Reading, by a little 15 15.96%
Tie 25 26.60%
Surfing, by a lot 3 3.19%
Surfing, by a little 6 6.38%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Web surfing is a general term.

I could be reading the Sunday New York Times for hours on the web - does that count as reading or surfing? I read the articles to completion and the paper has my 100% attention.

I love reading real books and newspapers and they have their advantages, but on the web, you have an immediate social aspect in the comments. Yeah, there's some brainless, nasty stuff out there, but there's alot of good comments as well, some better than the actual article. And if you have a friend to ichat with, that's even better.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
It's a tie for me between books and Internet. I read a lot of nonfiction and news. What puts me in psychological flow state is editing, which I do for a living. Neither books nor Internet come anywhere close to editing for me. Flow meaning this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Considering the amount of time I spend on each, I voted for web surfing. But a good book is so much more satisfying than an informative website.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #19
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I prefer to read. I only surf the net if I'm looking for something in particular, or I want to buy something I can't get in the stores. If I start surfing the net something is bound to catch my eye, and off I go in a direction I never intended to go in the first place. Before I know it, a couple of hours have flown by. Time I could have spent relaxing and reading a good book.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Well, remember that I asked about enjoyment. One member made the good point that he makes better lasting leisure memories by reading a book than by surfing. That is certainly enjoyable. But is it more enjoyable than blowing 2 hours watching hilarious youtube videos? Maybe not, maybe so.

I think a lot of us use the web for learning, and that can certainly be fun too. Especially since it is tailored to our own style and search terms.

One thing I've noticed is that I can surf the web seemingly without end, but I can only read for an hour or two before I am ready for a nap. Weird.

I bet that folks with short attention spans and/or ADD/ADHD like surfing better.

I also think they supplement each other well, surfing and reading books. All of us avid readers are a bit less loners because of this forum than we would be otherwise. Just social in a more private way, I guess.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #21
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by menevets View Post
Web surfing is a general term.

I could be reading the Sunday New York Times for hours on the web - does that count as reading or surfing? I read the articles to completion and the paper has my 100% attention.

I love reading real books and newspapers and they have their advantages, but on the web, you have an immediate social aspect in the comments. Yeah, there's some brainless, nasty stuff out there, but there's alot of good comments as well, some better than the actual article. And if you have a friend to ichat with, that's even better.
You know, it's something I have never been able to do. I read the NYT on the web too, occasionally, but I have trouble concentrating on what I read until the end of the article.

I think it's a matter of multitasking. I never sit down at my computer to read. I do it between other tasks, either at home or at work. Reading on the web is a more or less guilty pleasure, a break from more serious and boring stuff.

Also, sitting in front of the computer is not a comfortable position. Even on my sofa with my laptop, I am never as comfortable as reading a book.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Also, sitting in front of the computer is not a comfortable position. Even on my sofa with my laptop, I am never as comfortable as reading a book.
That's what's nice about surfing the web on the iPad. It's as comfortable to do as reading a book. The BBC News site is my main source of news, so I spend quite a lot of time each day reading that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #23
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's what's nice about surfing the web on the iPad. It's as comfortable to do as reading a book. The BBC News site is my main source of news, so I spend quite a lot of time each day reading that.
Totally agree. The tablet form, for me, was custom made for reading the Sunday papers. Not perfect for writing comments, but good enough.

Go to a cafe that features lots of kids playing WOW and you'll see lots of people sitting for hours and hours, long hours. With me, it's the same except I'm reading. The key is to get up and stretch every so often or break up the time with exercise.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #24
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yup. My husband and I used to spend hours reading the Sunday papers, with them spread out all over our long dining table, while we had a lazy breakfast or brunch. We still do that, minus the print papers.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote