Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
iPad "devouring" netbook sales..

I take this with a grain of salt, because it's pretty early in the iPad's life to really make this claim, but an interesting one none the less. ZDNet reports that the iPad is impacting netbook sales already.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I think it's reasonable to assume that some consumers waited to make a netbook purchase until the iPad was out. Anybody who paid any attention to Apple knew that something was in the works last fall. I know that I held off buying my 13" MacBook Pro until after the iPad specs were announced.

But that doesn't answer whether they CHOOSE the iPad over a netbook. At the iPad's price point, many potential-netbook buyers probably are still busy reading reviews and playing at the nearest Apple store.

The bigger question will be what happens to sales of all those devices in the next 3-6 months. If any drops off, then it is clear the iPad is cannabilizing certain product lines.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I thought the iPad WAS a netbook?

I guess it's kind of like saying that the iPhone devoured cell phone sales.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I take this with a grain of salt, because it's pretty early in the iPad's life to really make this claim, but an interesting one none the less. ZDNet reports that the iPad is impacting netbook sales already.
I believe it. A real netbook mainly is a geek tool/toy - just a smaller, often slower, crappier version of a notebook. Some may be more rugged and safer to bring to a rough job site because of size/cheapness... many are given to school-aged kids. But there isn't anything in a netbook that makes them inherently easier to use, just a smaller form factor. The nicer "netbooks" today are actually just small notebooks as they push 10-12" (that size has been around for ages) and you won't find many 7" screens anymore which is how they started.

Many geeks don't get the iPad's appeal, but there are a lot of nongeeks out there. I'm a geek, I once agreed with the initial assessment of "useless", but thinking of giving my parents email/browsing and a few other things on a machine I won't have to babysit when I visit on the holidays appeals to me
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I thought the iPad WAS a netbook?
Nope. iPad is a slate.

Just think of a netbook as a 10 inch or less (maybe 12" now) notebook, generally without DVD drive, often with an ATOM processors, sometimes ARM (such as alway's innovating's netbook). They generally don't have touchscreens but always do have physical keyboards.

The biggest software difference is the OS. Most netbooks will run a desktop OS, perhaps slimmed down, but made for a mouse. iPad runs iPhone's OS, which has no mouse. Seems trivial, but turns out to be a big difference.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Yeah, that's why I said I take it with a grain of salt. It's a bit too early to tell. I do believe the netbook market is becoming saturated, Asus announces a new model every other week. You don't see families buying more than one and I imagine everyone who wants one has one already. There is no way netbooks could maintain a 641% growth rate unless they gave one out in every box of cereal.

Personally, I'll say my netbook is collecting a lot of dust since I got my iPad. But everyone has different needs. My iPad with Apple's bluetooth wireless keyboard sure makes it feel like a netbook, and now there's at least one case coming to market to give the iPad a netbook type feel.

I'm thinking in a few years netbooks as they are today will be gone. We'll have slate type devices with detachable keyboards like that case. Portability when you want it, a keyboard and clamshell when you'd prefer that.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
Nope. iPad is a slate.
We're mostly down in "marketing" land at this point. Call it a multimedia tablet, slate, netbook without a keyboard,... etc.

The point is, it's not a brand new technology that is stealing sales from another market. It's just another brand name in the same market. Of course it's going to eat away at sales, that's what happens when a competitor releases a competing product.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I think the reason netbook sales are down is because everyone is waiting to see what kind of new netbooks in tablet/slate format come out. My netbook is about 3 years old but I absolutely love it. I am definitely in the market to upgrade my netbook but I want a tablet/slate. I think there are many many others waiting as well...

Last edited by CyGuy; 05-07-2010 at 02:34 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is it a fair comparison to compare the 2, not really sure
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio6414 View Post
Is it a fair comparison to compare the 2, not really sure
It is not really a device comparison, it is more of a "which one did you spend your money on" comparison.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Most netbooks will run a desktop OS, perhaps slimmed down, but made for a mouse. iPad runs iPhone's OS, which has no mouse. Seems trivial, but turns out to be a big difference.
And that is why I went with the MBP 13 rather than the iPad, once Apple made clear what OS it would run. I needed OSX for Photoshop. I've talked to a few people excited about the iPad that haven't grasped the difference between the iPad/iPhone OS and a desktop OS.

