Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
adamas
adamas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX: updating firmware through PC. Possible?

Hello everyone!

I'll be getting my Kindle DX in exactly 8 days and I got a firmware-related question(s) here:
1. Is it possible to update DX's firmware through PC (download from pc>transfer to kindle)?
2. If so, where exactly can I get the latest firmwares? (url)

I know that in the U.S. DX updates through Whispernet, but I'm based in Europe so I'm trying to figure out the best way to stay updated.

Thanks a lot in advance!
adamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Yes, you can update without Whispernet. A few days after the firmware is released into the wild, it gets posted on the Amazon site (and usually other places ) You simply download, copy to the root of the Kindle and use the menu command to "Update my Kindle" This has been true for the Kindle and the Kindle 2. One has to assume it will be the same for the DX.

I don't know if any updates have been posted yet for the DX, so I can't point you to a URL, sorry.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
adamas

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Yes, you can update without Whispernet. A few days after the firmware is released into the wild, it gets posted on the Amazon site (and usually other places ) You simply download, copy to the root of the Kindle and use the menu command to "Update my Kindle" This has been true for the Kindle and the Kindle 2. One has to assume it will be the same for the DX.

I don't know if any updates have been posted yet for the DX, so I can't point you to a URL, sorry.
Thanks a lot for your answer!

The thing is that I went to Amazon, there they got a page named "Kindle Support". Under it there's a section for both Kindle DX and Kindle 2, but there is NOTHING about any updates, firmwares and the like. Search for those words doesn't show anything as well.

So my question is, let's say I want to find an "official" place where they put out firmwares for Kindle 2 (since it's an older device which had a few firmwares). Where would I find that?
In other words it was very weird when I couldn't find the "place" where there supposed to store firmwares (eg: a section named "Firmwares", but empty for now).

But still, it's good to hear that I can at least update via PC, so thanks a bunch!

P.S. Where do they announce when a firmware comes out?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Last time there were updates, they were available directly from Amazon as seen in this blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogkindle
Updating Kindle Firmware
After my last post about custom Kindle firmwares possibly making appearance soon, I received several emails with questions on how official firmware updates should be applied. Indeed there is very little information in the User’s Manual on how to update the Kindle software.

Normally Kindle 2 would automatically download appropriate software updates if it is connected to the WhisperNet and automatically intall it when Kindle goes into sleep mode. Update installation will be followed by a reboot.

If you are don’t have Sprint EVDO coverage and therefore don’t have access to WhisperNet update can be done manually by following these steps:

Download appropriate update file from Amazon.com. Kindle 1 updates should be downloaded from http://www.amazon.com/update_kindle.bin. Kindle 2 users should download from http://www.amazon.com/update_kindle2.bin. It’s very important not to mix these files as you can possibly brick your Kindle by installing the wrong update.
Connect your Kindle to your PC via USB cable.
Once Kindle USB drive is mounted copy the downloaded file to the root folder of it.
Unmount the drive using Safely remove installed hardware icon in the system tray (next to the clock, volume control icon etc)
Disconnect Kindle from the PC.
Go to the Home Screen, press Menu and select settings and then select “Update Your Kindle”. If your Kindle is already updated the menu item will be gray and you will not be able to select it.
Once update is installed your Kindle will reboot.
Please be extremely careful when following these instructions and even then do it at your own risk!
The links mentioned above are still active, BTW, but not for the DX, of course.

Trust me, if you're active in the Kindle community, here or on other kindle sites, you won't be able to miss a firmware update (or font hacks, or screensaver hacks)
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamas View Post
So my question is, let's say I want to find an "official" place where they put out firmwares for Kindle 2 (since it's an older device which had a few firmwares). Where would I find that?
In other words it was very weird when I couldn't find the "place" where there supposed to store firmwares (eg: a section named "Firmwares", but empty for now).
It's here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680

It was the link off the page you were looking at called, "Kindle Software Updates".
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #6
adamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
It's here:

It was the link off the page you were looking at called, "Kindle Software Updates".
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!

tlrowley: appreciate your input as well, especially on hacks : )
Old 07-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
unrequited
Zealot

One last thing... every time a new update gets released, I try and cull all of the unofficial changes into a log since there is no official changelog. These might help you if you've missed an update or two or want to wait to see what's been addressed...

Kindle DX Changelogs
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48809

Kindle 2 Changelogs
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...479#post397479
Old 07-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
adamas

Quote:
One last thing... every time a new update gets released, I try and cull all of the unofficial changes into a log since there is no official changelog. These might help you if you've missed an update or two or want to wait to see what's been addressed...

Kindle DX Changelogs
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48809

Kindle 2 Changelogs
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...479#post397479
Yeah, I saw the one for K2, and it's very nice and handy (to put it mildly!) to have the one for DX. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
endorphin
endorphin began at the beginning.

Device: Plastic Logic
It has been useful to me also, thanks!

Now... we must wait for a really upgrade in the pdf management...
endorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
unrequited
Zealot

Quote:
It's here:

Quoting myself because the firmware download links aren't on the page anymore... anybody know where they went?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I was on the verge of buying a Kindle DX. I live in a place where Amazon's wireless service is inaccessible. Amazon doesn't sell kindle or ebooks to where I live.

Good thing I read this thread. It looks like Amazon doesn't want customers to download firmware to their PC and transfer it to the device. I don't want to own a DX that couldn't be updated at all.

Sigh, I guess iPad is the way to go.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
adamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I was on the verge of buying a Kindle DX. I live in a place where Amazon's wireless service is inaccessible. Amazon doesn't sell kindle or ebooks to where I live.

Good thing I read this thread. It looks like Amazon doesn't want customers to download firmware to their PC and transfer it to the device. I don't want to own a DX that couldn't be updated at all.

Sigh, I guess iPad is the way to go.
Nah, have a look here: updating IS possible without ANY hassle at all: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83454

And I would not recommend iPad as a reading device, to start off it has an LCD display, meaning it's very bright and colorful and I'd kill myself if I had to read on that kind of screen. Two, iPad works around 10 hours or so, while my Kindle DX lasts around a month (at least with MY amount of reading).
So I'm not saying get a Kindle, but what I AM saying is: get a device with a e-paper display, which is easy on the eyes and which is AS CLOSE as reading off an electronic device can get to reading a real book.

Tags
firmware, kindle, kindledx, update, usb