Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
cuse845
cuse845 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Install PRS+ on Sony PRS 600

Hi,
I have no idea how to do this and have wasted 3 hours.

I have downloaded PRSP_6002.0.18.zip and unzipped it on my desktop. I then unzipped the flasher on the desktop. The directions say to run the flasher...nothing happens for me. Anyways please help, this is a gift. I already have tons of books on the sd card. Do I have to format everything first?

Please be specific as to the steps thanks.
cuse845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Hi

Did you deactivate UAC (I guess you have Win Vista or Win 7)?
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
cuse845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Hi

Did you deactivate UAC (I guess you have Win Vista or Win 7)?
Yes, I have windows 7 and typed in UAC in the start bar and moved the slider to "never notify..." on the bottom.

Does nothing. If I run the flasher a black box pops up with a c prompt.

I find it hard to believe their are no directions on how to install this. Any number to call or online support somewhere?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Could try looking in the relevant fixed thread in section above and/or asking there... The directions didn't seem that difficult to follow when I installed on half a dozen Sonys but I guess that depends on mindset and/or equipment/software of user... it also might be better to remove the SD card before doing the flashing - you are attaching your 600 to the computer and have checked that it is seeing the 600 attached... should show as mounted drives (like memory sticks or SD cards)...

And as for a number to call - you had noticed that this stuff is FREE, it's done by people because they want to do it for themselves and thought others might also like it... it isn't a paid company producing paid for software!!!
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
cuse845

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Could try looking in the relevant fixed thread in section above and/or asking there... The directions didn't seem that difficult to follow when I installed on half a dozen Sonys but I guess that depends on mindset and/or equipment/software of user... it also might be better to remove the SD card before doing the flashing - you are attaching your 600 to the computer and have checked that it is seeing the 600 attached... should show as mounted drives (like memory sticks or SD cards)...

And as for a number to call - you had noticed that this stuff is FREE, it's done by people because they want to do it for themselves and thought others might also like it... it isn't a paid company producing paid for software!!!
Since you have done it on half a dozen Sony's could you give me directions then? Like what is the proper starting procedure? So no SD card in the device? Copy flasher and Prsplus to the internal drive...I guess you are alluding to that since you say to take out the SD card. That is already different than the directions. Which internal drive?

When I plug in the Sony it populates drives I (internal drive), K (SD card) and L (Sony installer, I assume internal)

Thanks for the help
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You might try using the flasher from the PC... it's got a .bat file that runs the .exe and other stuff that is in the SF folder... also the readme in the base flasher folder explains this step by step... when you've finished this then put the PRSPInstaller stuff in internal drive and restart...

Someone else might want to check this... it's been years since I did a 600... just because I've done a number doesn't mean I remember every step... I just used the info on the wiki at the time I did it...

ALso if you're still unsure then ask on the PRS+ thread above, get it seriously wrong and you can (and probably will) brick your 600...

Last edited by elcreative; 09-08-2012 at 06:51 AM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Not might, must run the (base-flasher once from a PC.

Relevant Readme.txt form the projektpage
Spoiler:
nstallation

MAKE SURE YOUR READER IS CHARGED before starting installation!!!

1) Install base image. (Skip this step if you've already done it before)
1.1) Unpack PRSP_600_base_flasher_1.0_by_amutin.zip on your PC
1.2) Vista/Win7 users: disable UAC (read here how to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-command-line/ )
1.3) Connect your PRS 600 to your PC
1.4) run runme.bat (doubleclick it)
1.5) Sony's standard flasher UI will show up (that's why you need to disable UAC, this installer modifies Sony's, to install custom image)
1.6) Follow instructions on the screen.

Note: don't forget to restore UAC.

2) Install the update
2.1) Unpack PRSPInstaller folder from this archive to the root of the internal memory of the reader.
2.2) Restart the reader (there is no installer UI), installer will do all necessary steps during startap (invisible to the user, takes a couple of seconds).
2.3) Delete PRSPInstaller folder from internal memory (if it is still there )

Linux / MacOS users

You will need Windows for the first installation.
Subsequent updates could be installed by simply unpacking ...update.zip to internal memory and rebooting the reader.

You are welcome to ask in the main-PRS+ thread too.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse845 View Post
Yes, I have windows 7 and typed in UAC in the start bar and moved the slider to "never notify..." on the bottom.

Does nothing. If I run the flasher a black box pops up with a c prompt.

I find it hard to believe their are no directions on how to install this. Any number to call or online support somewhere?
PRS+ is a non-profit, solely hobby and voluntary developed firmware-addon.

You are welcome (and encouraged) to check out the project-page especially the WIKI or post in the above mentioned main-thread,

Last edited by Mark Nord; 09-08-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
cuse845

Thanks. I posted in the main forum. Now I have this problem

I ended up running the flasher from the internal drive and then external drive on the Sony PRS600.

Now the problem is:
The flasher runme says.

....connecting
....checking recovery system
...error 601
...press any key to continue
which then just boots out

on the ereader: it says
updating firmware now
but it is just hung...how long should it take?

the computer recognizes drive I: the internal drive but does not recognize SD drives.
I cannot copy anything onto to drive I. It says"please insert a disk into removable disk (I"

Please help
Thanks