need for a xoom vs iPad thread it should be started separately. This is topic shift for the current thread. Perhaps even a comparison wiki page would be better.
Agree!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #127
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Kenny,

Tell me what's wrong so I can start a healthy, civilized and nice debate with you. That's possible with you, maybe not with other forum members, but I know we both can. ;-)
Not sure what you mean, you have an opinion, I have a different one and have said exactly that.

Someone above claimed that all other tablets had catching up to do and I disputed that and provided specific reasons why.

There's no debated needed. I objected to the claim. End of story.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #128
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Not sure what you mean, you have an opinion, I have a different one and have said exactly that.

Someone above claimed that all other tablets had catching up to do and I disputed that and provided specific reasons why.

There's no debated needed. I objected to the claim. End of story.
What I mean is that having several features that don't work, is a fact, not an opinion. To me, is like paying in advance for something I don't have now. That's not ok to me, but fair enough, I'm glad you like your device "as is".
Old 04-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #129
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What I mean is that having several features that don't work, is a fact, not an opinion. To me, is like paying in advance for something I don't have now. That's not ok to me, but fair enough, I'm glad you like your device "as is".
That's not the point as I tried to explain. Regardless of what you are saying many of the technical features of the Xoom are BETTER than what is available on the iPad. That is my my point. The person who made the claim stated an OPINION and it simply isn't true. Which tablet is the "best" is very much dependent on what your requirements are.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #130
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's not the point as I tried to explain. Regardless of what you are saying many of the technical features of the Xoom are BETTER than what is available on the iPad. That is my my point. The person who made the claim stated an OPINION and it simply isn't true. Which tablet is the "best" is very much dependent on what your requirements are.
Hmmm,

Now I'm confused or maybe I got it wrong from you, but you said on a previous post that Xoom is comparable and even better than iPad.

But I agree, in my opinion and based on price and current features, I believe the iPad 2 is better than the Xoom. I based my opinion on available market apps as well, not just hardware, which will require some months to be at same level with Apple. The main reason is the screen. The Galaxy Tab does not suffer or same problem because the changes on screen size was not so dramatic. So most Froyo apps work perfectly fine.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #131
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@jocampo, you are giving a lot of incorrect information.

The Xoom has a WI-FI only model. All of the Xoom products are priced exactly to match the iPad so the Xoom is NOT more expensive. The Xoom does not have a low end model, but Apple has reported that the best selling iPad was it's 32GB not the 16GB.

Xoom did not intro with a 32GB WI-FI only model, but it has one now. It's cost is $599 which is what the 32GB WI-FI iPad 2 costs.

You also keep on hammering Xoom for not having LTE and SD Card support, but these features don't exist on the iPad 2 as well.

I do agree that Moto should have had SD Card support from the beginning, but not LTE especially since most of the US does not have access to LTE.

=X=

Quote:
benham,

Actually, I think is month to month, no contract, like Galaxy Tab 3G. But maybe Kenny can confirm. Apple is doing the same with iPad 2 models, month to month.

Hey! the economy is still bad, people are not willing to sign contracts and be stuck with a wireless plan for 2 years just for the sake of having a tablet.

Having said that, my iPad2 is wifi only. If later I decide and buy the Xoom, will be the wifi model as well. Xoom and iPads are too big to be considered a portable device; I use them mostly at home so 3G or 4G is useless there. In case of travel, I can do tethering from my Android cellphone or Galaxy Tab.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #132
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

The Xoom has a WI-FI only model. All of the Xoom products are priced exactly to match the iPad so the Xoom is NOT more expensive. The Xoom does not have a low end model, but Apple has reported that the best selling iPad was it's 32GB not the 16GB.

Xoom did not intro with a 32GB WI-FI only model, but it has one now. It's cost is $599 which is what the 32GB WI-FI iPad 2 costs.

You also keep on hammering Xoom for not having LTE and SD Card support, but these features don't exist on the iPad 2 as well.

I do agree that Moto should have had SD Card support from the beginning, but not LTE especially since most of the US does not have access to LTE.

=X=
There was no wifi model AT THE TIME I bought the iPad 2, and I clearly stated that on my post!

Yeah, I'm making those statements about those missing features because you are paying for those when buying one.

When you get an iPad wifi, you are not paying for 3G or 4G or SD card and you see that on the price tag.

And don't get me wrong, I've said before I like the operating system and the hardware, but right now, it is not ready yet!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #133
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

The Xoom does not have a low end model, but Apple has reported that the best selling iPad was it's 32GB not the 16GB.

=X=
Apple reported the ASP of the iPad was $600, which happens to match the 32G iPad price-but I don't remember ever seeing them report one model was selling better than the other.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #134
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Right, and I don't need a SD card like most iPad users so that does not make the Xoom better. Actually the good thing about Xoom is the multitasking, filesystem and Os itself, instead of the hardware, at least for me.

I would reevaluate my thoughts in a year or so, but the Xoom has too many unfinished features that right now I would not say it's better than iPad.

I like it but it is not ready and barely have Honeycomb ready apps. That will take months to change or develop. The Xoom it's too heavy, more expensive and without enough apps at this moment to be considered perfect or better than iPad. A good market and lot of apps are the 50% or more of the device's value; we don't have that for Honeycomb yet.
Quote:
benham,

Quote:
There was no wifi model AT THE TIME I bought the iPad 2, and I clearly stated that on my post!
These are your post from today, that use present tense. Please show me where you clearly state at the time of your purchase. I've underlined the quotes I was commenting on

Also I think it is quite juvenal and rude that you have to bold and cap your post. It is one thing to bold when highlighting a quote, and another to respond in such a manner.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #135
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well I don't know about a comparison page, but it might be good to have tablet devices listed -- particularly as they become more popular for reading.