Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I was very surprised by IKEA quality. I thought that for such price, all shelves will bend under books weight within 2-3 years. However, 4 years and no signs of shelf deformation, considering that all my books are hardback editions or worse.
Considering some of my shelves are about 20 years old, and always have been carrying books, and none are bent, I'd say the quality is good enough
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #17
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
we've got ours in too many places to mention - there's a bookcase in every room (except our bedroom where they're on the floor !!!) - there's even one in the barn (where the we keep the books we aren't too fond of ........)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #18
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hang on a mo, though - you telling us that electronic books aren't real !!!!!!!!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
I give all my books away once I read them...

:: Ducking for cover:::

Usually to the local library... I only keep my major text books ( only the ones I KNOW I will need later)

See... I am a self proclaimed rat pack... and I hate it so I try to Spring clean... say once a day...?

I marvel at the amount of hoopla I collect, and sometimes sit and consider that maybe the Amish are onto something...
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I was very surprised by IKEA quality. I thought that for such price, all shelves will bend under books weight within 2-3 years. However, 4 years and no signs of shelf deformation, considering that all my books are hardback editions or worse.
worse? you're reading on stone tablets?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I keep my books in:
1. Boxes - 4-5 boxes in the closet.
2. Bookcases - I have three
3. Stacked in piles on the floor - I have lots of these.

Every time I move, or Spring Clean, I throw out any books I don't think I will want to re-read.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #22
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Bookshelves. Lots and lots and LOTS of bookshelves. Waaaaay too many bookshelves. In most rooms of my house. Some custom made by me, others purchased from various places. I like eBooks -- they don't take up physical space.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Hang on a mo, though - you telling us that electronic books aren't real !!!!!!!!!!
Now, now, I'm sure he meant to say "paper" books.

right, Gideon?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
worse? you're reading on stone tablets?
Very similar

Such as:
The Lord of the Rings - 3 book boxset [Illustrated]
The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit (illustrated hardback)
The Silmarillion

vs. standard hardback editions they are like stone tablets
I am not talking about Sherlock Holmes
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
No, clearly ebooks are not real books. :P

Yes, I was wondering how long it'd take for me to get called on that one.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #26
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
How Do You Store your *REAL* books?
In my eBook reader or in my PC

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #27
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I've gotten rid of most of my pbooks because I rarely reread fiction. I've kept things I'm likely to reread, things I loved so much that I would like to have them on hand to lend to people and reference/technical books. I, however, am married to a packrat. In addition, he actually does reread many books so he has a good reason for hanging on to quite a few of them. We got to the point that our shelves were beyond full. The shelves with paperbacks had them stacked two rows high and two rows deep. You couldn't find anything and we still had books in stacks that we couldn't squeeze on the shelves. Everywhere we could fit a bookshelf, has a bookshelf. At this point I convinced him to at least get rid of the books he didn't like. It helped that I also calculated for him the cost in square footage devoted to book storage. We have now started boxing and cataloging stuff that we are less likely to need in the immediate future. I just have to accept that we're opposites in some things. This is one of them. He has an emotional attachment to the paper books as objects. I don't. I prefer reading on a device. I view them as dustcatchers. I hate clutter and would rather have all my books in electronic form except for things that are best on paper, like art books.

You could actually still use a boxing method as long as you kept the stuff you access fairly frequently somewhere easy like slide-out bins under the bed, as someone else mentioned. The rest could go in banker boxes in the closets. Then you can just have a small number of bookshelves for the current reads and stuff you know you want all the time. Are you attached to the DVD packaging? We saved a lot of space there by dumping the cases and putting them all in binders. My husband has a fairly large collection and he was able to fit it in three big binders. I actually don't have any DVDs. Just like I rarely reread novels, I rarely watch the same movie or show more than once.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #28
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

I'm actually ripping all of my disks to hard drive currently, so I can box them all away. We use the computer for a 'tv' anyway, so this isn't too big a deal (though time consuming! It'll take weeks!)

I even considered going through books that way, slowly scanning them all, but my scanner went kaput so ... so much for that.

Right now the box option is sounding 'best' but it is contingent on finding an apartment with lots of closet space. A "sliding" option sounds ideal, but since most my books are large they don't fit in the underbed bins I've found (and it'd only hold a few anyway, really.)

So I'll probably box most the books, get one doored bookshelf and keep what I'm most likely to use in there.

I keep hoping there will be some sort of magical solution.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #29
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interesting stuff.I have a HP Media Smart Server that streams via PVCONNECT to my Netgear EVA. Currently have about 2 TB of movies ripped. Mostly ripped to Divx or xvid as I am not playing HD yet.......
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #30
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

I put everything into mp4/aac format since I know I can play it on anything in the house that way. A bit bigger than DIVX, but decent quality.

I don't mess about HD videos myself. I don't have anything that can rip the ones I do have and wouldn't want to have to store the files even if I did. But it'll be nice to be able to box up everything and still be able to watch our movies. If only it was that easy with books!