Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
nbarr
nbarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
2.3 firmware in new Kindles

Just got my Kindle 2 two weeks ago, and noticed that the firmware installed was the 2.3. If it weren't for the forums, I wouldn't know the most recent firmware was the 2.3.4. And then I had no way of updating it through Amazon. There was no automatic update, nor there were firmware files to be downloaded from Amazon. I had to dig the forums to get my firmware updates.

Why doesn't Amazon put the latest firmware in the new Kindles? And why doesn't at least update them through automatic download, or even make them available for download in their website? Lame approach from Amazon, in my opinion...
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
iphitus
iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarr View Post
Just got my Kindle 2 two weeks ago, and noticed that the firmware installed was the 2.3. If it weren't for the forums, I wouldn't know the most recent firmware was the 2.3.4. And then I had no way of updating it through Amazon. There was no automatic update, nor there were firmware files to be downloaded from Amazon. I had to dig the forums to get my firmware updates.

Why doesn't Amazon put the latest firmware in the new Kindles? And why doesn't at least update them through automatic download, or even make them available for download in their website? Lame approach from Amazon, in my opinion...
Chances are the 'new' kindle was manufactured and boxed up before that firmware was available. Upgrading it would require the devices to be shipped somewhere, have someone unpack, upgrade and repack it, then ship it back to the distribution warehouse. Seems too costly to me.

I suppose the kindle could check for update upon first, or an early boot. Though updates OTA are at Amazon's cost and I can understand them being reluctant to send an update to your new kindle today, when there's another update in the next month or so anyway.

Previously you could download the update from Amazon's website. It's odd that they removed the 2.3.3 update from their website in the preparation for 2.5. That should have remained.
iphitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I also got a new Kindle DX in April that had only 2.3 on it. And the 2.3.3 & 2.3.4 updates aren't available anywhere anymore. Guess we just have to lump it until the 2.5 comes out (whenever that may be...).

iphitus, thanks for your theory on why this may be the case. It's still frustrating that they wouldn't bother to give us the most-current software, though.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote