Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #121
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Baen e-library

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
All of the Schmitz works are available in ebook form from the Baen Free Library.

The "Federation of the Hub" series is classic work, and Telzey Amberdon is one of the best female protagonists in SF. (Trigger Argee is a close second.)

Note, however, that _Agent of Vega_ is not set in the Hub universe. It's a stand alone volume of linked stories in a different setting.
______
Dennis
Thanks so much for that information about the Baen Free Library. It is great that one can get that series there in such a good format. I also found that some of the books offered for purchase are excellent value too.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #122
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
Thanks so much for that information about the Baen Free Library.
You're welcome.

Quote:
It is great that one can get that series there in such a good format. I also found that some of the books offered for purchase are excellent value too.
Baen is a specialty publisher, offering mid-level action/adventure SF and fantasy. Their intent is that if you like one thing they publish, you'll probably like a lot of the others.

They are also doing a good job of keeping classic stuff like Schmitz available. Credit the late Jim Baen and Eric Flint, who were republishing the stuff that they loved as younger readers, and who bet (correctly) that they weren't the only ones who would enjoy the works.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #123
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
The Torch of Honor actually has some realistic spaceflight technology (ignoring the FTL drive, of course). And it does a great job of involving the reader with the heroic protagonist in his struggle against the incredibly evil invaders. Starships, epic space battles, undercover insurgent actions in enemy occupied territories, what's not to like?

The Ring of Charon and The Shattered Sphere are just flat-out awesome. The science is reasonably hard, but the scale and scope is truly of space opera dimensions. And the ending in the second novel is very satisfying, unlike so many space operas.
Are any of these books still in print?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #124
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
For dead tree versions try here;

http://www.amazon.com/Roger-MacBride...ntt_dp_epwbk_0

I am not sure of ebook availability for any of his books, though I notice a few when looking at a couple of darknet compilation content lists. The quality is unknown.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #125
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The first book (Leviathan Wakes) isn't available until sometime in June, I think, but The Expanse series by James S.A. Cory (aka Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) is purported to be unapologetic, old-school space opera.

Abraham claims that each individual installment will wrap-up the majority of "loose ends" (since they don't know how long the series will run).

I know it sounds like my cup of tea... especially in this day and age where the releasing of one-fifth (and less) of a book at a time seems to be all the rage.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #126
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
No, but used versions are available. Try checking at
www.bookfinder.com

Note that Torch of Honor is included in the omnibus volume Allies and Aliens.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #127
kurzon
Andrea K Höst
kurzon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have fond recollections of "Tuf Voyaging" and "The Witches of Karres"

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/776212.Tuf_Voyaging

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...ches_of_Karres
kurzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #128
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Witches of Karres seconded
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #129
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Of recent reading:

Hidden Empire by Kevin J. Anderson
Horizon Storms by Kevin J. Anderson

Better be ready to spend a year to swallow these three, around 3k pages give or take a few hundred pages.
Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton
Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton
The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton

Also I really enjoyed the Invasion Earth series by one very under rated SF author L. Ron Hubbard. This series is NOT a difficult read but it's got all manner of good fun with politics, subterfuge, betrayal and anything else one could love in a tacky space version of a soap opera. Plus any of the 100s of the genre I've read over the years which I can no longer remember.

I am not sure if Heinlein's Time Enough For Love is truly space opera, it's all to human with emotions and it will leave you misty eyed when you are done, a real rarity from Heinlein.

One last series from years gone my that might be more space adventure than space opera not sure if there is any difference but, hey I know about the net-nitpickers so one need, out of self preservation if nothing else to edit and qualify every figgin' comment anymore, but there was a series which long predated Star Trek that surrounded the the space career of John Grimes who was everything from young upstart flight officer on his first ship to a Commodore to a pirate with all the tawdry relationships and adventure that went along with a colorful life out on The Rim. Just google "john grimes A. Bertram Chandler" or look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Bertram_Chandler

These also have some loose tie-ins to the Dominc Flandry stories by Poul Andersen which are also a lot of fun. Nothing deep or introspective but more fun and escapist story telling. But still I came to care about Grimes and Flandry just made me laugh.

