Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Best epub device for testing

If I could only get one epub device to use for testing epub files, what should it be? I already have a Kindle and the only advantage I can see to having an epub reading device besides being able to do my own testing would be for the better nested TOC.

I realize that every device is different and no one device will guarantee that it works on others.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Not sure what you are planning. Just testing? Do you plan on keeping the reader once testing is done? And why are you testing? Are you a writer and want to see how your epub versions looks?

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're just going to test, I'd suggest doing so on ADE on a PC or Mac. ADE is as close to an ePub "reference platform" as you'll get - pretty much all ePub devices use ADE (the one notable exception being iBooks).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Forgive me for not being more specific. I'm creating DRM free e-books from public domain type content. So basically I just want to see how the epubs look. It seems a little irresponsible putting things out there I have never looked at as epubs. I am creating the content using Sigil so I have some amount of confidence they are good files. I would likely hold onto the device for future testing.

@Harry: Thanks for that. I will give it a go.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
If its just for testing, I'd say find a used or refurbished ereader of reputable name brand. Sony, Nook, Kobo, etc. Lots of prior generation Sony readers are around that you should be able to pick up off ebay, or even the sale section on this board. Make sure it can read epubs, I believe that some of their oldest models didn't. First gen Nooks should also be readily found at good price. You should set a target price of between $50 to $79.... more than that and you can practically buy it new.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're just going to test, I'd suggest doing so on ADE on a PC or Mac. ADE is as close to an ePub "reference platform" as you'll get - pretty much all ePub devices use ADE (the one notable exception being iBooks).
+1. Given individual devices' idiosyncrasies, you're better off not buying any and just testing with ADE.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote