Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
coxwalls
coxwalls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
emailing from calibre to my kindle fails

When I try to email a book to my kindle, I get the message that the email has failed. I have double checked that I have given the correct kindle email address - but I must have done something wrong!

I would appreciate advice.

Gerald
coxwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Posting the exact error message would help- we're getting some interference with our telepathy due to magnetic storms from the sun this week.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
coxwalls

calibre, version 0.8.16
ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email The Avenger to coxwalls@kindle.com

Starting job: Email The Avenger to coxwalls@kindle.com

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 112, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...

File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 112, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Job: "Email The Avenger to coxwalls@kindle.com" failed with error:
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 92, in __call__

Called with args: (u'/var/folders/tF/tFMeG4EnEaO5pjUFaK9EvE+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.8.16_tmp_tKwlk2/lQzEiacaltmpfmt.mobi', u'The Avenger - E. Phillips Oppenheim.mobi', u'coxwalls@kindle.com', u'E-book: The Avenger', u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\nThe Avenger\n\tby E. Phillips Oppenheim\n\nin the MOBI format.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x11aa3cdd0>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x1219afd90>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x11aa77290>}
Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
coxwalls

I hope that was the printout you wanted

I have just sent a book by copying it to an email addressed to coxwalls@kindle.com

This has reached my kindle with no problem
Old 09-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Check out the solutions in these threads here and here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
coxwalls

I'm just not getting anywhere - I have gone into email preferences - clicked on use gmail filled in the other =details and sent a test - this has vanished somewhere in the ether. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to have another look at it.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Again, "vanished somewhere in the ether" isn't terribly descriptive. Do you mean that the mail didn't arrive at the destination? Does it show up in your GMail sent mail folder? Did you get an error message?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
coxwalls

No - it neither arrived nor appeared in my gmail sent folder
Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxwalls View Post
No - it neither arrived nor appeared in my gmail sent folder
Test by sending to your own gmail account vice amazon.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Test by sending to your own gmail account vice amazon.
Aren't those messages indicating some sort of "failure to authenticate" (log in) properly? Could it be a Firewall issue?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
coxwalls

I am not sure how send to my gmail account via amazon. I have just tried sending an email from my gmail account to my kindle account with a pdf attached, but it has not appeared on the kindle - something I have done many times before!

It seems I have mucked up my contact with amazon!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
coxwalls

Might it be an idea to unregister my kindle with amazon and then re-registr it? I've done that using my kindle. Amazon picked up the changes I made immediately, so there is a connection between my kindle and amazon.

The problem is that amazon either does not receive or does not transmit anything I send to my kindle address. I have used the sync and check facility - the report comes back that there are no new items for download

Does MAC have a firewall?

Last edited by coxwalls; 09-07-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
coxwalls

There certainly seems to be something peculiar happening with my normal email - That's when an email to Kindle "just vanishes into the ether"

However, I have used another email account and can now mail documents through that account to the kindle.

I am assuming the username is the email address but I have no idea what the "hostname" is
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxwalls View Post
There certainly seems to be something peculiar happening with my normal email - That's when an email to Kindle "just vanishes into the ether"

However, I have used another email account and can now mail documents through that account to the kindle.

I am assuming the username is the email address but I have no idea what the "hostname" is
Hostname is the (custom) mail Server to use. Like: smtp.yahoo.com to send
depending on your host, you may need a full email address to logon:username@hostname (note: this hosname may be different than the one used to send. consult the HOST ISP's documents for proper settings
port is the port the specified Hostname expects for authentication. 25 is the old standard (weak). 587 is a common (more secure).
Many ISP will no longer accept a port 25 logon from outside their own network (address space).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote