Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #46
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
The kindle 2 as well as the Sony 600 & 700 (as well as some other newer readers) have the Epson controller I believe. Its a faster processer. I had a kindle 1 and a Sony 505 and yes I do notice the difference. Page turning is a bit faster.
I have a 505, so I just wonder how it is in comparison to that.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #47
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I have been saying since the day I joined that eBook readers are too expensive.

I think the excitement this thread has generated proves that even among the early adopters there is a demand for a lower price, even if it means accepting refurbished goods.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I believe the marketing said the page turns were 25% faster on the K2 vs the K1. Would be the same for the 505 since I think it uses the same screen and processor as the K1.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #49
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I sold my kindle 1 for 215 just a couple of months ago...and am glad I didn't waste any time.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #50
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If the responses on this thread (and on other forums) are any indication, Amazon has performed an amazing marketing coup. They wait until Sony has shown what it is going to offer later in the year, and then flood the market with markedly reduced pricing on K1s and K2s that carry the same return policy/1 year warrenty as new models - but with an unknown quantity available and unknown time of availability - which in many/most cases is enough of an incentive to push those buyers waiting for a lower priced (maybe) Sony later this year to jump onto this deal now and buy, buy, buy before the offer vanishes! Brilliant! Amazon doesn't have to offer a new or improved model, just lower the price to find the price point at which buyers will jump (and forget all about those other readers). So, by Xmas, when Sony releases its new models, its intended market has shrunk, and its pricing strategy may need reworking.

I wonder if the $149 price will set a standard for ebook readers that are only ebook readers - on the way to the mythical desired $99 discussed in previous articles.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #51
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, as long as it isn't slower than my 505. I am fine with the speed on that.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #52
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
While Amazon is selling their refurbished units for $149, with the 1 year warranty.........others on the same page are selling their used ones for between $195-$235.......the last one coming to you with a "cat bite in the upper right hand corner plastic"........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...3197875&sr=8-2
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #53
Hellmark
Wizard

On ebay, they're selling for more. Just out of curiosity, I looked there yesterday, and I saw people wanting over $400 for them. No bidders on any of those, but there were more sky high ones than not.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #54
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
While Amazon is selling their refurbished units for $149, with the 1 year warranty.........others on the same page are selling their used ones for between $195-$235.......the last one coming to you with a "cat bite in the upper right hand corner plastic"........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...3197875&sr=8-2
Hey - of course it costs more - personally inspected and rejected by a cat!
Somebody's got to pay for the therapy the cat needed b/c the Kindle owner paid more attention to the reader than the cat!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #55
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I paid $190 for my used one 8 months ago. It was a good deal at the time, they're definitely worth $150 with a warranty. Personally I was thinking of selling mine because it doesn't support ePub otherwise I use it every day. The K1 is a good device.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I believe the marketing said the page turns were 25% faster on the K2 vs the K1. Would be the same for the 505 since I think it uses the same screen and processor as the K1.
The 505 is faster at page turns then the K1 since the 505 uses a faster screen controller. The K2 & 600 both use the Epson controller and faster processors so they are both faster at page turns
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #57
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I bought 2 for my young cousins! Such a good deal, I wonder how much stock they have..
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #58
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I ordered one Tuesday, and just received it. They are absolutely like new. Shrink wrap and all. Perfect condition, you'd never know they were 'refurbished'

One good thing about the K1, only requires 2 hrs to completely charge.

so I've taken it out of the package, will load with books I know the granddaughter will like, make sure it works perfectly, and put it all back. After that she's on her own......

Happy Birthday, sweetie!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #59
jamesh2
jamesh2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Well, seeing this discussion was temptation enough. Last night i ordered my Kindle 1, and for the extra $10 i got 2 day shipping as well. This is a great price. As a side note, in case anyone is on the edge like i was, sign up for the Amazon credit card and get an extra 30 off. I already had it but was telling the better half about it in case she wanted one as well.
jamesh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:09 AM   #60
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
while this is a fair price for a K1, after owning K1 since it's near the original release, I do see buying another. I don't see a reason to buy one given the next 6-months will be when ebook reader devices really begin to mature and evolve.

The one and only perk is the web access. It can be useful to access the wiki or what not for a fast fact check, well, in the Wiki's case...well, you know... Still for $150 it's a more reasonable price for the K1 refurbs.

In reality the K1 refurbs should be a $99 reader...if Amazon did that I bet they would sell out in a week or less. That would likely be a Q4 ebook sales boost for Amazon. Plus Amazon is able to sell of dead stock as they reduce their inventory of refurbs held for use as warranty/service replacements, while adding a lot of new readers (the people-kind not the Kindle-kind or "reader") to the Amazon catalog.

But, me I am waiting to see what we find for that $150 and under price this fall or early next year...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote