Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #91
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I stalled at reading Lolita for decades because of the subject matter. However, the book was fascinating and in no way promoted pedophilia. But it falls into the erotic and romantic categories in the same way that The Silence of the Lambs falls into the Culinary Delights category.

It surprised me as well. Just to make sure that WorldCat wasn't completely out-of-whack, I looked up its classification of Death in Venice. Thankfully it only has "Fiction" as a classification.

I mainly brought up the WorldCat information because it's been used in this club in an attempt to invalidate a selection previously. So I was curious to see what it had to say on this matter - particularly as I also had a gut reaction against Lolita as a romance.

I'll still give it a vote. Romance isn't really my genre unless it moves away from the bodice ripper. We have a nice selection of nominations that have done just that for me.

I'll be giving a vote also to A Town Like Alice (inspired choice) and Water for Elephants (because I own it already).

Looking forward to see what comes out of the vote.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #92
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The February voting poll is up and running.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203459
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I mainly brought up the WorldCat information because it's been used in this club in an attempt to invalidate a selection previously.
WorldCat was not the only source I used to try to get Cloud Atlas invalidated. It's possible for them to have made a mistake. But I did post enough authoritative sources and I was correct. It wasn't and still isn't science fiction.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #94
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I would second Maurice if an ebook edition could be found. That's a good book and a great choice. Strange that no one has published one.
Thanks! When I nominated it I didn't realise it wasn't available as an e-book. I agree it's strange that it isn't.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #95
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
WorldCat was not the only source I used to try to get Cloud Atlas invalidated. It's possible for them to have made a mistake. But I did post enough authoritative sources and I was correct. It wasn't and still isn't science fiction.
Not arguing with you about Could Atlas. I brought in WorldCat because you put it forward as a very authoritative source and the one we should be paying attention to - especially with the statement that it should be considered more authoritative than both Amazon and Wikipedia combined. By this I inferred that it was a good source to perform an initial check of a title's suitability.

On the other hand, even using all your cited, authoritative sources doesn't save Shards of Honor from a purely Science Fiction/War Stories classification, but I'm guessing you know that already. Of course, I don't usually have a problem with hypocrisy per se, because we're all hypocrites - at least to some degree.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Not arguing with you about Could Atlas. I brought in WorldCat because you put it forward as a very authoritative source and the one we should be paying attention to - especially with the statement that it should be considered more authoritative than both Amazon and Wikipedia combined. By this I inferred that it was a good source to perform an initial check of a title's suitability.

On the other hand, even using all your cited, authoritative sources doesn't save Shards of Honor from a purely Science Fiction/War Stories classification, but I'm guessing you know that already. Of course, I don't usually have a problem with hypocrisy per se, because we're all hypocrites - at least to some degree.
I know Shards of Honor is not a true love story. But I figured that given that a number of us don't really care for the true romance type book that I'd try to fond one that had some sort of love in it that might be overall OK with those that don't like romance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote