Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Custom-made my own slim folio for the dr1000s

Hey all,

Thought I'd share the folio case I customized...

Basically, I was interested in a slim soft case that could protect against the elements and protect against small falls. Most importantly, I wanted it (1) to fit in my small-ish soft briefcase (I didn't want to carry another case!), and I wanted (2) to be able to USE the dr1000s while it was in the case itself.

All of the soft cases that were small enough were not padded enough, and all the soft cases that were too large seemed to be too padded.

Then I got an idea. I found a "planner cover" (the At-a-glance #80pj20-00, link below) which was great because it's zippered and essentially allows you to pad it with whatever you want (the 'pockets' or slots where the dayplanner's 'basic' cover slides in, these are on both sides). Then I got Scotch Reclosable Fasteners (#RF7051, basically velcro, link below) which have permanent adhesive on one side and a velcro side on the other. I adhered velcro on the right inside cover of the planner cover, and then also onto the back of the iRex DR1000S (however, before I adhered the velcro's permanent adhesive onto the iRex, I applied a few lines of gift tape beneath the velcro's adhesive so that the permanent adhesive wouldn't go directly on the iRex).

(Edit: One needs to be careful with removing the device from the planner cover via the velcro. The particular velcro that I bought is strong! And so, one must be careful to remove the device else it may bend.)

The last step has been to add something to serve as padding. It's possible to use just about anything, even crumpled newspaper. The only problem with these fillers is that they lose shape over time (i.e. foam, bubble wrap, newspaper). I've decided to try out Foohy Gooshy Grips (#73740) that I found at the store (link below). These Gooshy Grips usually serve as sleeves on pencils or pens for kids. They are made out of some kind of (very soft but bouncy) polymer, and behave a bit like springs. I taped a bunch onto two separate pieces of cardboard and inserted those into the pockets where the dayplanner covers are supposed to go.

I bought all three necessary items below at 'Staples' (USA).

Looks good so far! And the best part for me is that this slim padded folio can fit in my small soft briefcase!

-cmhsieh54

http://www.dayrunner.com/webapp/wcs/...-1_false_10053
http://www.rapidsupplies.com/index.a...D&ProdID=34751
http://www.amazon.com/Foohy-Gooshy-G.../dp/B000H52DUI

Last edited by cmhsieh54; 08-04-2009 at 02:48 PM.
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
My only concern would be if it doesn't have a hard shell to protect the screen from frontal impact. The DR1000 seems to be better than the iLiad, but usually the thing that kills eInk readers is the screen being cracked from hitting something. Most of the official covers have a hard shell in the front for protection, which yours doesn't appear to have.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Heres my layout

Zeroshock and a basic resume portfolio case. I like this because I can slide my DR1000S in and out of the Zeroshock without having to hold an entire flip case as I read (I don't want to add weight to the DR1000S while I'm reading from it). Its the best of both worlds for me. I get the same protection that I would get from a flip case or the Irex Porfolio case but I have a much easier time getting the DR1000S out of the case which is my preferred way to read with it, those little straps make it annoying to get out of the flip cases and with the open sides you can't not have the DR locked into it if you are putting it in your bag. The Zeroshock is a full zip case so there's no chance of the DR1000 falling out of it even though its not strapped in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZeroShock.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	33629   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZeroShock Open.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	33630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portfolio.JPG
Views:	365