Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Connor Carroll
Connor Carroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Colon in title turns into an underscore on Kindle menu

Hello,

I added a book to my kindle that has a colon in the title;' when I added it to my Kindle, the title turned the colon into an underscore. "The Irish Americans: A History" become "The Irish Americans_ A History."

Is there any way to use Calibre to change this so that it correctly displays the colon in the title? I tried going in to edit the metadata but I wasn't successful in making it display correctly on my Kindle. It's bothering me a lot for some reason. I know it's possible because I have other books with colons in the title that display correctly.

Thanks!

CC
Connor Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Connor Carroll

I used the Send to Kindle app to send the book to my Kindle. I don't know if that application is responsible for the colon/underscore thing or what.
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Connor Carroll

Never mind; I tried dragging and dropping the book directly to my Kindle and the same problem persists.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A Colon is not allowed in filenames
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The filename or the book title in the Kindle home screen? The filename as theducks said will not be able to be saved with a colon, but the metadata title should have a colon if you check in the Kindle home screen.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
Connor Carroll

I want the colon to show up on the Kindle home screen. The metadata title has a colon but it's not displaying on the Kindle.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The file in question is probably a PDF. Kindle's cannot read metadata from PDF files, therefore they use the filenames. Your only options are to change the colon to a semi-colon or other separator character, or use a format other than PDF, or use a device other than a Kindle, that can read metadata from PDF
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Connor Carroll

Ok! Thanks for your help!

Tags
colon, metadata, underscore