Oh yeah, the John Grimes and Dominic Flandry books can be had from Baen, in fact I believe you can get the Grimes series, there are three, in collections so as to keep them straight.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 02-14-2011 at 01:20 AM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #130
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Better be ready to spend a year to swallow these three, around 3k pages give or take a few hundred pages.
Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton
Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton
The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton
Better allow yourself some more time!
Because once you're finished with The Dreaming Void... You're going to want to wrap up the story with The Temporal Void and then The Evolutionary Void.

The first two books are known as the Commonwealth Saga and while they don't wrap everything up with a neat little bow... they are pretty well self-contained (and a pretty good stopping point). Then comes the Void Trilogy... which makes a lot more sense after reading the Commonwealth Saga.

There's also a precursor to all of those books called Misspent Youth. It's pretty unremarkable and not really necessary to read it.

I just didn't want anyone to think it was only 3k pages or so.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #131
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
There's also his Night's Dawn trilogy, each volume of which is about a thousand pages each as well. It gets a bit silly in places but it's entertaining stuff.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #132
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dworth
It gets a bit silly in places but it's entertaining stuff.
I agree. People always seem to rave about Night's Dawn, but I've always preferred his Commonwealth universe plot-lines over his Confederation universe. All his books tend to favor the infodump a bit too much, but he eased off that a bit in the Void Trilogy.

Never mind the disappointing, unimaginative deus ex that Night's Dawn ended with if you're able to... I couldn't.

I recommend it all, of course.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #133
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Better allow yourself some more time!
Because once you're finished with The Dreaming Void... You're going to want to wrap up the story with The Temporal Void and then The Evolutionary Void.

The first two books are known as the Commonwealth Saga and while they don't wrap everything up with a neat little bow... they are pretty well self-contained (and a pretty good stopping point). Then comes the Void Trilogy... which makes a lot more sense after reading the Commonwealth Saga.

There's also a precursor to all of those books called Misspent Youth. It's pretty unremarkable and not really necessary to read it.

I just didn't want anyone to think it was only 3k pages or so.
Ohhhh, d-e-a-r god!! hahaha!!! I did not realize there is MORE and was more before. Gads, I wonder if Hamilton dictates this stuff to Dagon NaturallySpeaking rather tha typing since if he did type his fingers should only be tiny nubs at this point in time!

BTW, thanks as I really did enjoy the titles I've read but you are right there were some sections which I sort of blew through because the felt like filler. Now knowing there could be a needed background connection I didn't have it makes mores sense. Sigh, as if my 1100 title TBR list is not long enough. I really need to get a catheter and a feeding tube to get this stuff done!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #134
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid
Now knowing there could be a needed background connection I didn't have it makes mores sense.
There is really nothing from Misspent Youth that's necessary. It takes place on Earth in a very near future and describes (explains) the whole "re-life" or rejuvenation process that allows humans to live for so long. There is nothing that you need from that book to understand what is going on the later books... and frankly, if you went back and read it now, you'd be quite disappointed. It's really rather bad.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #135
snipenekkid
Banned

thanks and, it's OK if it's not a great read as it could be, I'll add it. Havine read and liked the first two Unincorporated Man trilogy (or given the way dead horses get beat down these days, series) which did have the whole re-animation thing as a main plot element, it might be fun to compare approach used in Misspent Youth anyway.

And really thanks for the added detail on the whole Void universe, I did a fast look at the wiki and really it's far more than I imagined. I don't know why but I am so fixed that no matter what the titles a trilogy is enough. Then I remember the whole Foundation trilogy being dragged into just few more stories and it wasn't awful. Same for several others. Seems to greatly depend on the author's vision for the universe being created as well as being consistent yet original with each new title to the series.