Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
JaBagCali598
JaBagCali598 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Chapter Positioning

Help please!

I'm in the process of generating a new ebook for publication on Kindle.

I've got the general alignment how I want, (no indent on first paras), and a working TOC with subsections. So much for the good news.

Each new chapter starts at the top of a new page. I would like to be able to place each new chapter so it starts 1/3 of the way down the page. Does anyone know a (simple) way to do this? (I'm not too conversant with html, or xml.)

I have tried just adding extra lines to the epub version in Sigil, then retransferring back as mobi, but when I load it on the kindle, the chapter heading shoots back to the top of the page.

Cheers,

James
JaBagCali598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You can do it by adding a large margin-top to the css for the tag/class you are using for your chapters e.g.

If you view the code in Sigil and your chapter heading look like
Code:
<h2>Chapter 1</h2>
then edit the css file to have something like the following (make the 6em bigger/smaller to taste).
Code:
h2 {margin-top: 6em;}

If the chapter headings are more like
Code:
<h2 class="chaphdg">Chapter 1</h2>
then edit the css file to have something like
Code:
.chaphdg {margin-top: 6em;}
or perhaps
Code:
h2.chaphdg {margin-top: 6em;}
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
JaBagCali598
JaBagCali598 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Jackie - Thanks so much for such a wonderfully clear answer! It works perfectly!
JaBagCali598 is offline   Reply With Quote