Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Greetings from Tobacco Road!

Hello everyone! Greetings from North Carolina tobacco country, 45 miles east of Raleigh.

A month ago I saw the Sony reader at BJ's for the first time, and I had the hunch that eBook readers would be the #1 Christmas present of 2009.

I have two internet friends who own Kindles, one a DX and one a 2. Both are very pleased with them.

After some research, I am leaning toward the txtr which will be released in October, but I continue to keep an open mind.

My interest in an eBook reader is primarily to read public domain novels. I have read very few of the great novels. I figure that the e-reader will pay for itself with 20 PD books.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You can get them here for free. Look up at the blue bar and click on "ebooks." You can google for the reading software to read them on your PC.

I recommend the Sony, since that is what I own and love, but the Astak EZ Reader looks like a good device also.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi GA Russell, welcome to MR!

We're practically neighbors--I work in RTP. There at least a couple other active North Carolinians around too.

I've been very happy with my Kindle since I got it last Sept. At the time, I wasn't aware that there were any other choices!

I've been reading mostly PD classics that I downloaded from here. But I've also read a couple of the $0.00 Kindle books. Many of these seem to be the 1st in a series. The free book is a loss leader; the hope/expectation is that you'll get hooked and buy the others in the series. My impression is that many of these are worth what you pay for them , but the one I'm reading now (His Majesty's Dragon) is in that category and I've been surprised at what a good story it is. At least so far.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	ohaybear.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	33952 GA Russell, and welcome to Mobileread.

Like DixieGal, I can recommend the Sony becuase that's what I own and love too. But I'm sure you'll love whatever you choose.

Name:  North Carolina.gif
Views: 277
Size:  60.9 KB
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi GA Russell and welcome to MobileRead. LOTS of free public domain eBooks here.

Be sure and let us know what eBook reader you finally get
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I don't expect to get a reader until Christmastime, but I'll continue to investigate.

I gather that PlasticLogic's salespitch is that because the screen is plastic it will not crack. Has that been a problem with eBook readers?

I'll be curious to see how well Sony does with its non-wireless models. I imagine that there are a number of people who would forego the wireless aspect if they could save a hundred bucks.

However, the impression I get is that the price of eBook readers will never come down much because eInk is keeping their component priced high.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, GA!

Sony's first 3 readers have done very well, especially with members here at MR. Like Lady Blue and DixieGal, I have a Sony, but I have the 700. I love the touch screen capability but there is a bit of a glare issue. I am hoping that the new 600 will have corrected this problem and then I will probably trade over to that. There are a number of threads discussing the new Sony readers that might help you. We also have an E-Reader Device Matrix in the MR Wiki that you might find helpful, too. Good luck.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I find it interesting that so many here at MR have a Sony, because all of the few people I know with an eBook reader have a Kindle of one kind or another.

In addition to the txtr, I'm now looking at the Astak/Hanlin Pocket Pro. I wonder if the fact that there are no left and right margins on the screen will make reading a little more difficult. Any thoughts on that issue?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I find it interesting that so many here at MR have a Sony, because all of the few people I know with an eBook reader have a Kindle of one kind or another.

In addition to the txtr, I'm now looking at the Astak/Hanlin Pocket Pro. I wonder if the fact that there are no left and right margins on the screen will make reading a little more difficult. Any thoughts on that issue?
It might be because Kindle has it's own forum and Kindle owners are posting there instead of here.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Golly, in just a week I have fallen in love with both the Astak Pocket Pro and the jetBook! The txtr people had better hurry up and release what they have or the ship will leave without them!

Seriously, it has been great to read Robertb's sales pitches for the Pocket Pro, and I hope that the fellow from txtr who posted here in January will come back and give us the txtr sales pitch as well.

I don't sense that jetBook is offering North Americans much support. The love for the jetBook here seems to be coming from just a couple of guys who have taken the time to learn their machine, and then explain it to us. I was very impressed by a jetBook YouTube video done by a young guy who had bought one, and made the video because to date there had not been one yet.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
dc-k
dc-k began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Good afternoon from Chartridge, England

Hello all

Just bought a shiny new Sony Reader. I love it so far, can't believe how clear the screen is after years of desktops, laptops, phones and PDAs ...

Looking forward to reading and playing...

D
dc-k is offline   Reply With Quote