Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #76
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Well I finally got around to watching the last season so thought I'd skim this thread and give my 2 cents.

All IMHO of course.........

1: I enjoyed the series. Seasons 3 and 4 really meandered and could have been done without though.
2: I was satisfied with the ending. Mainly due to the fact that I kept watching the series because I liked the characters and not for the islands mysteries. I thought they tied up all the main questions about the characters fairly well. There were major holes but in all honesty I thought there were going to be even bigger holes.
3: I wouldn't call it "the most important television series" of any decade because quite frankly all television is unimportant in my opinion. Sure it got people talking and it was fascinating viewing(to me anyway) but it was still just a tv show. I wouldn't even call it the best tv show ever.
4: The religious overtones were there from the start. The "big mysteries" of life were always going to be alluded to and talked around without an answer ever being given because as humans we just don't have the answers. Someone mentioned before about the only way an answer could be given was by going off into something stupid like aliens. I agree with that but I would say that any answer would sound trite, stupid and not satisfy everyone.
5: I don't think there will be a spin off. Personally I think the show was canceled because the producers realised that as the show went on they kept losing more and more viewers. They were left with mostly rabid fans and hangers on who just wanted to see how it would end. I don't think there is enough interest in the wider community to revive it in any form.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #77
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Someone mentioned before about the only way an answer could be given was by going off into something stupid like aliens. I agree with that but I would say that any answer would sound trite, stupid and not satisfy everyone.
I think there could have been other "solutions" besides aliens applied to the island (which I won't even try to go into here). I even think some of them could do a good job of providing answers without going too far beyond the SF-touched background we'd already seen. I do agree that, whatever was chosen, there would still be holes in the end... the writers were just too crazy with their material, and I refuse to believe they ever had a "solution" to it all that would've satisfied all of that.

I pretty much agree with your other points, though I could see a movie or books in Lost's future. After all, there was a lot of history and background provided, and years (decades... centuries!) that were never seen. A lot of potential story-fodder there.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #78
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I think there could have been other "solutions" besides aliens applied to the island (which I won't even try to go into here). I even think some of them could do a good job of providing answers without going too far beyond the SF-touched background we'd already seen. I do agree that, whatever was chosen, there would still be holes in the end... the writers were just too crazy with their material, and I refuse to believe they ever had a "solution" to it all that would've satisfied all of that.
I guess in my opinion any psuedo scientific/SF answer would have been pretty much the same. I mean what SF reason could you give for a light needing to be protected that would have come close to explaining everything and still have it make some sort of sense.

Also, I personally think the semi-religious/"big mysteries of life" overtones were far more prevalent than any SF touched background. So to suddenly pull out some sort of implausible SF reasoning at the end would have felt contrived and certainly wouldn't have answered any of the "big mysteries" type questions asked but merely given a mechanical explaination of how the island worked.

Of course since I was more interested in the character stories and those "big mysteries of life" and felt that the mysteries of the island were never going to be satisfactorily answered, that will colour my view on the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
I pretty much agree with your other points, though I could see a movie or books in Lost's future. After all, there was a lot of history and background provided, and years (decades... centuries!) that were never seen. A lot of potential story-fodder there.
I could see books or comics being done I suppose but I can't see another tv series or movie. I just don't think there is wide enough appeal to warrant the cost.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #79
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
How lost should have ended.

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #80
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
How lost should have ended.

Excellent! THAT would have answered EVERYTHING.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
books, future, lost, media, sequels