Quote:
I'm thinking in a few years netbooks as they are today will be gone. We'll have slate type devices with detachable keyboards like that case. Portability when you want it, a keyboard and clamshell when you'd prefer that.
That clamshell case is pretty slick. I hope that is where tablets are going - it gives you the best of both worlds, when you need it.

And I hope that they'll be able to run robust photo-editing apps. The #1 reason I went notebook vs. waiting for the iPad is I need Photoshop's layer capabilities. So for me, my options are:

1. Apple to build layers into Aperture/iPhoto
2. Adobe to build Photoshop for the iPad OS
3. switch to a better paying career so I can afford a MBP AND an iPad
4. win an iPad

1 and 2 will happen when hell freezes over, and #3 isn't likely in this economy or my personal preferences. So I'm working option #4 - I'm entered in two iPad contests right now
Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books

While not quite Photoshop (which will never make it to the iPad), Photogene is pretty good for touching up photos you took with your camera. It's more along the line of Elements. There's still a few things missing, like easy red-eye reduction and a "heal" tool but I've emailed with the developers and they said they have those and many more improvements in the works. $4 well spent. If you're looking for full Photoshop, that isn't likely until we have more capable devices, a 1gz processor and 256M of RAM just isn't going to cut it.

Zagg also offers PhotoPad for free, not a bad set of tools either at a good price.

Good luck with your contests!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
If you're looking for full Photoshop, that isn't likely until we have more capable devices, a 1gz processor and 256M of RAM just isn't going to cut it.
I can dream

Thanks for sharing the two apps. They show promise for photo editing. It's encouraging that editing software is being developed - competition for Adobe and Apple is only a good thing.

My need for layers is for digital photobooks/scrapbooking - taking multiple elements and combining into one document and flattening for print. The only Mac options right now are PS, Elements and Inkscape. There are some browser-based photobook sites, but they are Flash-generated (and clunky and lock you to using that company's limited and often ugly designs, but that's a different issue).

Shutterfly is the most encouraging of the photobook websites, since their designs are more sophisticated. I have hope that they'll get into the iPad game. They just launched a cute iPhone app (Wink) that lets you take 4 photos on your iPhone and get a photobooth-style print sent to you.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
And that is why I went with the MBP 13 rather than the iPad, once Apple made clear what OS it would run. I needed OSX for Photoshop. I've talked to a few people excited about the iPad that haven't grasped the difference between the iPad/iPhone OS and a desktop OS.

That clamshell case is pretty slick. I hope that is where tablets are going - it gives you the best of both worlds, when you need it.

And I hope that they'll be able to run robust photo-editing apps. The #1 reason I went notebook vs. waiting for the iPad is I need Photoshop's layer capabilities. So for me, my options are:

1. Apple to build layers into Aperture/iPhoto
2. Adobe to build Photoshop for the iPad OS
3. switch to a better paying career so I can afford a MBP AND an iPad
4. win an iPad

1 and 2 will happen when hell freezes over, and #3 isn't likely in this economy or my personal preferences. So I'm working option #4 - I'm entered in two iPad contests right now

I been thinking about installing a Touchscreen on my MSI Wind. I like to be able to use a pen, or my fingers for editing in photoshop. My wind I have 2 gigs of ram, and Windows 7 and Mac OS X dual booted on it. It would costs around 80-90 bucks to get the kit they say, I just haven't gotten around to it.

http://netbookmag.com/2009/02/26/tut...-installation/
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #15
Harry7
Harry7 began at the beginning.

Device: None
75 million netbooks were sold in the last 2 years, 16 million in the us alone last year. It remains to be seen if the ipad can sustain it's sales pace. If netbooks sales are slowing it's probably because everyone who wants one already has one. Let's see how well ipad does Before proclaiming it a netbook killer. I would buy an asus 1201N over an ipad. For less than the cheapest ipad you get a real computer with areal HD display, Ion graphics, 250GB HDD and HDMI out.
Harry7 is offline   Reply With Quote