Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
prsmith
prsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Two piece vs One piece Plug

In another thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn56 View Post
Santa brought 3 Vox's to our house. One had a one-piece plug, the other two had the two-piece adapter style plug.

The Vox's with the two-piece plugs, updated without issue. The Vox with the one-piece plug, started updating and then gave an error message (twice), however, the third time it updated successfully.

No problems since then.
Glen56 - sorry, I have not bought the Vox yet so I can not relate to what you are saying. What plug are you talking about? Is it the charging cord and is the two piece plug on the Vox or Wall end?

Does the one- piece plug charge when you wiggle it?

I wonder if anyone else has had the same success as you had with the 2 piece plug? Are those with two piece plugs having better success with their Vox?

If I knew what plug you are speaking about, I would demand the two piece when I buy my Vox today or tomorrow

Thanks,
PR
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
He means that the part with the three prongs for UK mains sockets, slides and locks into the charger proper. MY Vox came with one. I expect it was just coincidence though. I can't believe that the type of charger affects firmware upgrades. Or that it's possible to know which is in the box without opening it.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
prsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
He means that the part with the three prongs for UK mains sockets, slides and locks into the charger proper. MY Vox came with one. I expect it was just coincidence though. I can't believe that the type of charger affects firmware upgrades. Or that it's possible to know which is in the box without opening it.
Glen56 is from Canada so I do not know if he has the same setup as you do.

My point is that if there is a flimsy cable connection perhaps the Vox is not charging properly. We seem to be getting nowhere with fixes for the charging problem so maybe it is a hardware rather then software issue.

PR
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
My Vox came with the 2-piece charger, where the prongs can be detached and replaced with ones to fit foreign receptacles. It will take up to 250 vac. The cord does not detach from the charger. It looks just like this Blackberry charger.

The packaging was designed to hold the parts separately. No doubt this was the charger supplied initially because it would satisfy different world markets by just substituting different prongs. Now, Kobo probably ships dedicated one-piece chargers to different countries because it's cheaper.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
prsmith

Thank you oldyellr!

Glen 56 says the two piece worked flawlessly whereas the one piece did not. From what I see in the photo I would have thought the opposite (one additional connection to not work properly) unless the one piece has a flaw in it

Strange
PS
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I would be more inclined to think that the new one-piece charger could be of lower quality or else the USB port on the Vox was defective. There's a posting elsewhere on this forum where someone had an intermittent USB connection, possibly a mechanical issue.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
I don't know where I got the UK bit from.
I still think that the charger had nothing to do with the failed upgrades.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Vox
I had the two piece charger-no issues with upgrading. I screwed it up by mucking with the system files, so Kobo exchanged it for me. This one has the one piece charger, and no problems with it either.
terranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
jsokal
jsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: vox
I have two units with the two piece charger and a third with the one piece charger. All three started up and continue to run flawlessly.
jsokal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Vereya
Vereya began at the beginning.

Does anyone knows where I can find other plugs for Vox. I'm going to Eastern Europe in couple of months and I'd like to take it with me? I need the plug with two round prongs on it not the flat one like the Canadian.
Vereya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
you would probably find Blackberry ones more easily and cheaply if you have the 2 piece charger. The BB ones fit the Vox charger. Amazon has some very cheap...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002G...275676&sr=1-29

The prongs slide out and are exactly the same as the Vox's. You couldn't use the charger itself, but at 6.19, the price is still great just for the prongs...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Glenn56
Glenn56 began at the beginning.

Sorry Guys, but I've been busy doing nothing on my holiday.

My original post may have been a bit misleading in that I don't think the charger (one piece plug) had anything to do with the start-up failure. My point was that the batch of Vox's that came with that particular plug may have been an earlier version, maybe? with some inherent difference. My sister-in-law got that unit and I don't think she's had any other issues so far - just saying...
Glenn56 is offline   Reply With Quote