Notices

Old 12-29-2004, 04:42 PM   #16
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
(I did read a short essay about Mishima, though). So, I'll give him a try, for sure.
Ah, Mishima!

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #17
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
On the 'digital side' I'm currently reading Michael Connelly's "City of Bones", Lynn Hightower's "Fortunes of the Dead" and Sherman Alexie's "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven." For my job I'm reading the clinical case file of the Parker-Hume Murder (the real-life case the film "Heavenly Creatures" was based on). In the 'anolog format' (paper books) I'm reading "Black Dahlia Avenger" by Steve Hodel.

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2005, 10:07 PM   #18
lasseelady
Banned
lasseelady began at the beginning.

Hello I am new on this message board. I am a internet assistant to Mark Raney, a virtually unknown author. Mark has an ebook website, www.markraney.com and he needs a tester. He needs someone that has a handheld reader to go to his site and download his short story (FREE) DREAM - He needs to see if it is possible to read this
story on a handheld. We do not own a handheld and are not sure of their capabilities.
Could you please try this for us. Lasseelady lasseelady@yahoo.com
lasseelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
lasseelady
Banned
lasseelady began at the beginning.

I would like to invite everyone here to visit www.markraney.com
for a great selection of instant download e-books written by author Mark Raney.
Mark is a native North Carolinian and has a history and love of sea adventures.
Two of his novels are available now for FREE DOWNLOAD, the novels are
SHELLCASTLE and SMILE FOR ME, I'M CRYING.

We would love for you to stop by his website and download your copy today. Then please share this info with your friends. Mark needs the publicity badly and I am running out of places to go. I was so excited to see that people here actually read ebooks. That is music to my ears.

Lasseelady
Writers Assistant to Mark Raney
lasseelady@yahoo.com
lasseelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #20
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Hey All,

Right now I'm reading The Cobra Event by Richard Preston. Just started and so far so good. Have only been reading it for two days. My next book will be The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket. By the way doing this all on my zire71...
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #21
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I just recently finished Numbered Account by Christopher Reich. It was wonderful as were all of the books I've read by him. (I got the eReader version, which was very nice, and not very expensive in a Reich bundle. Actually, it might have even come with the Pro Bundle.. can't remember.)

I'm now reading Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens. I am a Dickens fan, but every time I pick up one of his books (Great Expectations, David Copperfield, etc.) I hate the first part. It's so slow and hard to keep track of the characters. There doesn't seem to be much happening and it's just boring. I ask myself "why am I reading this?" And then at some point I start to get into it and it turns into one of the best books I've ever read. Martin Chuzzlewit is starting out the same way. Slow, but getting a little interesting now already. Knowing Dickens, I'm counting on it becoming a masterpiece if I give it time. We'll see.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 PM   #22
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I'm reading "No plot, no problem", by the nanowrimo inventor, Chris Baty. I'm eager to participate in nanowrimo next November!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #23
Alistair
Alistair began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T
I am reading "Dragonsblood" at the moment.
Alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:06 PM   #24
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
I am reading The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket it's great!
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #25
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've heard (from reading the movie review) that Lemony Snicket is similar to Harry Potter, just darker?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #26
Ebooksread
Ebooksread began at the beginning.

http://www.ebookslist.org/index.php?...=For%20Dummies
http://www.ebookslist.org/index.php?...c&ebookid=2660
Ebooksread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:38 PM   #27
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Currently reading Titan a new Star Trek novel at the moment. The book picks up after the events of the last Trek movie and follows Riker on his first command. The book is holding my interest so far.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #28
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
My tastes run from spy to mysteries to science fiction, fantasy and horror.

I just finished 'Bangkok Tattoo' by John Burdett which is a murder mystery set in Bangkok's exotic red-light district. The novel takes a very circuitous route in solving the crime but this is very much what the author wants to do: illustrait the difference between the Western mind and the Eastern mind. I found it very entertaining.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:09 AM   #29
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm reading "Le rouge et le noir" (The red and the black) by Stendhal, classic french literature. (I'm learning french, that's why I'm reading it in original language.)
So far it's a little bit boring but it's still interesting. (Men... it's a long book!)
After watching Spielberg's "War of the worlds" (Which is not THAT bad) I want to read HG Well's original book to see how they differ.

PS: I'm searching for The emperor of scent" on the net. Anyone has a link?
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #30
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I just finished "Anti-Grav Unlimited" by Duncan Long; some interesting ideas but, on-balance, only a so-so piece of SF (available from Baen Books). I recently read a few more issues of Planet Magazine (good stuff).

I'm currently in the middle of O Henry's short story collection "The Voice of the City". O Henry is one of my favorite writers and this collection hasn't let me down; highly recommended. His stories are based so much on human nature and not specific surroundings, that they seem current a century after they were written and not "distant", despite being set in the NYC of ~1900 and I'm reading them from my porch in Key West.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote